1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The matchup we HAVE to exploit Saturday...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    We have had trouble all year long getting our running game in gear...whether it has been LT's injuries or whatever...I think we can all agree that the biggest issue has been our offensive front being dominated by D-Lines. Our OLine has produced it's best run blocking effort of the year on Sunday by a wide stretch.....it's also no coincidence that Denver is ranked near the bottom (27th) in run D....and they have a smaller defensive front.

Enter the Colts....Similar explosive makeup offensively...but with a smarter QB who makes less mistakes...and a defense that is less of a sieve against the pass.......BUT.....they have a tiny (by today's standards) defensive front...and have struggled against the run with this year being no exception (24th).

Colts D Line

Eric Foster 6'2 265
    Raheem Brock 6'4 274
    Keyunta Dawson 6'3 254
    Dwight Freeney 6'1 268

We HAVE to get physical and establish the run like we did in Denver.....there is no way we are going to gash them the same way in a playoff game.....but we should be able to be effective.....even if LT is banged up. Throw all 3 backs in there and get creative with the running plays.

Plus....I have a feeling we're being a little coy with LT's injury this time...I have a feeling he will be moving pretty well.

Keep Peyton off the field...control TOP....open up play action.....That's a winning formula for this game.

If we start running downhill on them....look out for the Chargers.

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I expect them to put Bob Sanders in the box. So while their dline is small Sanders is someone to watch for and is like a heat seeking missile when he's on.

I think we need to use our size to our advantage especially at WR. Hopefully Floyd will be ready to go, that would be a nice boost.

3. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Bob didn't have much of an impact in the playoff game.

Rivers is smart enough to not let him get picks. Our offensive line seems to be playing well, so they may have him cheat up to help against the run. If that happens, Philip and our receivers should have a field day against that midget secondary of theirs.

I'm mostly worried about our defense. If they can slow down the Colts offense enough to give us a few extra possessions, we can pull away.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Punch them in the face.

D still has me worried. Still can't cover anyone, on OMFG they looked TERRIBLE won those 2 td runs.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree, we have to manhandle the Colts' defense and open up lanes to establish a good running game. Once we have that we can be incredibly effective with the passing attack and control time of possession which, in a game we all know is going to be very close, will give us the win in the end. Philip Rivers can score the points to beat the Colts so it really relies on the defense. If the defense steps up and makes the tackles, gets in Manning's face, and the secondary disrupts the passing game we win. I think the real San Diego defense is the one we saw early last night - with the only major problem being the failure to tackle - and if these players start making tackles it will be stout enough to keep Manning from controlling this game and putting up points. Key - be physical, very physical. We can score the points we just need the defense to limit the Colts' opportunity to do just that.

6. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Reading the Indy Star today it appears that another ***** in their armour is their kick coverage. We may get a few short field opportunities if Sproles can bust a few.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20081230/SPORTS03/812300372/1058/SPORTS03

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    TOP & limiting big plays from Manning will be keys. Keep the ball out of his hands & don't give up the big play.

We're gonna take these guys. :tup:

8. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    From games past, Peyton get happy feet when he's pressured and he makes bad throws. The games in 05, 06, 07 show this.
    All posters have hit it right with getting the run game going early. Have Sproles in there because he has scorched them too many times and they will be worried about him, leaving somebody open.