1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The NFL must rethink the blackout policy!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    How many of you would love to bank $20.4 billion in US dollars? I know I would. Get this… that is how much the NFL will be paid by CBS, NBC and FOX for television rights fees through 2013. Yeah, that is billion with a B. The NFL is making money like never before; they are a Juggernaut corporation that well oiled and working well. They are making enough money to build new stadiums in every city the existing franchises play in and still have loads of green left over.

And with all of this money, the NFL is still holding on to the archaic mentality of blacking out non-sell out home games. Don’t the men who control the golden goose see that this is actually costing them money? Times are hard, money is tight. People would be going to see the games if they can. But if they can’t be there in person, they would watch on Television, thus increasing local revenue via commercials and such. They would still be interested in their team and buy gear to wear, items to decorate their houses and root for their teams.

The NFL, blinded by greed, and shortsighted as always chooses to punish the local populations by refusing to allow them to see their teams games unless the game sell out at least 72 hours before the game. 72 hours, wait a minute! What? Where did that number come from? Well turns out it is a Congressional decision because in 1973 Congress passed and President Nixon signed a bill mandating broadcasting of home NFL games if there was a sellout 72 hours before kickoff. This was to insure that the stations who were showing the games did not bring in other teams to local markets and not show the home markets.

In 1973 perhaps the 72 hour window made sense, it was not as easy to reroute communications or get cameras from point A to point B. However we live in a world today where with a flick of a switch fiber optic lines are disengaged and others are engaged. There is no reason to require the 72 hours; the time could be changed to 24 hours and still have the same impact. It is strange that the NFL has not even tried to have this archaic law changed, no?

In the NFL, any broadcaster that has a signal that hits any area within a 75 mile (120 km) radius of an NFL stadium may only broadcast a game if that game is a road game, or if the game sells out 72 hours or more before the start time for the game.

If sold out in less than 72 hours, or is close to being sold out by the deadline, the team can sometimes request a time extension. Furthermore, broadcasters with NFL contracts are required to show their markets' road games. Sometimes if a game is very close to selling out, but not quite there, a broadcaster with rights to show the nearly sold out game will buy the remaining tickets (and give them to local charities) so it can broadcast the game (usually, this would involve no more than a few hundred tickets because of cost).

Other teams elect to close off sections of their stadium, but cannot sell these tickets for any game that season if they choose to do so. As a result, if the home team's game is a Sunday day game both networks can air only one game each in that market. (Until 2001, this rule applied whether or not the game was blacked out, however, this was changed because some markets virtually never aired doubleheaders as a result.) Usually, but not always, when each network can show only one game each in a market, the two stations work out between themselves which will show an early game and which will show a late game. This only affects the primary market, and not markets in a 75 mile (121 km) radius, which always gets a doubleheader each Sunday.

Now we have seen locally that the 75 mile (121 km) radius is also a bit subjective. Southern California residents in Riverside and Los Angeles counties are also blacked out. That is because the long standing league policy is now interoperated as: This includes all signals within a 75 mile radius of the stadium and those areas whose television signal reaches within that 75 mile zone. The league’s policy affects all telecasts, both cable and satellite.

So just your television signal going within 75 miles of Qualcomm stadium can have you blacked out. Amazing, in a world where satellite television can let you watch live what is going on at the other side of the world, we now have people trying to measure television signals. So how far does a television signal actually go?

I live in Riverside County, I do not get any San Diego stations from DirecTV, unless I pay for them, yet I am still blacked out, so what signal of mine is actually going within 75 miles of Qualcomm? Where is the logic in this, does the NFL or Chargers think or the fans as anything more than a source of income? I would hope they do, but it is times like this that I have to really wonder.

"The blackout policy is a longstanding policy in the NFL,'' NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said recently. "It has served us well. It has served the public well, and I do not anticipate any changes with our blackout policy.''

Goodell was asked recently where if the Jaguars are an endangered species. "It's one of the markets where we're seeing some challenges from ticket sales coming into the 2009 season,'' he said, knowing that the team's season-ticket foundation has shrunk from 42,000 to 25,000 in one year. "And we'll have other markets that'll have those challenges. It's all part of the challenges that we're seeing in the economy, and what our clubs are going through.''

Does the policy still serve you well Mr. Goodell? It is alienating your clientele in a time of financial crisis for many people! There is questions as to if the Jacksonville Jaguars will sell out a single home game this season. Clearly this is a minor market, because I am sure Goodell and the rest of the league fat cats would be falling over themselves to make adjustments if the same thing happened in New York or the DC area. But so long as it is the small out of the way markets the NFL will continue to rake in billions of dollars happily and thumb their noses at everyone who has to watch the bottom of the screen to see what your home team is doing.

