1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Long Awaited Return OF.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Duffman57, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    The Bend but dont break D.

I put a little section on this, but for the first time since the 06' Wade D, we've stopped guys at the goal line. This comes with the emergence of FINALLY some PHYISCAL play out of our D. We finally got some run stuffers on the DL, and some downhill thumpers on the ILB core, and some guys who can hold the edge at OLB.

Aubrayo Franklin was a huge addition, if you watched him last night you can just see how big of a difference he made, was just a strait fire hydrant vs. the run, he wasn't goin anywhere. Even though thats all he's good for as a 1/2 down player, he's very good at that, and we have guys who we can mix it up with in Garay and Thomas who are really solid pass rushers from the NT spot.

Kendall Reyes made a HUGE impact last night, as did Corey Liuget, penetrating and disrupting the run game.

Donald Butler is just a monster, and REAL soon, he's gonna prove that he's a top 5 ILB in this league. Spikes is just a great leader and one of those guys you just have to respect for his passion and intensity, in the mold of Ray Lewis (though to a slightly lesser degree). He just goes out there and is just a physical beast in the run game.

OLB's played awesome last Night. We rotated our pass rushers in and out more than any team that i've ever seen, and thats really a statement about our depth. We have 5 guys who should all play significant snaps, and thats gonna keep guys like Phillips healthy and rested so he can do stuff like he did last night late in games. Melvin Ingram should get more snaps as the year goes on, in place of JJ who he's a better pass rusher than, but JJ is better off the edge in run support. Letting Ingram roam around and make plays is gonna be key for this team.

The CB's dont get the credit they deserve. The whole scheme vs. these fast Raiders WR's was to not allow any big plays and keep everything in front of them. Cason and Jammer did that to perfection, with the longest pass they allowed being 21 yards, on that incredible catch by DHB. We didn't let them get behind us for any big plays, and even though we let up some first downs doing that, it payed off in the end.

The S's were beastly. Rarely do you see S's coming up and making big plays in the run game or vs. Short passes, and they did that consistently. Bigby especially played awesome, he came hard and filled the run as well as you can ask a S to, and he was matched up on Darren McFadden every time he went out for a pass, and thats a really tough task getting targeted nearly 20 times, vs one of the most explosive players in the league, to keep him to under 100 yards.

Overall, GREAT performance from our D, and you can tell this is a COMPLETELY different D than what we saw last year. I'm pumped about this group. All those picks we used on D are finally coming out and playing like they were drafted to. I think this D is capable of Carrying this team as long as we can avoid turnovers, as this group can make those big plays and forcing turnovers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    You make some very good points man.

I'd add to the CBs and OLBs both playing well to say that those 2 are heavily linked. Last year when the pass rush was weaker, the opposing QBs just generally had more time to pick out passes, and this obviously had a huge impact on the secondary. Now we have a more potent and varied pass attack, this should rattle QBs more and make them rush their decisions sometimes, which should then hopefully lead to opportunities for the secondary to capitalise. Shaun Phillips in particular looked healthy and pretty quick actually too, and Jammer showed that he can still hit anything that comes near him.

On the whole, definitely pleased with the rookies Ingram and Reyes, and Franklin looks a great value pickup.

Also agree that Donald Butler looks to have elite ILB potential in the near future.

I think our whole D looks revitalised, varied, and motivated to do well.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I think that Franklin is making a statement and has that proverbial chip on his shoulder to prove his worth to others.

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    And he says he won't play for peanuts...

FranklinOnChargers.gif

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think the "statement" Franklin made is that he's not as good as either Thomas or Garay. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,727
    ^^^ That may be true, but he belongs to the Bolts now...

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    True, but I'd rather not have him starting...... hopefully Thomas will get more playing time next game.

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Franklin was every bit as 'not bad' as Thomas ;)

9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Maybe taking a look at a bigger picture here... What it really looks like is that AJ is bringing in depth where it's needed... ( My spidey senses tingling, telling me that someone we know will turn this into a Fire AJ/Fire Norv thread)

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    According to your "unbiased" assessment. ;)

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Hey I want a good NT be it bz or someone else. You on the other hand have created graphics for the man ;)

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Which was originally done in response to your prediction that Thomas wasn't a lock to make the roster.

Or, had you forgotten already? :D

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    So you're admitting that you became unbiased in response to my perceived prejudice?
    Damn, I should work for the Republicans. :D

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Now, you see the light? ;)

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Does saying that someone isn't certain to do something constitute a prediction? Let it hereby be known that the Earth might be hit by a large meteor... eventually...

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Just surprised that you admitted it :)

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You weren't there, so I don't see how your take has any value..... no offense.

Lets just say that Ringo had a negative assessment of Thomas at the beginning, before he ever had a chance to show anything on the field as a Charger. I took exception to his view.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I meant you working for the Republicans. :D

19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Ikeman was over at .com back then, and I believe his memory is a tad more accurate than yours on this subject ;)

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not sure you're getting the ironic twist there about bias ;)

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Very nice assessment, Duff. Not being able to watch the game (because of insanely slow internet), I read the gameday thread alot and was shocked at the level of complaining about the defense. This group has a lot of new pieces, and, for their first game together, they did exceptionally well. I think people still view the Raiders offense in the same way they did a few years ago when it was one of the worst in NFL history. It's not that bad anymore. They have some real playmakers and the D held them in check. Whoever was at NT must have been holding his own, because the Raiders rushing attack was completely shut down. The secondary prevented any big plays. One stat I read was that on passes that traveled more than 15 yards, Palmer was 3 for 8 for like 50 yards.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Even if he was, I seriously doubt he remembers that exchange like I do....... or even you, it would seem. :D

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Oh, I got it...... I appreciate irony better than many around here. ;)

24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Post it if you got it. I have one saying that his future was uncertain: he was no lock for anything, but he had potential. The homers howled. Of course, this will necessitate a visit by you to .com :D

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's a safe defense, because you know damn well that's never going to happen. :laugh:

26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Another way to look at it: you really think the guy is a kick *** NT and won't fail. I hope that's true, but his past & present play & coaches beg to differ. Hopefully he develops and earns that starting spot, but he may not.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Look at it this way...... he's the only true NT prospect we have. Garay is long in the tooth and so is Franklin. Like it or not, Thomas is the future.

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    If he improves, sure. Otherwise, draft or FA.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You won't get a better NT through free agency..... the good ones don't get on the market. A rookie would be another project. BZ is here to stay..... you'll get used to it. ;)

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    If he doesn't get better, DT is going to be right up there with OT for draft needs. Also, Garay was a decent FA pick-up, possible to get another one of those while NT draft pick develops. Sure, all this is negated if Cam becomes a force. But that's no certainty.