1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The inside story is two new linebackers; Bolts breaking in pair of first-time starte

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsFanUK, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    The inside story is two new linebackers; Bolts breaking in pair of first-time starters

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Matt Wilhelm regularly played home college football games before 105,000 fans at national power Ohio State. Stephen Cooper played his in front of 100,000 fewer patrons at Maine, a Division I-AA program.

Consequently, Wilhelm was drafted by the Chargers in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL draft. Cooper went undrafted and was signed by the team after the draft.

Their paths now converge in the center of the Chargers' defense as the 2007 season approaches. The two inside linebackers are now first-year starting players on a team projected to be among the best in the NFL.

The duo is being counted on to replace two veterans -- Donnie Edwards and Randall Godfrey -- who have started a combined 305 regular-season games. Wilhelm and Cooper have combined for eight NFL starts, all by Cooper.

"I think they both understand that their time is now," linebackers coach Ron Rivera said. "That's what I think is exciting about it.

"Both Matt and Coop have really tried to take advantage of this opportunity. From the way they study in the meetings, the notes they take, the questions they ask, how they pay attention to film, they are very conscientious."

The Chargers express no concerns about either player.

In fact, the organization showed incredible faith in both players by locking them up with five-year contract extensions last year -- Cooper's deal runs through 2010 and Wilhelm's contract ends the after 2011 campaign.

Cooper has received more playing time than Wilhelm over the past four seasons. Cooper started four games last season and accumulated 82 tackles. Wilhelm recorded 14 stops.

Wilhelm was a first-team All-American at Ohio State and a member of the Buckeyes' 2002 national championship team. Cooper was a two-time finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award, which is annually given to the top defensive player in I-AA.

While Wilhelm was a nationally recognized college football player, few people outside of Maine had heard of Cooper.

"Coming from a small school, a lot of people don't give you a chance," Cooper said. "The competition you play against isn't like the big schools like USC or Notre Dame.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/08/07/sports/professional/chargers/21_58_088_6_07.txt

• Like Like x 1
  2. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The inside story is two new linebackers; Bolts breaking in pair of first-time sta

Dobbins will be starting by season's end.

3. asela

asela BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    The inside story is two new linebackers; Bolts breaking in pair of first-time sta

Dobbins is good, but I'm eagerly waiting to see what Anthony Waters does this preseason. I expect our depth to outclass other teams in the preseason, which will be a good sign for the regular season. Ok, well most everyone except Volek, he's been a bit disappointing so far.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

I love the comments from people talking out their sphincters in the feedback below the article. Like the guy who says our run defense will suffer but our pass defense should be solid with pass pressure from Cooper... :lol:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

the thing about bringing in guys you've been grooming is that the coaches have an intimate understanding of the players and their strengths. Also those of us who have watched the team for a bit can remember when these guys grew from marginal performers to great players (Eric Parker, Stephen Cooper, Kassim Osgood, Antonio Gates).

The problem is most media people who only cover the chargers when they're kicking and screaming don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

Why is Volek disappointing so far ? :icon_huh:

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Kind of hard to dissapoint from the bench :lol:

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Yeah no kidding unless they saw something at camp ?

Volek is the ****.

I have not been this happy since we had .... Brees :lol:

Brees, Rivers, Flutie, Lemon. I think that was probably the most talented QB roster we have ever had. And Brees still sucks whang for being a LIAR.

9. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36

Our new backers will be good to go, I have a feeling what we may loose in coverage while they adjust we will gain in speed and big hits

I hope Rivera can get them up to speed with the take the ball from the offense game. We have plenty of speed on defense and if they can put up some points for us, its a wrap, bolts win.

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    FWIW, Volek had two very poor plays at practice tonight.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

Whitehurst is really coming on strong - another few poor practices and the Chargers might want to consider trading Volek somewhere

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

If anyone is considering trading Volek when we hold an option for the year after this one is out of the goardes.

When Volek eats **** in a game and not a couple of practices, then and only then, do we consider a trade but to suggest a few bad practices could lead to a trade, please. :no:

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  14. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    If Whitehurst is better than him, there is no reason to keep Volek.

Of course I don't understand the love Volek gets around Charger fans, but that's a different story. I guess Fisher and Chow just don't know QBs.

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    To me Volek is a capable back up. Nothing more. I think this Whitehurst kid has potential, but as long as we have Rivers, he'll only be a backup here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yes there is.

If Rivers goes down, we need a vet QB in the lineup and Whitehurst is NOT that man. We need 3 QB's going into the season otherwise, you are risking team suicide.

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139

We are fine at linebacker. That position does not worry me at all. Only our secondary continues to concern me, but even that is merely a distant uncomfortable tweak somewhere in the deep recesses of my subconscious.

18. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    So you aren't going to let the BEST QB play if Rivers goes down? This is Whitehurst's second year in the league. How many years does he have to sit and learn before he's even trusted to be a backup?? Rivers didn't exactly kill the team his first year starting after sitting one year.

So would you start Jeff George over Whitehurst too? Just because he's a veteran?? The BEST guy is who we need in there. Talent is a factor. He's a veteran that hasn't done squat in his last handful of starts and that stretches over a couple of years now. He's over two years out of his last quality play in this league. Yet he's a veteran. Fisher and Chow, two guys I respect as coaches and QB evaluators, didn't want Volek starting for them, why should we?

IF Whitehurst is playing better and Volek has some trade value, you should get the trade value from some desperate team because the odds are very high your 3rd string QB isn't going to see the field. You can have the better QB at backup and get a developmental guy at #3.

"risking team suicide" how dramatic!:icon_rofl:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This just shows how little you understand the game to have a comfort zone with Whitehurst as a second year player as a starter.

You need a VET in the lineup if Rivers goes down. Whitehurst is not a VET to drive the Ferrari. There is NO substitute for experience in the NFL. Talent gets you so far and then you need a VET. Period.

Volek can start with many teams in the NFL and would be highly coveted.

Bad outings ? :icon_rofl: You kill me.

The number 3 hole is to develop your QB and that is what Whitehurst is right now.

If Rivers went down and Volek was traded and we were down to Whitehurst, you would be the laughing stock of the NFL for letting Volek go. That is why fans do not run NFL teams.

20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    isn't this Volek's last year on his contract - he won't be resigned...

I agree Ant, Whitehearst is moving up....

ps: Conc, what happened to my post count...

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Maybe this is why fans want something now? Volek has an option in his contract we can pick up for the following year. The cap hit is around 2 Million IIRC....lemme check

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Billy Volek: signed 4-year deal thru 2007-2008 season on 3//25/04- + the deal includes an option for the 2008-2009 season worth $2.2M- + he receives base salaries of $1M in 2006, $1.25M in 2007- + he receives a $500,000 roster bonus in March of 2006 and 2007 Agent: Drew Rosenhaus

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Volek will cost us $2.2 million for the season after this one. That is cheap for a low mileage vet.

Even if we traded Volek this year, we need to replace him with whom? It would have to be a VET and not another rookie for sure so it leaves you looking like a dork scrambling for a vet QB when you have one for this year and next year.

24. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I guess you expected Rivers to bomb last year since only vets can play well at QB in this league? If Whitehurst is playing better, he better be the backup.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Your logic makes no sense. I did not expect Rivers to bomb and was comfortable knowing we had a VET backing him up and a promising rookie in the 3 hole who is being groomed.

Again, if you trade Volek now and go into the season with 2 QB's and your second QB does not even have a start under his belt, good luck. Your days as an armchair GM just got flushed.

26. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    By having a vet on the bench, if anything, it gives the staff a little less to worry about.

Both bench QB's should know the system. Both bench QB's should know his capabilites. The Vet of the group has played in big NFL games thus taking away the damn "SHOCK" (or some of it) that comes with being an NFL QB.

I beleive the vet is #2 mainly for the expierence then any thing else. Whitehurst may be a better long term QB, but his NFL expierence is "NOTHING"... That is tough to get over regardless how good you are.

IMO, some time under center on Sundays helps. Volek has that right now and can deal with all the "****" that comes with that.

A #2 is in that position for game changes...If QB1 gets hurt during a game, #2 goes in. #2 in our situation has played on Sundays...If QB1 gets hurt during the week, the staff then may have time to prepare the better physically talented QB3... Thus giving him a shot.

TBF

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

I absolutely dig Whitehurst and have no doubts he will be as good if not better than Volek but he needs the reps under center and if we are in the hunt for a Lombardi, uhhhh we need to be loaded for bear.

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i agree with you on that and Volek does provide a better backup then Whitehurst right now, especially as a veteran BUT Volek might be passed up in skills by Whitehurst in the very near future. It never hurts to consider trading Volek as an option if the deal's right AND you think Whitehurst can take over without a hitch.

There's two things that must happen first prior to even thinking bout trading Volek.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If the deal is right (trade), I assume you mean a QB is in the mix that we get out of the deal. That is the ONLY way it happens.

Trading Volek is NOT an option this year. There are no realistic scenarios I can see where AJ pulls the trigger. None. There is no QB which we can pilfer who would be head and heels above Volek right now or none that I can think of which makes any sense.

Next year, we hold a $2.2 Million option to pick up to keep Volek for 2008-2009. That is cheap insurance for the next season after this one. Trading Volek after this year could happen but AJ would have to target another QB to groom behind Whitey. That is a must.

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

There doesn't seem to be an accurate and consistent take on Volek. I guess we'll find out on Sunday.