1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Military Family Support Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lightning's Girl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This song was written and sung by a friend of mine, Jim Tolbert.

RIP Jim.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

• Like Like x 1
  5. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +78
    http://www.thehumorzone.co.uk/amarillo.htm

Some military humour courtesy of the British Army.

The 'Amarillo' video was ripped off from one comedian Peter Kay made for the re-release of the song 'Is this the way to Amarillo'. When it was first shown it spread so quickly around British military email sysems that computers in HQs in London crashed for a short time.

Personally, I served 23 years in the Army before deciding my body couldn't take any more. I served a number of times with US Forces and was impressed with the manner in which they were looked after by their leaders and looked up to by the general public.

My first couple of visits to USA were spent training in Fort Lewis, Washington State, thoroughly enjoying it on both occasions.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    well I just heard from mine..........

well dont get me wrong the army life is easy. but i dont want to be in the army is not for me. today we had a softball game it was with in the company the soldiers vs. the NCOs. and i was the coach for the soldiers and we won. we beat them badly. now we have won the **** talking rights til the next game so today was pretty fun so far but im off to work ill talk to you later dad

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    The military isn't for evryone, Bro, as you well know. Hopefully, he has skills to get a good job as a civilian.

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Well like father like son.

I was playing Softball up at North Clairemont Rec and ran into a Chin up bar, 45 Minutes later I woke up in an Emergency Room took 12 Stitches in my Chin.

Saturday Chris was playing Softball, he said he robbed a guy of a Homerun, as he Caught and held on to the ball, he ran into the fence. An hour later he was in the Emergency room, he has a Black Eye, Fat Lip and a swollen Cheek.

He caught his, I didn’t.

He has to take it easy for a week.

I ended up losing my tooth.

All his are tight, so far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Bof'a y'all, rub some dirt on it and get back in there :icon_eek: :yes: :icon_tease:

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    The Navy found they had too many officers and decided to offer an early retirement bonus. They promised any officer who volunteered for Retirement a bonus of $1,000 for every inch measured in a straight line between any Two points in his body. The officer got to choose what those two points would be.

The first officer who accepted asked that he be measured from the top of his head to the tip of his toes. He was measured at six feet and walked out with a bonus of $72,000.

The second officer who a ccepted was a little smarter and asked to be measured from the tip of his outstretched hands to his toes. He walked Out with $96,000.

The third one was a warrant officer, a grizzly old Chief who, when asked where he would like to be measured replied, 'From the tip of my penis to my testicles.'

It was suggested by the pension man that he might want to reconsider, explaining about the nice big checks the previous two Officers had received. But the old Chief insisted and they decided to go along with him providing the measurement was taken by a Medical Officer.

The Medical Officer arriv ed and instructed the Chief to 'drop 'em,' which He did.. The medical officer placed the tape measure on the tip of the Chief's penis and began to work back. Dear Lord!' he suddenly exclaimed, 'Where Are your testicles?'

The old Chief calmly replied, “Vietnam!”

11. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    :icon_rofl::five::hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    A friend posts Special Forces soldiers that died in Vietnam on a weekly basis. This was part of his latest postings=

1969 10 14 E-6 SSG Edwin R. Grottke, Jr. 11B4S KIA SVN; 5 MSFC, A-503, Tay Ninh Prov., 1st CRP ambushed at XT093898, 9k north of A-323, Thien Ngon

This means the soldier was killed on 10/14/1069 in South Vietnam, his unit, the location, and a brief description of the incident.

The following is from another friend still suffering from survivors guilt-

"Well, we made it, just like we thought, out of the mud and fear, and back to light and love, we did it all “the monster steak, yeah, the country ham, fresh milk, good bourbon and, and cooold beer” but we didn’t forget, we called your folks as promised and sent the pictures we took, but then life went on; school, wife, kids, and it happened; we couldn’t remember all your names, you were the skinny kid from Kansas who took the grenade; the black guy with glasses that recited Shakespeare who got it on point; the medic with the constant grin, that got it on the mountain; that big loud French guy with the German name that always made us laugh, that got it an ambush meant for me."

RIP "Frog", you will never be forgotten.

I read these every week; some times are harder than others.

13. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Just talked with my soldier girl; looks like she's going to extend her contract for another two years. She's just afraid of getting out of the Army and being unable to find an ATC job in the civilian sector........and the fact that she's headed to NCO school soon to prepare for her promotion to Sergeant has more than a little to do with it. It'll mean another deployment, probably to A-stan this time, but I understand why she wants that promotion. I'm SO proud of her, and of my son who's going through basic training as we speak.....he turns 20 tomorrow, and probably won't even remember it's his birthday until he gets his B-day card in the mail. They do have a way of keeping the boy busy!

