1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Gregory / Cason switch doesn't get enough credit...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Is it just me or is Stephen Gregory all over the field the last few games. They found a perfect role for this guy on the team as a nickel corner. He supports the run really well and has a great nose for the ball. I think this single adjustment has really helped the defense more than anything else.

Also, I think Cason is better as a true CB who can be brought in to spell our other starters.....and will probably end up replacing Cro anyway in the coming year or two.

I was a serious skeptic of this move, but it really turned out well.

2. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Can't say I wasn't disappointed when Cason got pulled. I was always under the impression that you always put your best players on the field. Play makers, ball-hawkers, nasty, and hard-hitting defenders for my defense please. But in this case, Gregory has more than earned the right to keep the nickel corner position. He always seems to find a way to be around game-changing plays.

As much as I'm a fan of Cason, the team will always come first and foremost. Cason's still in his 2nd year, and like you said, he can always spell Jammer/Cro if anything happens and the productivity of our CBs will not lose a step.

Take this as a challenge Antoine. Improve the areas you need to improve on, and take this as an opportunity to absorb as much information as you can. You've got the physical skills, now just bring the mental game up to par and you'll do fine.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I agree BG, but...

The getting rid of Hart move helped too. Also the figuring out we need to rotate the DL and blitz more has helped big time. Merriman getting healthier every week has helped, ect.

Just took RR a while to figure out WTF to do after Jamal went down and we struggled out of the gate.

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

True...I agree with all you've said....Right along with the Gregory move...filling out how to plug the leaks on our D-Line and getting a good rotation has really helped.....Dumping Hart also helped in not just getting better play at Safety, but putting the rest of the team on notice that we will cut you if you keep blowing it. The tandem of Oliver and Ellison has also been an upgrade.

I keep hearing a lot on telecasts...particularly nationwide...about how our D-Line rotation has helped...not much about Gregory's superior play that has helped to jump start the overall D.