1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The most wonderful thing you've ever witnessed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Share your story. Maybe it was the birth of your child, finding the love of your life, accomplishing something great, an incredible journey, etc. Something that was beautiful at first site and changed your life.

For me it was a dream come true.
    Since I was a kid back in Maryland, I always wanted to live in San Diego, CA (for no real reason.) Not sure why. I'd never even been there (though I saw my uncle get married in Santa Barbara around age 12.).
    After finishing college and gaining some work experience in Maryland, it was time. I kept trying to convince some friends to come with me but they wouldn't. I finally just said to myself "go alone. Otherwise, you'll never get out there."
    So after lots researching for apartments and sending out lots of resumes, I decided that it would be May 14, 1999 when I hit the road. I had no job lined up. Just $8,000 that I had saved, an apartment to move into, and a dream.

Though that dream had some unexpected hardships. First was saying good-bye to a woman I loved. If she could have come out here with me, I think I would have married her but our future plans (and dreams) were too far apart.

Then was an even harder punch!!!
    A long time friend since first grade had called me on Mother's Day of 99 and said "I can go." I was really excited!! That would make the road trip from Baltimore to San Diego really fun BUT... that would be the last time I would speak to him.
    I got a call from his sister the next day. She had told me that "Larry died last night." This was four days before it was time to hit the road.
    I don't know exactly what happened but he was having chest pains so he went to the hospital. At age 31, he went into cardiac arrest.
    This was maybe four hours after I spoke to him.

So I went to his viewing on Friday, May 14, 1999, around 12:00am, then hit the road right after. I gave myself 5 days to make this trip. It was cool. I stopped and saw the Mississippi River, Spend a night in Dallas, and visited the O.K. Corral on the way.

Wednesday, May 19, 1999 around 11:00 am, I saw the California sun shine into the windshield of the Ryder truck as I was got over the mountains and past the boarder on 8 West. That's when I felt a major burst of excitement!!! I'm less than two hours away from my destination!!!

Then I entered San Diego County and I said to myself "I'm home!!" It really felt like home too. My apartment was in College Area but I felt that I needed to get to the beach first.
    So I drove to Mission Beach and parked by the roller coaster. Then I took off my shoes, walked out on the beach and stood there in the ocean (up to my knees), looking out at the sun.
    I smiled and said "We made it, Larry!!!"

2. chiefsgal

chiefsgal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443
    I seen plenty of wonderful things.....but I must say the most wonderful things I have ever seen are the births of my 3 sons...:yes:

3. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    It's a toss-up between the birth of my kidletts and driving/hiking through Zion. The kids win, but Zion is awesome. Makes you feel like an ant in the grand scheme of things.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Wow.

5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I've been mulling on this one - had to, have lived too long and seen too much not to - and I think I'll pick presiding over the birth of my son in the front seat of a 1967 Rambler Rebel back in November of 68. We almost made it, but he was born in the parking lot of the Portsmouth Naval Hospital, with "Dr. Dave" presiding... Afterward, I ran in and got the emergency staff out there in a hurry.

The Doc ask one of the older nurses if she though my wife needed a shot to calm her - the nurse replied "no", then nodded in my direction and said "but he looks like HE could use one". :D

Having done a career in the Navy, and traveled around the world multiple times - THAT event/sight was special.

Sidenote - when I picked him up by his heels and swatted his tiny little butt - he both cried and peed on his Daddy at the same time. ;)

6. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    My Lady Showing Me Her F Cups...

:cool:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:hilarious: I guess that was a beautiful site!!! It also seemed to have changed your life!!! :hilarious:

These are great stories. Keep em' coming!!!! :tup:

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    The birth of my 2 Sons.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :tup:

Every parent says the same thing... "it's a job and it's tough but it's ALL worth it!"

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And it is the truth; I have seen a lot of "things" in my life. But to be there when a new life is brought into this world, and as a father to being given the pair of scissors to cut the Umbilical cord, A Charger’s Super Bowl victory and being there in person, would only be second place in this category for me.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Great thread B4L!

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Why don't you add to it? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  13. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205

:cool: Sure Did....I'm Not Sure How I Ever Enjoyed Sex Before....That's The Kind Of **** That Keeps Me LOYAL....

Just Took Some Pics Of Me And My Lioness On Her Birthday Yesterday And When We Looked At The Pics It Was Like Dammmmmmmmmnnnnnnn......They're Bigger Than My Head!!!!!!

Guess I'll Have To Upload Em Later Since I Can't Find My USB Cord...

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    since I don't have kids I'll go with my bar-mitzvah at the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    WOW! I would love to see the area, the history that has happened there.... WOW!:tup:

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    One of the greatest experiences of my life, you feel the presence of God there stronger then at any other place (maybe for Catholics/Christians St. Peter's or the Church of the Holy Sceplicure is the same).

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Me too.
    I'm about as religious as OJ is innocent (evidence wise) but just imagine if those walls could talk!!! :icon_eek: :tup: