1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The General Manager search thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,455
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Seems like it's down to Jimmy Raye & Tom Telesco as possible GMs, though hearing Steve Keim (interviewing today) is friend of John Spanos.

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Friend??? This whole GM search has been a load of crap PR move if you ask me.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Keim is a very very good candidate and if he can work well with his boss, all the better. Say its crap after the candidates are picked

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    I think you said that earlier. ;)

5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Well worth repeating :p .

I also said that Kaeding was a choke artist and Matthews was a bust. I will just add this my I told you so list. :tup:

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Might want to put that in your sig. ;)

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Report: Heckert cancels interview with Jets
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2013, 7:10 AM EST
    The disclosure of Rex Ryan’s wife-in-Sanchez-jersey-while-Tebowing tattoo could be having its intended effect, even if the effect wasn’t specifically intended.​
    According to Newsday, former Browns and Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert has canceled his interview for the vacant G.M. job in New York.
    Bob Glauber of Newsday notes via Twitter that Heckert was concerned about the team’s cap situation, and not about having to work with Ryan. There’s a chance Heckert, who could be a candidate to join the Chiefs, is merely taking the high road.
    Regardless, the wide net that the Jets have cast with the assistance of NFL headhunter Jed Hughes (who if he’s being paid by the hour has no incentive to keep the field narrow) may need to get a little wider.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Just a note........ The Chargers are in NY, so they will interview Tom Gamble. No deal has been done with the Jets at this point.

9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    She crazy!

10. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Only some of the time.

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Gamble closes in on Jets G.M. job

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2013, 1:07 PM EST
    The New York Jets could soon have a new General Manager, who may or may not celebrate the move with the addition of a tattoo to his arm.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble has passed on a second interview with the Jaguars, telling them that he’s focused on the G.M. gig in New York.

Albert Breer of NFL Network reports that Gamble has delayed an interview with the Chargers, which is being interpreted as another sign that Gamble is getting ready to join the Jets.

Gamble is regarded as one of the hottest G.M. candidates on the market, thanks to his role in building a powerhouse roster in San Francisco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Not sure what would be so attractive about the Jets job, other than money. They are in cap hell, due to their win now strategy. Gamble must really like a challenge.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Chargers almost set on GM, moving into coach search

The Chargers have talked to almost everyone they believe they need to or will get a chance to talk to, and their search for a new general manager is almost certainly down to two men.

Jimmy Raye, the Chargers’ Director of Player Personnel, or Tom Telesco, the Indianapolis Colts’ Vice President of Football Operations, will likely be named as A.J. Smith’s successor in “a day or two,” according to a team source.

The Chargers brass – consisting of president Dean Spanos and his son, John, the team’s director of college scouting, vice president Ed McGuire and consultant Ron Wolf -- hit the road on Thursday and returned to San Diego on Sunday. On the trip, they interviewed Telesco and New York Giants Director of College Scouting Marc Ross.

They also flew to Phoenix on Saturday for what was presumed to be an interview with Steve Keim, the Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel. But the Chargers executives actually went to Arizona for a Saturday night dinner with Doug Marrone, who early Sunday morning agreed to become the Buffalo Bills’ head coach.

The Chargers were extremely impressed with Marrone, who had been head coach at Syracuse University, but he appeared to have already made up his mind by the time he met with the Chargers. A team source emphasized Saturday night’s meeting was not an interview but a chance to get to know Marrone and express interest in interviewing him next week.

The Chargers are just today preparing their letters to officially request permission to speak to potential head coaching candidates who are currently employed by other NFL teams.

At or near the top of that list, regardless of whether Telesco is the new GM, is Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. The Chargers had not previously inquired about Arians or other candidates because they wanted to get their GM in place first.

Discussions with the GM candidates revealed their list of possible head coaches largely overlapped and that whoever the GM is, the head coach candidates will be the “same guys.”

One person who was never on the Chargers’ radar was former Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid, who agreed last week to become the Kansas City Chiefs’ Head Coach.

One team source said yesterday that the Chargers are “ready for a change” with the new head coach they hire, further indicating that person will be a departure from both Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer in terms of hiring someone who has not already been a head coach multiple times.

The Chargers did receive permission to speak with three more candidates and have interviews still scheduled with two of them. But Raye has always been viewed as a frontrunner, and Telesco was termed by one source as “very impressive.”

Further, the remaining candidates are also in line for jobs elsewhere.

Tom Gamble, the San Francisco 49ers’ Director of Player Personnel, is believed headed to the New York Jets. Gamble declined a second interview with the Jacksonville Jaguars and “postponed” his interview with the Chargers.

Keim and Atlanta Falcons Director of Player Personnel Dave Caldwell are reportedly finalists for the GM job in Jacksonville.

“There are a lot of moving parts,” the source said.

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Well then, hope it's Jimmy Raye or Marc Ross.

I love that quote in that article.. We'll be moving away from coach who's been around a while.

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    It has always been Raye. :sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I'll say this, I prefer Raye to Telesco. At least Raye is on record as having disagreed with AJ on several picks. Telesco scares the pish out of me because looking at his resume he looks identical to a complete redux of AJ (cut his teeth as a scout for Bill Polian, when the Polian front office was run out of town he was allowed to stick around)... and quite frankly I've never been a fan of Polian's methodology for adding talent to rosters to begin with - far too much focus on investing premium picks in skill position or luxury players which is not what we need right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I too would like to see Raye get the GM job.

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Found an old picture of Raye and Spanos together.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    [​IMG]

I want Raye so we can watch you:

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ha, I have accepted that this will happen from the start. You know Dean can't get shat right, even with a "consultant".
    Raye = Mora
    Tolesco = Arians

22. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    Do u have any sources for that or is it just something you heard? I agree that Telesco scares me on many fronts, especially because he was a guy who already comes with a HC guaranteed almost. I'm really hoping that Ross makes a favorable impression, but i've always found it strange that he has interviewed for almost every one of the open GM positions in the last 2 years and has yet to be a candidate that gets serious consideration for any job. Theres gotta be a reason for that...

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    If thats the truth then it sounds like there will be no HC interviews, that this whole little show of hiring the GM before the coach was just that...a show.

You can't tell me Jimmy Raye is going to put his career on the line for a 2 time failure like Mora, the same way AJ did with Norv Turner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I am just speculating of course. I am on record saying that this is all a PR show. But it does make sense that Toleso would want Arians.

As for Raye, I am sure that the Spanos clan will tell him who he can hire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I agree that Telesco = Arians...almost for sure.

I don't believe Raye would want Mora.

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Hopefully Mora and Holmgren are just rumors

Reporter: "hey would you coach the Chargers?"
    Mora "uh yeah sure?!?!?!"
    Reporter "Chargers all in on Mora, Boom Baby! turning another article into gold"

27. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Who in the hell in their right mind would want Mora except maybe a Spanos. ;)

It sure makes Telesco = Arians look better. :confused:

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  29. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  30. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Stuff like this simply makes me laugh. Just cause Wolf is now a consultant, and worked with Holmgren in Green Bay doesn't mean were gonna hire the damn guy. If thats the case, then why isn't Mike Sherman in the mix? I hate articles like that..

And I'm pretty positive Holmgren is on record saying, if it isn't the Cowboys, he isn't interested.

• Agree Agree x 1