1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The General Manager search thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    This doesn't look so promising. :(

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Lube anyone?

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Bolt fans prepare to bend over and take one for the club, again.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This is perfect Blue! :roflmao::roflmao:

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Telesco certainly = Arians. Who again, I'm not sold on. The guy is a 60 year old OC, nothing more than that. Just cause he served as an interim HC on a team he did not build doesn't mean that he'd be a great HC.

Hoping its Raye, because we've got no shot with Gamble.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    That smarmy John Spanos pic has so many uses. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    That's my tale as well. Not sold on Arians at all.

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Send that one to Acee. ;)

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    That arsewipe is lucky I'm not on Twitter. ;)

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Which is about all anybody should expect at this juncture.

What's he supposed to do? Publicly express his love for one or two candidates, burning other bridges should those negotiations fall through?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Then why post anything at all? If they're going to make their decision in the next day or two, just announce something then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Reporters trying to earn their keep.

When there's nothing to report they always report fluff and/or try to make something out of nothing.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    That was from the Chargers website though...... it was unnecessary to post on a playoff weekend.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Yeah, I don't disagree, but that's on the website and the reporters. Dean can't help that. He was just responding to questions as far as I can tell.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    The reporters work for him, if he doesn't want anything out, then he can say so.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Yeah, he can do that, but why would he?

Is it better to just give them fluff and send them on their way or would it be better to give the perception that the Chargers' front office doesn't want to talk to their fans, wants to shut the media up, and won't talk to the media?

The bottom line here is that the media types need something to write on, there's currently nothing to write on, so they just got a quick Q and A with Dean. Nothing to see here, move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    It isn't the media, it is his own employees who work in the PR department. It isnt like these are questions from the UT, North County times, or someone else. It is PR bull **** that he wanted out or he would have told his employees no

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    What have I been insisting all along. The moron fans are the one Dean cares about the most because they're the ones most likely to go flighty and jump fanship to some sexier franchise like a surging Seahawks program in a small market. We may blow and bluster and make all manner of idle threats, but those of us fans that care enough to track the team closely and post to internet forums with regularity about the team aren't going anywhere - we stick with the team through thick and thin (have and will). He's got his hooks in us, no matter how much he twists them to remind us how incompetent he can be.

The sport is as much business as sport these days. Sometimes fluff pieces for the morons have to be put out to appease the morons who have no grasp of realistic logistics and expect that because Lamar Hunt was willing to sell the soul of his franchise to give Andy Reid carte blanche to pick whoever he wants as a GM (and Andy Reid being the media-touted "prime candidate" for here because Andy "owns a house here"), that all process should work like that. In short, you're right, the article wasn't for us... it was for them. So why are we getting so bent out of shape over it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I don;t deny any of that. My point was, this was not Dean "not shutting out the media", because his PR staff is NOT the media, they are his employees. They post on the website, what he says can be posted on the site. Whether there was a "fluff" reason for that or not, i was just point out that he did it for a reason, and not because he was just cooperating with the media

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Yeah, but that's really no different than what's going on in Jacksonville, Arizona, or Carolina right now. This is pretty much SOP for most organizations during these sort of processes. People are just looking for something to get worked up over because they haven't been given anything new to get worked up over yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +900
    Disagreeing with A.J. doesn't mean sh*t if we don't know which picks he disagreed with. What if he disagreed with picks that turned out right?

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    You'd have to ask Acee....... he pointed out the Butser Davis pick as an example where Raye was so pissed, he wouldn't speak to AJ afterward.

25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble is scheduled to interview for Chargers GM job Tuesday. Jets eyeing another GM candidate.

• Like Like x 2
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    We're splitting hairs.

Regardless of the intent for the piece being posted, the bottom line is (my very original point of contention) all we can and should expect right now is fluff.

And as LBC put in much better words than I have, if he did indeed intentionally push the fluff out there it's to appease the impatient folk who want to know he's doing something and nonsense like that might appease them to realize they're not just sitting in their office with cigars in their mouths bullshitting with each other forgetting that they actually have to hire someone before all the other teams take the best hires.

27. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Now this sucks and doesn't suck at the same time.

I was excited to hear about a new GM by tomorrow, but guess we'll have to wait til Wednesday/Thursday. Gamble and Raye are my top picks right now. Forget Telesco please, and Ross I wouldn't mind but I'm hearing it might be a year too early for him.

At least with Gamble, he brings another dimension in the HC search. But, I'm sensing Raye is the one and has been the one since last week because he has not interviewed elsewhere! Last year he was interviewed for the Bears GM job, and this year no other interest comes in? Come on, San Diego definitely told teams he's off the market or something.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Don't get wrong I like Jimmy Raye but there's something about doing this GM search/process and then going back and giving it to Jimmy I don't like. If that's what happens Jimmy shoulda been given the job and we'd probably be much closer to having a HC right now. We might even have some word on what is going to happen to the likes of Cason and Vasquez. The Gaither BS might be over.

Having said all that I'm heartened to hear about Gamble being interviewed. I was sure he was gone. Either of em will do for me. Won't Jimmy leave us however, if he is passed over for someone like Gamble?

29. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Easy to say, but how would they know Raye was their choice before they interviewed other candidates?

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Had they fired AJ in week 15 like they should have, they could have started interviews then and known their new GM before the season was over.