1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Good, Bad and Ugly!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    GOOD:

Our Defense
    Our Special Teams
    The Crowd Noise
    Chargers Fans (amazing how few Ponies fans were there)
    Tailgating
    Good Friends
    Bolt Talk Lager

BAD:

Our Offense
    Play Calling
    P88F run ins with Ant

UGLY:

The Win
    P88F run ins with Ant

THOUGH I'LL TAKE AN UGLY WIN OVER A GOOD LOOKING LOSS ANY DAY!!! :bolt::bolt:

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I had a great time at the tailgate! Thanks everyone. And B4L that lager was fantastic!

Take care everyone.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that lager was damn good stuff, I was drinking the leftovers at the end of the game
    you are the brewmaster for BT

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks for the gravy. :D

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This win really goes to the Special Teams. The defense looked improved this week, but I don't know that they look that good against a healthy Colt offense. The receiver corps and O Line were decimated. We'll see about the defense when come up against of decent teams that are healthier. Right now, we know about the offense.

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    We were missing our best all around DL and #1 corner, so the whole "they weren't full strength" argument doesn't fly with me.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    ^^^ Now that I can agree with.

8. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Play calling was bad in the sense that we gave it to Rivers too much. Also those two challenges were bad (The players were yelling him to challenge it he shouldn't have).

However this brings to light something that should be worrisome. Say Norv Turner isn't the cause of all our problems. Is Rivers really our franchise QB?

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Logic says give him more time to get it right, emotion says draft a qb.

10. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Norv is trying to give PR more time. He has played more in these past few games then really he played all of last season. I am hoping he gets out of it.

I want the Chargers to do well maybe having a threat of being replaced will put some fire under PR.

11. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    The running game will not improve without a passing offense. I can understand the argument that we are giving the ball too much to Rivers right now but LT and the OLine aren't establishing any sort of run .. We are in a situation now where Rivers needs to set up the run with the pass and the way he has been throwing the ball the last few weeks, that hasn't happened.

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Playing more? Rivers had games last year where he threw it 30-40 times.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I would like to see more short passes, and less runs right into the line on first down. We have Gates, we have Chambers, we don't have to run on first down every time. Short passes take some pressure of our line, and make the defense guess a bit more. Peyton manning was hitting short crossing routes all night.

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That's because he is almost always throwing on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Is it just me or has Rivers been checking down to LT just as much (if not more) as our former QB? So what's the problem, not enough time? WRs not good enough to get open? :icon_shrug:

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The problem right now is that there is no gameplan to get Rivers into a rhythm. Norv mentioned "rhythm" in his postgame presser... but this shouldn't be an issue right now. As Savage mentioned in his previous post, there needs to be more short route stuff in the plan. The receivers can get open underneath, but it looks like everything right now is either deep middle, deep out, or swing pass stuff.

And this needs to be done early in the game. Not at the end when Rivers is already struggling big time. Shotgun can help a lot. No huddle can help a lot. "bunch" formations with pick plays... crossing routes etc.

But instead the playcalling initially looks to be creative and then just goes blahhhhhh. It's just weird to watch it go that way. the receivers can get it done. Rivers can get it done. It's up to Norv & Shelmon to put them in position to get it done.