1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The next Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Does Joiner know anything about designing, implementing, developing, and adjusting an offense? I like him as much as the next guy, but I'm curious as to why, in spite of his presence, Meachem is garbage and our route tree received no adjustments in spite of the change in personnel we received? Am I placing too much at the feet of Joiner here?

I like him, but I don't know what would make him the choice at OC if we're bringing in a defensive HC.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Agreed, Joiner does wonders with the WR's, let's leave it at that. Game planning for an ENTIRE offense is another ball field

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I really hope our next HC isn't someone who calls the plays on either side of the ball. Leave the X's and O's to the coordinators. I want the HC to set the game plan and "motivate" the players. Give me a Mike Tomlin type

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    I hate the stumpy SOB, but what I wouldnt give for someone like Belicheck to come in here anf change the culture from the top down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree. We need someone to run the TEAM, not just one side of the ball

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +237
    Does anyone actually think we'll get a good coach? Sure, they will probably be better than Norv but that isn't really setting the bar high is it?

I'm really hoping the next coach can bring focus. When we're being hurdled by the media for losses or other distractions, I want a coach that will put the blinders on and do whatever it takes to win.

It's why I think lesser known re-tread is what we need. I imagine a college coach wouldn't work with any of the players we have without a huge overhaul being done. We don't need to blow up the team, just find lighting in a bottle with a re-tread that's dying for another chance at glory.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    The mindset I'd absolutely love from a coach... take a look back at Mike Tomlin's press conference after his Steelers crapped the bed against our mediocrity-filled side. No himming or hawing. No "we have to play better and I know we can." It was a simple "that kind of performance is flatly not acceptable and it won't happen again"... and you knew he meant it wholeheartedly.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Joiner learned from the best, became one of the best and taught some of the best, I'd imagine there isn't much that Joiner doesn't know about offense but I could be wrong.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Hold the ******* boat.
    Doesn't that dude cheat?
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I guess those Gorilla Towels dont mean a thing.

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    It took the NFL 3 weeks to almost apologize for the gorilla incident.
    Not sure what they did for Belichick re filming--probably figured that giving him the Super Bowl was enough...

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    every team out there is cheating.

13. NatroneBomb

NatroneBomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    http://espn.go.com/college-football...w-stanford-cardinal-agree-long-term-extension

Looks like Shaw and Stanford have signed a long-term extension. Now I know that usually when NFL teams come calling college extensions usually aren't worth the paper they're printed on, but I see this as a symbolic move that Shaw wants more than two years to create his legacy on The Farm. When you have a prospect like Kevin Hogan who has 3 more years of eligibility and first round potential who can blame him? Not to mention Barry Sanders (JR) in the backfield next year.

So it looks like David Shaw is coming off the list of potentials for Chargers new HC. I had him near the top of my list, but I also really thought it may have been too early for him to leave Stanford seeing as how I'm a fan of The Cardinal.

But, hey if our new HC doesn't do much of anything, and Rivers continues to get beat up we might be in a perfect spot to draft Hogan and secure Shaw as our head coach anyways 2-3 years down the line. Silver lining??

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    So, I posted this up over on the Charger Forums for my site and figured I'd share here just to see what other people thought. To preface, please don't devolve discussion from this prompt into "Spanos is a moron," "Anyone's better than Norv," blah blah etc. stuff. These are honest questions I'm asking and trying to work through logic to see if we can peg any realistic candidates. Some of the names I've thrown out are not guys that I would say are one's I openly want or don't want, they're just ones I'm aware there exists a visible tie to us or has been an expressed outcry for from the "layman" fan. And to clarify by layman, I'm not referring to the people that ritually check Charger-pertinent internet forums (well... aside from maybe the .com MB as there are plenty people there that are just clueless and want to spout off) or are diehard enough football fans to take the time to learning and understanding the finer points of the game and how the league operates. Sadly, these are Dean's target audience as a businessman first and a "sportsman" second.

I will, however, accept "TLDNR" as an appropriate response. :p

15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Then some are cheating a helluva lot better than others...

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    But not, "**** it, Spanos is a moron, give me another drink"
    ???

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    It's all about timing and technique.

18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Up front if I had to chose right now, I'd go with Chucky because I believe he'd instantly change the Boltz' wishy washy culture and, for some reason, I believe he'd have less downside than some others.
    Not feeling the Arian love. Do appreciate that the Colts are playing for him, but as pointed out elsewhere on the interweb, they've not had too tough a schedule. Arian came to Indy as OC from Pitt where he was OC, and Cleveland before that. Believe the knock on him is that he's a bit of a longball advocate; if so, seen enough of that around here.
    One question that comes to mind about Chip Kelly and his recently reported consulting with the Patriots: is NE trying to develop a connection with him to gain the inside track if (IF) BB has already decided to retire in a year or two? That would be a perfect match for Kelly and NE and horrible for the rest of the AFC.

19. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
    I've said this a couple of times, I think that Jim Tressel would be an fantastic Head Coach. He's had tons of success at Ohio State is currently working for a university in a position that is not related to a sports program so I think it would be easy to recruit him. The Buckeys have a hugh dedicated fan base all across the country so I think his presence on the side line will bring in the fans and that would make Deano satisfied.

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    TLRA (too long, read anymays)

21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +237
    Weren't most of his wins nulled?

How about Brain Billick for the HC spot?

22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Just reporting this, since I havent seen it in here yet that I know of. Nick Saban has said that he would like to return to the NFL IF the opportunity came up where a team with a good QB already there.

Hmm Saban would probably also want to get some input into the draft picks. Which if AJ is gone too, could be doable.

23. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Considering his track record in the NFL, I am not sure I want Saban. but, if that is who is chosen I will have to support him, for a while.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    How much of a sample size is there to really base that off of though? He did one season, assembled one hell of a staff (seriously, go look at that Dolphins coaching staff his one year in Miami, it's a who's who of future notoriety in college and pro coaching - Will Muschamp, Hudson Houck, Jason Garrett, Derek Dooley, Dan Quinn, Keith Armstrong), and led the team to a 9-7 record where they missed the playoffs on tiebreakers (and that was, mind you, with Gus Frerotte starting at QB and an aging defense in place).

There are a lot of "reboot" pro coaches I rather prefer Saban over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I agree I just had to mention what I heard. There arent really alot of gigs in the NFL HCes dept that also have the luxury of a good/great QB already locked in on the roster.

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Keith Butler and a chicken in every pot on Sunday's, that's the winning ticket!!!!!!

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude has Peyton Manning. You and I could be the OC and do great

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'd be ok with Saban, but you have to wonder about how motivated he's going to be to leave Bama, whether they win the championship or not. He's got a monster program, is paid, and commands top recruits.

29. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    He changed the entire offense mid season last year to make it work for Tebow. Norv can't make 2nd half change let alone change his whole playbook.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Their defense was giving up 28 points a game during their 2-5 start last year, and 17 points a game during their 6 game winning streak. Those wins were on the defense, not on Tebow or McCoy, those offensive changes accounted for less than 4 points per game compared to 11 points their defense stopped giving up