1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The New Guys

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 24, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
    [​IMG]

Donald Butler, LB, Washington
    [​IMG]

Darryl Stuckey, S Kentucky
    [​IMG]

Cam Thomas, NT, North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Jonathan Crompton, QB, Tennesee
    [​IMG]

Dedrick Epps, TE, Miami
    [​IMG]

Brandon Lang, LB, Troy
    [​IMG]

Seyi Ajirotutu, WR, Fresno State
    [​IMG]

Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    good work man

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I couldn't find any more of the UDFA's pics....or I just didn't care enough.:lol:

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    HAPPY AS HELL!:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    This was a phenomenal draft!! We got our RB, our LB, and our NT. And hell, we even got a tall WR out of it :lol:

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Nice post, thanks.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I liked this analysis of the Darryl Stuckey pick....http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/darrell-stuckey?id=494309

Pick Analysis: The Chargers add a ball hawk with the selection of Darrell Stuckey. The dynamic playmaker gives the team a versatile safety with the ability to play in or out of the box. He might emerge as the draft's biggest sleeper.

8. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    SCOREBOARD:

Chargers

[​IMG]

Broncos

[​IMG]

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't forget the part directly below what you posted:

Stuckey is a short well built player with good athleticism. He was the Jayhawks’s most productive defender in 2009 racking up 93 tackles from the safety position. Stuckey has good quickness, agility and balance but does have great pure speed. He is best in combination zone coverage’s and leverages the ball well from off the hash. He is quick to fill the alley versus the run. Good instincts but average ball skills with the ball in the air. Stuckey is a good overall football player that is likely to contribute as a backup in the secondary and on special teams

10. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    There's no way to not like the sound of that!

:tup:

Overall, I have to agree with szarmes, I think that while AJ didn't do what anyone expected him too, and while his moves did seem a little drastic, he got the job done. We'll know for sure come September!

11. Lightning_Dynasty

Ratings:
    +310

Seriously, if you want to complain about everything at least wait until they've (our picks) actually dissapointed.

Seriously, optimism is what we're looking for here, not pessimism.

• Like Like x 1
  12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I've read some great stuff about his leadership and motor on the field, I can see him being a guy that flys down the field and smacks the **** out of someone. You gotta be a little nuts to play ST's.:tup:

As far as SS, he'll definitly challange Ellison for the starting job. He may end up being a steal, he may end up being a special teamer for life.....realistically you can't expect every 4th round pick to be a pro bowler.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am just pointing out exactly what the provided link said, nothing more, nothing less

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope he is a stud. I was just pointing out what the provided link said about the guy.

People are talking about him like he is the next Ed Reed, yet the link says he is projected to be a special teamer/backup.

15. Lightning_Dynasty

Ratings:
    +310
    I'm talking about your posts in general.

Plus you bolded the only (somewhat) negative part of the analysis.:icon_shrug:

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Not even close to what anyone around here said.:lol:

I didn't know much about this guy at all until I read about him today, but he seems like an "AJ guy", and I like that. It was the same link that says he could be the biggest sleeper in the draft.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Everything i've seen and read about both stuckey and butler is they are as good as it gets. Both are football smart and have a nose for the ball. Gave good physical ability. and have good tackling ablity. Whats not to like. I"m guessing both play a bunch next year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree! This was a good draft for the Bolts. We now should have a complete offense, and our defense should improve! I have high hopes for the 2010 season!:tup:

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly. Quit being a Debbie Downer about this draft, jeezus.....

[​IMG]

20. Shabba

Shabba BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Well I love this draft. At first I was skeptical after giving up lots for Matthews, but I sat tight, didn't over react and waited to see what AJ had up his sleave. I LOVE the Butler pick, didn't know two much about Stuckey but everything I've seen has been positive and Cam Thomas in the 5th was great. Epps was an interesting pick, but he was picked in the 7th!

You'll get the haters, every team has 'em, but for me, we improved in almost every area of need in this draft. And hey, last year we went 13-3!

21. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    It's a great crop of NFL-ready, football-smart players. Ryan "Rynomite" Mathews is going to do wonders for the entire team. Butler destroyed USC in that game and he's really a courageous ball hawk from what I've seen. Ellison's a hitter but Stuckey has the ball smarts and adds something more to the defense. Cam Thomas is a quintessential NT, not an elite one, but ready to make an impact right away.

22. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162

this dude shot potential on the run and pass bye bye weddle or ellison

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Lets add this guy to the list of New Guys.

Shawnbrey McNeal, RB, SMU

[​IMG]

24. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    THAT happy?!?!? :icon_huh:

25. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    All I know is...

Irrespective of A.J. Smith's trading up, and surrendering the #40 pick, etc......

If we had been told before the draft that Smith would come away with Ryan Mathews, Cam Thomas, and Donald Butler, any of us would have been CRAZY to be anything other than thrilled about it.

You can't argue with THREE major areas of need being addressed, when the roster you're starting with is as deep as the Bolts' roster is. :icon_banana:

26. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers report

Free-agent signings spur competition

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 12:02

Among the 20 undrafted free agents signed since the NFL draft ended Saturday, the Chargers found competitors for depth on their offensive line, perhaps injury protection at wide receiver and an intriguing candidate to throw into the battle to be the third running back.
    Having not drafted an offensive tackle, the Chargers signed Texas Christian tackle Nic Richmond, who visited Chargers Park in March. The 6-foot-8, 310-pound Richmond started just one season but is considered to have much potential. He has a shot to challenge for a roster spot along with 2008 seventh-round pick Corey Clark.
    With Kassim Osgood having signed with Jacksonville, there might be competition for a spot as a receiver. While the Chargers already have the five receivers they likely will keep on their roster, there are some candidates to give practice-squad receiver Gary Banks a run in training camp.
    The Chargers signed Fresno State’s Seyi Ajirotutu, who is 6 feet 4, has soft hands and the ability to jump.
    After coaching him in the East-West Shrine Game in January, West squad coach Marty Schottenheimer said of Ajirotutu: “He reminds me a lot of Vincent Jackson or Malcom Floyd in San Diego. He is a big kid and can run like the wind. I’ve been very impressed by him.”
    Tulane wide receiver Jeremy Williams is also one to watch after catching 1,113 yards worth of passes last season. He returns kicks as well.
    While the team signed Marcus Mason off waivers in March and brings back Curtis Brinkley, an undrafted free agent signed in 2008 who was involved in a shooting and never made it to San Diego, it will open up the competition for the third running back spot.
    To that mix, the Chargers added Shawnbrey McNeal, who transferred from Miami to Southern Methodist to be near his ailing mother. He ran for 1,125 yards in one season under June Jones and then left school for financial reasons. He is small (5-9, 194) and not terribly fast but is a good runner and kick returner and could add excitement to the preseason.
    The Chargers will also throw tight ends Richard Brockel (Boise State) and Deajleon Farr (Memphis) into the competition for the third spot with seventh-round pick Dedrick Epps.
    Outside linebacker Brandon Lang (Troy) and inside linebacker Kion Wilson (South Florida) are intriguing prospects as well, although both are coming to a team loaded at their positions.
    Complete free-agent list

Seyi Ajirotutu, WR, Fresno State; Brady Bond, T, Oklahoma State; Richard Brockel, TE, Boise State; Dajleon Farr, TE, Memphis; Richard Goodman, WR, Florida State; Jeff Hansen, C-G, Montana State; Cory Jackson, FB, Maryland; Jordyn Jackson, WR, Eastern Oregon; Justin Jeffries, T, Kentucky; Cort Johnson, P, West Texas A&M, Brandon Lang, LB, Troy State; Shawnbrey McNeal, RB, SMU; Ryan Otterson, T, Wyoming; Nic Richmond, T, TCU; Traye Simmons, CB, Minnesota; Ernest Smith, WR, Baylor; Marcel Thompson, WR, Lindenwood; Bryan Walters, WR, Cornell; Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane; Kion Wilson, LB, South Florida.