• Like Like x 1
  14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You're kids are special, Darlin, with a special mom!! :yes: :tup:

15. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Flattery will get you EVERYWHERE.......:yes:

Thanks, Toby, you know how to touch a mother's heart.:icon_toast:

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Aw shucks Ma'am * scratches ground with left toe * * blushes *

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    A bold and fast thinking soldier....
    A Lt, Moffit Dunrise I think his name was, who was in the 82d Airborne Division during the last days of WWII decided to go out in front and see what was out there even though he had been ordered to stay put. He took a couple of other men and set out in a jeep. Far out in front of their lines they rounded a bend and ran smack into the lead element of an SS Panzer Corps.

Everybody stopped and after a couple of seconds, the Lt jumped out and walked to the commander of the SS unit. The German commander asked him what he was doing out here and the Lt said that he had been sent out to accept their surrender.

The German laughed and said, "to 3 men in a jeep?" The Lt told him they had an armored division and a division of paratroops behind them and added that the Russians are behind you. Do you want to surrender to us or them? The German officer went back to his armored car and and shortly returned and handed him his luger pistol and surrendered.

Ref: Military Channel today.

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Well this was my Email.......

Well are you getting better after your battle with a Fence?

Did that help you in your quest to be a Soldier of the Month?

Any takers on your quest to swap leave dates?

How are you dealing with things?

How’s the weather?

Can you tell if its Fall over there, does the sand change colors?

Everyone is still with you 1,000%, and I am continually being told to thank you for being there, and thank you for serving!

and this was his response.........

hey dad whats up? well my black eye has almost gone away. i am still trying to go back to the soldier of the month but there is a few people in front of me and i got to earn my way back. no luck with the leave dates but i have made a sign a posted it in the TOC so hopefully. i am dealing with everything fine. its getting easier over here i am in a grove now so days go by fast and softball makes it better i have a game tomorrow. the weather is now getting cold or at least it feels cold in the morning. its like 60 now in the morning so it feels cold. but i hope to get use to it like the hot weather. and no the sand does not change any colors.funny. anyways today the command sergant major of oyr battalion back in the rear came to our company today and my first sergant put my name saying that i have been doing a good job lately and he gave me a battalion coin. so it feels good to be appreciated for all the hard work i put in. and i also overheard that i will be getting a waiver for my E-4 soon. like by december or january so that will be nice. i am being reconized in the company as a hard working soldier and it feels good. people treat me different now. and tell everyone thank you for there support i appreciate it and i will be home in like 9 months. but i also heard that since i have been at ft campbell over two years once we get back that i will be put into army needs since im an engineer. and most likely i will PCS to a new duty station probabally going to Afghanistan. so before i get out i should be able to say i have been to both Iraq and Afghanistan. that new with me what about you? hows kevin? work? hows being a civilian? still umping?well ill talk to you later dad

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Damn, I hate that.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    So do I

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Qn this day in 1983, at 0622hrs, a terrorist drove a demo-loaded
    truck into the Marine barracks in Beirut. The blast killed 241
    Americans, mostly Marines.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Found out Thursday that a former coworker's son was found dead in his barracks last Monday morning. He was an MP stationed somewhere in Colorado, 19 yrs. old. No word yet on what happened. :icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    That is very sad news, The family is in my thoughts and prayers.

24. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I'm sorry to hear that, Buck. :icon_sad:

Got some updates on my two soldiers.....Melanie has just re-enlisted for four more years. She was due to get out in nine months, but then NCO school intervened, and she's about to be promoted to sergeant.:tup: It's something she's wanted ever since she went in......hell, I wouldn't leave either! Of course, she'll be deployed again late next year, but as an ATC, she was in relatively safe territory when she was in Iraq.

I'm more worried about Chris, who's going to be stationed at Ft. Lewis (WA), which is only about 200 miles north of where we live---YAY!!!:flag:---but will almost certainly be deployed within a couple of months of his arrival there. He's in the infantry, so he's going to see action up close and personal. This, of course, comes as no surprise......we knew it would happen, and we're prepared. But even so, being an 'experienced' military family just means that we'll be storming Heaven with prayers until God gets sick of hearing from us. :unsure:

BTW: I'm so pleased to see this thread still alive and kicking after so long.......thanks to all of the ex-military folks and current military families who are keeping our troops in mind. You all ROCK!!!!!:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Aw man :icon_eek: :icon_sad:

Edited to add: prolly Ft Carson.

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

At work we have pretty much set aside every Friday as Red Shirt Friday. Every Friday people wear Red Shirts, and that is to help show support for those Troops that are overseas. I think I will ask our Program Manager if I can get some pictures of a group shot of everyone wearing Red. The only problem during Football season is that every Friday I wear my Charger Colors to show my support. I killed 2 birds with one stone, I now wear my Cromartie Pro Bowl Shirt, it has Red Numbers, and is still showing my support for the Chargers

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
  29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

• Like Like x 1
  30. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I just spoke with Chris on the phone. He has a 4 day Pass and is headed to Qatar. He will be staying in a 50 man tent, but he will be going deep sea fishing one day, riding on a Quad for one day,and he will be going through a crash course in scuba diving, and then will be doing some scuba diving. He was waiting on transporatation to the Airport as we talked, and had to hang up because it had come.

I told him I want to see some pictures.

• Like Like x 1