1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Greatest Chargers Team of all-time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 24, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I've noticed NFL.COM running through certain teams, giving their beliefs on the greatest combined group in that team's history. And since it's a fairly quiet off-season to boot, why not do that for the Chargers. Let's see if you guys have a different selection.

Offense

QB: Stan Humphries – You can say Fouts but only one QB has ever led the Bolts to the Super Bowl and no one threw the deep ball as pretty as him.

RB: Ladanian Tomlinson – The back that could literally do it all

FB: Lorenzo Neal – Only for a short time but the GOAT in a dying position

WR: Lance Alworth – Can you imagine what he could do with the rules of today?

WR: Charlie Joiner – The man that wrote the book on route running and what Air Coryell could do for a receiver

TE: Kellen Winslow – tough with Gates but few better at his position or helped define Air Coryell than him

OT: Ron Mix – one of the finest at his position, even if he ended the career as a Raider

OG: Walt Sweeney – As good a guard as the Chargers have ever been blessed with

C: Nick Hardwick – Few are as steady, come from as humble and fight as hard. Or have as many Tattoos

OG: Kris Dielman – Much like Hardwick, earned it every step of the way.

OT: Russ Washington – stoud, steady and powerful. What could’ve been if he’d been a pure tackle

Defense

DE: Leslie O’Neal – one of the most underrated of Charger HOFs, and a sack master

DT: Louie Kelcher – A great all around DT and one of the best at his position

DT: Jamal Williams – Once he played he was unblockable for about 7 years

DE: Fred Dean – A deadly all around DE. Might’ve been a world Champion with Chargers had he stayed

LB: Woodrow Lowe – A fantastic all around leader and steady effective linebacker

LB: Junior Seau – Does any more really need to be said?

LB: Chuck Allen – Talented in every area of the game, not just a member of a great defense

CB: Gill Byrd – The one ‘hit’ from the 1983 Draft class was a ball hawking stud

CB: Charlie McNeil – A great ball hawk and cover corner

FS: Eric Weddle – Doesn’t speak highly about this group of players does it? Weddle is a very talented FS and general

SS: Rodney Harrison – yes he ended as a Patriot, but he was one of the few late 90s players that made you proud to be a Chargers fan

Special Teams

K: Rolf Bernerschka – Few were as clutch or came back from such long odds

P: Darren Bennett – the Aussie that redefined punting came from nowhere to become one of the best at his position.

KR: Paul Lowe – the man that took back the first Kickoff for a TD is on this list

PR: Tim Dwight – the only really exciting PR I’ve had the privilege of watching

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    And should.

Fouts over Humphries by a country mile.

p.s. I just noticed your note about Dwight. Ask the old-timers about how exciting Speedy Duncan was... :tup: young'un. :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    These things never work out, just leave it alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +209
    Head Coach: Norv Turner

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I agree with the entire list, but would also list Fouts over Humphries.

As a side note, I got the chance to meet Russ Washington at his car wash in National City. Really nice guy!

6. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +491
    Craig Whelihan or maybe Dan Fouts. Tough call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    I can't say I know a whole lot about the Tackles you've picked but Jim Lachey was a great left tackle that our esteemed front office let go early and very cheaply. I 100% concur on Leslie O'Neal my first favorite Charger and still right up there for me in my Bolts heroes. Would Merriman not make it over Lowe say?, even if we only say him dominate for 2 yrs say. Aussie Darren was good but Scifres is the bomb (no pun intended). I loved Courtney Hall as a center he versus Nick is a tough one to call. John Carney I feel was a better kicker than Rolf. PR wow we must not have a great history there if Tim Dwight is tops, what about Metcalf how was he as a punt returner.

Nice debate.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    Foust, Rivers then Humphries

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I gotta put Hadl before Humphries...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +469
    Sorry, never saw Hadl play, forgot about him

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    No problemo. By current QB ratings, Hadl doesn't fare well...but, of course, he played in a much less
    QB-friendly era, and Hadl's the guy that launched those gorgeous bombs that Bambi spectacularly hauled in.

