1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The HH86 respect thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The kid is quickly becoming a weapon of the O.

Who doestnt love the kid? They are wrong.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Henry is now on track for 827 and 8. These are pretty huge numbers for a rookie TE. The sad side of it is that Gates looks done.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    I assume chaincrusher will avoid this thread completely

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The upper rounds of this draft is looking really good on the field so far.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    But oddly, Gates didn't look physically done, tonight...
    but inexplicably out of sync with Rivers...
    how the hell does Henry have the better chemistry w/ PR?

HH still has big eyes, out there, but he's growing into a big NFL role game by game.
    And I, for one, do not fear ('cause I won't be) reading any long-winded desperate explanation
    of how Marbury v. Madison in 1803 proves that Bosa will never be anything but "just a guy."

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Where is ChainCrusher, I would enjoy an essay from him why Henry's success is a fluke, and Bosa is ineffective

7. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    I think it isn't too early for this...

Jose called it first.

8. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    I think you'll find he's typing up his reply, resplendent with annotations and appendices as we speak. He's just busy searching for some obscure combine data to flesh out his argument. Just you wait and see.

9. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    So are we in agreement? Tt is a good gm?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    The last few months would lead me to grade TT higher...
    up from C+/B- to maybe a low-ish B. But too many moving parts to fully explain at 01:00... :p

11. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    As far as TT goes, I will always find it hard to assess him, because we just don't know how much the Spani meddle and tie his hands, given that lil Johnny and Michael 2 are directly involved in his affairs.

12. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    Looking at moves like king dunlap, slauson, Franklin, Mebane, flowers, Donald brown, you've gotta be thinking that he gets decent traction and starters out of free agency as well (I've added Donald brown because while Im the anti chain crusher in my love for Tt, I'm more reasonable than him and can admit it when he gets it wrong)

13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    No, I have been really busy of late, but Henry looked good against DEN. He still makes significant mistakes (boneheaded and totally unnecessary offensive PI versus DEN) and still has trouble at times getting open depending upon who is defending him, but he is catching the ball well, plus Whiz is doing a great job with his play calling to help him get open (sometimes he is not even covered at all) and, of course, it doesn't hurt to have Rivers throwing to him.

The main difference that I still see between Gates in his prime and Henry is that Gates could almost always get open, which made him more of a reliable threat than Henry is at this point. Of course, Henry is still a rookie, so we will see how he develops.

To me, Tyrell Williams is actually the more exciting young offensive player because he has the raw ability to be a dominant WR, but Henry is definitely more polished as a player even though he has less NFL experience, though I think he does not have the top end potential that T. Williams has.

But the best rookie of this year's class pretty easily so far is Jatavis Brown, who is already better than Te'o and, frankly, has been the best defensive player on the team this season. He leads the team in sacks (with Ingram), has forced two fumbles (one returned for a TD and one that helped seal last night's win), and is very good as an ILB in pass coverage.

He has been everywhere for the team. He is 14th in tackles and did not get starter quantity snaps until after Te'o got injured in week 3. If he had played since week 1 at his current rate of tackles, he would be right at the top of the league in that category (along with the sacks and forced fumbles).

I liked the Brown pick from the beginning, but I had no idea he was going to be as good as he has been.

14. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    He did not drop a single pass or fumble the ball in college. He is and will continue to be a stud.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    The scary thing is that we haven't seen the work of Max Tuerk (basically put on inactive because of Slausson's success) or Donovan Clark (who looked really good prior to injury). That could make this class even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I was pleased when we drafted Hunter Henry, and he has proven that optimism to be justified.

As for Antonio Gates, he knows that the sun is setting on his career and I love how he unselfishly took the rookie under his wing, speeding up his adaptation to the NFL. I also think that opposing teams concentrate on not letting Gates beat them, "especially with Allen & Woodhead both out" creating opportunities for his young protege. As defenses shift to focus on Henry, I think you'll see Antonio getting ignored and then he'll still get his, he's not completely done yet.

