1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The General Manager search thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 1, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    There are too many random threads, I'm just going to start this one for the GM search.

So far we have permission to interview:
    David Caldwell: Falcons director of player personnel.
    Tom Gamble: 49ers director of player personnel.
    Steve Keim: Cardinals president of player personnel.

And have been rejected an interview with the Broncos Matt Russell

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Read that Raye will also interview. I will put my money on him getting the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Bah....... that's just to comply with the Rooney Rule. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Hey at least I didn't say why he would get the job. ;)

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Omar Khan, Director of Football & Business Administration or Gamble from the 9'ers.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I'd love for it to be Khan, if nothing else, anytime he makes a pick or signing I don't like I can post this. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    I think you just did. :D

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I never said anything about a Spanos pupett did I? ;)

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Not a pupett, but a puppet. ;)

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Honestly, I know jack **** about any of the possible replacements.

I'd honestly be happy no matter who they sign so long as it's not just putting John Spanos into the GM position.

I'd be willing to give J. Spanos the benefit of the doubt, but I'd also share much of the same concerns Corona has in that scenario.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    It seems apparent that John will be taking over Dean's spot, rather than taking on the GM position.

It's important to always have someone beneath you that you can blame...... and fire, if necessary. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I don't mind him taking over Dean's spot.

Somebody has to be there. At least John has some amount of training, even if he was shoved through it.

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes a spelling error. Trying to do my best on this replacement phone without a spellcheck.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    That's my take as well. Whether he "earned" his position, he at least worked at the various FO positions and was exposed to what all goes on..... including contract with Ed McGuire. He should have a better grasp of the organization than his father.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    I hate typing on phones...... too old for that tiny :poop:.

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    My main concern is that if J. Spanos is GM then who would fire him if he stunk it up? I am also concerned that Jimmy Raye would be GM in title only (puppet/mouthpiece/eventual scapegoat) and J. Spanos would be calling the shots still. Since I am such a cynical bastard (thanks Blue for the new title) I am also concerned that this whole Wolf consultant hiring is just a PR move.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Steve Keim: Cardinals president of player personnel.

Isn't this guys team in a world of shat? Did he like the Kevin Kolb trade?

I would pass on him.

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    He hasn't done much for that Cardinals O-line either.

This would be a blah hire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    What I know of the guys interviewed so far:

Steve Keim: You can't really blame him for the Cards' OL all that much on him - in fact the lone bright spot on that line is what Keim's most responsible for (Nate Potter; it was just that Wisenhunt had an aversion to starting rookies so it took an injury for Potter to finally crack the lineup). Rumor going around is that Keim wanted Adrian Peterson and Jay Cutler in their respective drafts and now-unemployed GM Rod Graves took the guys he wanted in Levi Brown and Matt Leinart, respectively.

David Caldwell: Comes from the Thomas Dimitroff (so effectively Belichick-ian) management tree, that has most recently produced Rams GM Les Snead . Dimitroff's model - which presumably would also be Caldwell's - is about head coach and GM working side-by-side, stride-for-stride, equal partnership. They also do everything the can to get their scouts as well-rounded as possible, going so far as to rotate the assignments (guys from pro scouting going to college scouting and vice versa) every couple years. It should also be noted that Atlanta has been either #1 or #2 in draft retention every year since 2008.

Tom Gamble: 24 years experience in the league, 7 with Frisco. Former Bill Polian scout. Helped build 11 playoffs teams in his tenure (2 in SF, 5 in Indy, and 4 in Philly). His father is both a former college football coach and a former President of the Eagles organization. Probably the most "qualified" in that he has experience in all aspects of management (pro and college scouting, contract negotiations, and administration).

• Informative Informative x 2
  21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +519
    I'll take Marty Schottenheimer as the new GM.
    Think about it...
    :raiderssuck:

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    Yeah, okay. Becasuse there's not a single owner in the NFL that doesn't want to see "I told you so" written all over their GM's face. Seiously, talk to your doctor about adjusting your meds.

• Useful Useful x 1
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
  25. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,222
    I'd put my money on Gamble. No pun intended.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Handful of GM candidates in Chargers' mix

Jimmy Raye will be interviewed this week as a candidate to fill the Chargers' vacancy at general manager.
    But as has been the plan all along, the team's current director of player personnel will not be the only candidate.

The team has received permission to interview at least three other personnel men around the league, said a source familiar with the search. A fourth man, Matt Russell, Broncos director of player personnel and top assistant to executive vice president of football operations John Elway, declined its interview request.

The number of known outside candidates for the Chargers' GM position is four when including Tom Telesco, the Colts' vice president of football operations who will reportedly interview for the position.

The others are 49ers Director of Player Personnel Tom Gamble, Falcons Director of Player Personnel David Caldwell, and Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel Steve Keim.

All four received promotions before the season.

Consent letters to interview them were sent out to their teams Monday.

Gamble, son of former Eagles president and GM Harry Gamble, grew up around the game and has a well-rounded portfolio, including experience in pro scouting, college scouting, NFL coaching and contract negotiations, that makes him an intriguing candidate around the league. He is in his 24th NFL season.

Last April, the 49ers promoted him from his position as director of pro personnel.

While Gamble is a regarded candidate among NFL executives, Chargers President Dean Spanos wouldn't say Monday if he'd be here, citing the privacy of the process.

"I'm not going to give out any names, but you can clearly see why," Spanos said. "There's so many teams looking for general managers and coaches. It could be a disadvantage to give out all your names."

Caldwell carries a heavy scouting background and has worked as a close confidant of Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff in the team's daily roster operation. He previously served as the Falcons' director of college scouting. Caldwell spent 10 of his 15 NFL seasons with the Colts as a scout, in charge of the western college region in 2006-2007. He oversees the pro and college scouting departments.

Keim has been with the Cardinals the past 14 years, arriving in 1999 as a regional scout. He became the franchise's director of college scouting in 2006 and director of player personnel in 2008. A former three-year starter at guard at NC State, the alma mater of Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, Keim now assists in contact negotiations and coordinates the pro and college scouting departments.

Telescco joined the Colts in 1998 as an area scout. He became a pro scout in 2001, climbing up to director of pro scouting in 2004 and director of player personnel in 2005 before being promoted last February to VP of football operations.

Spanos fired general manager A.J. Smith on Monday as well as head coach Norv Turner.

Spanos will decide the next GM, but son John Spanos, Chargers director of college scouting, Ed McGuire, assistant general manager, and Ron Wolf, a former Packers general manager whom Spanos hired as a consultant in the searches, will assist.

Wolf arrived at Chargers Park on Tuesday.

A team spokesman declined to disclose the number of GM candidates who will be interviewed.

San Diego is expected to first fill that vacancy before hiring its next head coach. The next GM will be involved in that search.

The timing of the interviews is unclear, but for Raye's, the Chargers need only to knock on his office door.

Raye, a former San Diego State wide receiver, is a long-time member of the organization, joining it in 1996 as a scout before moving to director of college scouting in 2000. He was promoted to his current role as director of player personnel in 2007.

• Like Like x 1
  27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Yes, because pro sports is littered with African American coaches and GMs who got the job because of the color of their skin. Wait, what?

28. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    We're probably not the only team after Gamble. So the Spanoses better not take long to make the decision if that's who they want.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    How would they know, if they haven't even interviewed him yet?

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    This was a joke that was carried over from another thread.