Hadl was one of the AFL QBs Namath was saying was better than Earl Morrall in the famous Super Bowl III guarantee.

As you can see from this pic, Stan still gets mad at me every time I remind him of Hadl's superiority Fouts, Hadl & Angry Stan.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    This place is smoking hot!!!!!

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Nice to know I got everything else right :-p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +26
    Speedy was really something. I think he opened up a barbecue in Logan Heights after he retired. Does anyone remember that?

15. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +26
    I'd take Fouts, Hadl or Rivers over Humphries. Johnny U. was no slouch either. ;-)

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,861
    I can and will say Fouts.

Super Bowl appearances alone don't make someone a better QB than another person. As much as I liked him I'd rank Humphries #4 if I were ranking all time Chargers QBs.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,861
    If you're just looking at QBs for who they are and not just what they did for the Chargers then I can think of 5 Chargers QBs I'd take over Humphries.

Unitas may be really pushing it in that bunch, though, in terms of riding the technicality.

18. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +26
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Speedy Duncan visited the elementary school I attended along with a coach and couple other players and showed a Chargers highlight film. I was hooked from that point on as a Bolt fan, and to this day, I can't remember who the others were.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I dont care if he made it to a super bowl. He doesnt compare to Fouts or Rivers. I'd give the edge to Rivers over Fouts, but it's a really close call. Fouts threw more INT. And Rivers has better accuracy and ball placement. Stats show this clearly. Fours has the better deep ball. You could technically put Brees in there. But Stan Humpf is a horrible pick IMO.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,861
    If you only account for what they did for the Chargers then it's

1 - Fouts
    2 - Rivers
    3 - Hadl
    4 - Humphries

(I'm sure I'll get many arguments for my 1-2-3 placements, but either way all 3 go before Stan the Man)

If you just look at any QB who has dawned a Chargers uniform regardless of where their success mainly was then it's probably something like this

1 - Johnny Unitas
    2 - Drew Brees
    3 - Dan Fouts
    4 - Philip Rivers
    5 - John Hadl
    6 - Stan Humphries

I liked Stan a lot, but being the only Chargers QB to play in the Super Bowl (as a Charger) doesn't make him the de facto best Chargers QB of all time.

And even if that was the only criteria that matters for individual worth how is it fair to hold that against John Hadl? He's the only Chargers QB who actually owns a "CHAMPIONSHIP" ring with a Chargers logo on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Why does everyone seem so clear on that Fouts is better than Rivers? Rivers has one of the highest QB ratings of all time and clearly has better accuracy and ball placement than Fouts. He has a good chance to eclipse Fouts in yards by the end of his career too. How does there playoff record compare? Pretty sure its similar.

This topic probably deserves its own thread.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,861
    I almost put 1A and 1B for them two but I didn't want to distract from my main point, which was where Humphries lands.

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Because Fouts was almost unstoppable, in an era that was much harder both on QBs and his receivers.

Dan Fouts beat the all-time record for season passing yards mark with 4,082 in 1979.
    Then he destroyed that record in 1980 with 4,715 yards...
    then somehow still managed to top that record again in '81.

I like Rivers a lot, and at this point, don't put him far behind Fouts...But I still have it Fouts, Rivers, Hadl, then Stan.

26. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +469
    I think Rivers will end up being the best QB in Chargers history, but not yet

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    There will be rumor's of war....

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'd love for that to turn out to be true...as we celebrate our 3 Lombardi trophies...

I do think Philip will need to step up more in clutch situations...

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Yeah, just like Dan did, Philip needs to get it together when it count's most.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  30. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +469
    Fouts didn't play that well in the playoffs either.

I think if Rivers plays another 6 years (assuming he retires with the Chargers), and he throws for an average of 4000 yds, 25tds and 12ints, he'll have:

56000+ yards (13000 more then Fouts)
    370+ tds (120 more)
    175+ ints (70 less)

Add a couple of good runs in the playoffs and he'll be the best i franchise history