I'm confident that Philip will get Gates the TE touchdown record this season, and then Antonio will ride off into the sunset and await the inevitable call from Canton.

17. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +108
    That offensive PI call against Henry was horrible. If there's anything to criticize him for last night it's his blocking but that was Von Miller

18. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Biggest criticism against Henry is that he isn't as good of a receiver in his rookie season as a HOF'er in his prime.

We're really reeeeeaaaaaching at this point fellas.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    How magnanimous of you to take time from your "busy" schedule to pay some respect to a rookie TE who you bashed incessantly ever since he was drafted at # 35, Yer lil pr*ck!

Then you followed up your pretzeled up acknowledgement of HH by crediting everyone else under the Sun and yourself in particular for being such an astute observer of the Game and evaluator of players. Yeah, a lil pr*ck is what Yer definitely are son!

20. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I did think at the point that we drafted him that he wasn't best player available, but in retrospect he's been great for us so far. It's nice to see our rookies performing well, I know our record isn't great, but at least their play has been a huge sign for encouragement.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure if it is inexplicable or not.
    Gates has been injured and not playing or practicing.
    Injuries to Allen and Woodhead has forced new people in that require more attention than Gates.
    It is early in the season, they will get in the groove and get Gates his 5 TDs... I am sure of it.

22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I can't really say that's a given at this point. He's made some good picks and signings, but also quite a few bad ones. Reached for players he shouldn't have, and lucked into some major contributors.

Frankly, two of his best signings, Barksdale and Slauson fell into his lap. They weren't guys he knew would be available when the seasons started, they just became available by circumstance. Barskdale was the only lineman that played all of last year. Slauson has been the glue that pulled together the O-line this year. But, if he didn't get released suddenly, we'd have started off with Watt and Tuerk as our center options. That would've been a disaster. So, I'd say Telesco planned poorly, but lucked into a good player. I don't award a high rating for getting lucky.

23. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    You must be new to this conversation. Him not dropping a single pass in his senior year means nothing to CC.

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    That play on the opening drive where Henry ran a drag route and took it some 20 yards after the catch, that's what Gates used to do and can't anymore. Every time I see Gates with the ball it's almost painful to watch, he looks as plodding and slow as Alge Crumpler did at the end of his career when he was like 300 pounds.

So glade we landed Hunter Henry, looks like a top 10 (possibly top 5) TE for the future.

25. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I saw HH86 as comparable to Heath Miller, not the top-flight offensive threat, but a solid, reliable weapon who can contribute in the blocking game. So far, he looks as advertised.

That Jatavis Brown looks like the real deal. He and Perryman seem like a solid 1-2 punch at MLB for years to come, and I credit the additons of Bosa and Brown with the win last night in the face of so many poor mental errors by the special teams.

26. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    Yeah those two did fall in his lap, but there's 31 other teams that could've picked them up. Those sort of gimmie players just never panned out for us under a.j. (if we ever got any free agents). Bob sanders, Robert Meacheam, nathan Vasher, takeo spikes. All were difference makers on their former teams with Meacheam being the only one not making the pro bowl.

It's good to see new players come in and make plays. That might be on norv vs McCoy though rather than smith v Telesco

27. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Jatavis Brown is a monster. Enough said.

I was a bit critical of Joey Bosa when we took him, but was not totally against it either. In his first 2 games the dude on a majority of plays looks unblockable. Quite a few of this holding calls last night we're on Denver's Oline going against Bosa.

Henry had a great night, and looks as if he will be a solid top 10 TE in this league.

Believe it or not Craig Mager looked rather well last night as well.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The 2pt safety was due to the Broncos holding Bosa. That at least gave the illusion that the team was scoring TDs, since it pushed the score to 21. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    I don't think Spikes belongs on the list: The guy was going into his 14th season
    when Chargers picked him up. Expectations were realistic.
    He put in 2 solid, if unspectacular seasons here and provided some needed attitude.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Especially in his final game, where he was sent to the showers early. ;)