The NFL is prosperous beyond my imagination. The $20.4 billion is ONLY from television revenues. It is not from merchandise sales or any other avenue of profit. The NFL can afford to reach out to the fans, to show the loyalty to us, that they themselves are demanding from us. They need to make it a two way street, not just make commercials about how much the NFL cares, but SHOW that the NFL cares. Right now people are losing their houses, facing uncertainties like never before, they can’t even sit down and watch their local NFL team, because they are in a small market. Thanks NFL…

Thanks for nothing!

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't think the 72 hour rule is the problem here. Ticket prices and quality of the product are bigger issues.

But the NFL much like MLB have the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

:tdown:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The whole thing is a problem IMO.

4. Chargerfan1982

Chargerfan1982 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    All good points. The NFL must also think of how they could be loosing fans as a result of these blackout policies. Young kids not being able to actually see the game and who do not have the attention span for radio will have no other means of exposure to watch and root for their hometown team. The Chargers have a great product (they are being picked to go far into the playoffs and even to the superbowl by many NFL analysts), so that can't be used as an argument for a reason why the games haven't sold out. The unemployment rate in San Diego is 10.3%. That's higher than the national average. Many people, including myself, are feeling the pinch of the economy and are trying to be more fiscally responsible. The NFL shouldn't punish us for this.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    And that doesn't include the $4 billion DirecTV paid this year to extend it's exclusive rights for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    They started broadcasting home games because the games were sold out and people could not get a ticket. Now then I pay over $1,200.00 bucks per year for my tickets. If I knew I could sit at home and watch that game for free, why would I buy a ticket?

Now then if the Nielson Ratings go down, the Networks are not going to give the NFL all that money, why should they. If nobody is watching the games the advertisers are not going to buy air time.

The Economy is heading south, and the owners are trying to get every penny they can, next year there is no salary cap, and if the owners cant sell out a stadium how are they going to pay all those salaries. If the people can’t watch the game on TV and there is still tickets to be sold, do you think the owners are going to open their wallets and let someone watch his team for free, while he has to pay BIG BUCKS to keep a player on his team.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    It won't be a true "no cap" year. As I understand it, teams can only pay 30% over the current cap.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Why can't the owners and the NFL find a price level where the stands would be filled and the people who want to stay home and watch pay-per-view can, so both would be satisfied.

how frigging hard can it be in this day and age

:icon_shrug:

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I agree with what some of you are saying

The only people powerfull enough to change that would be the networks, lower rating, less money they will pay to buy the broadcasting rights.

what if the NFL (thru directv) offered a "home team package" where you can "per-per-view" blackout games, say at $20 per household? would you guys pay for that?

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    are the games blocked out in TJ?

11. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    most of the time I watch the San Diego broadcast, cablemas (the local cable provider) shows San Diego and Tijuana area broadcast) so in that aspect yes.

But, the national network (TV Azteca) broadcast games nationally, they almost always show patriots or steelers, if they happen to show a Chargers game then we see it (same goes for Spanish ESPN)

Also, if I where to pay for NFL sunday ticket (available in SKY satelite TV) I would be able to see San Diego games (just too expensive)

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    but isnt that 30% cap only for one year?

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Putting people in the seats generate more revenue for the owners. They get a cut of the Parking concessions, plus what they make off the gate. People who advertise want that stadium full so they can get more eyes on their product. That means the owner gets more $$$$.

If I charge $25.00 to park a car or $150.00 to park your RV, $80.00 a ticket, $8.50 a beer and $5.50 for a Hot Dog, I am not going to make much $$$$$$ with you sitting at home watching it on pay per view.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this

I will never understand the logic of someone who EXPECTS the NFL to just show them games for free.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If going to the game was affordable, I would choose that over sitting at home. I don't think I'm the only one that feels that way

:icon_huh:

who said anything about free :icon_shrug:

16. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    Volume, most fans that go to the stadium still go even if the game is on tv, so we're talking maybe 5,000 fans that wouldn't go, so that's say 150 per person, if 50,000 pay $20 for pay-per-view they would be about even

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Why would I want the game broadcast for free?

I just spent $1,200.00 on Season Tickets. The reason they broadcast the games is because of people like you and me. WE buy tickets and we go to the Games. The games get sold out, and THEN they get broadcast into the local area. I do not have a problem with that.

And I love the Padres, and they broadcast home games, and they do not sell out.

What I am trying to say is that I do believe the games should be sold out before the Blackout is lifted, and yes that even goes for the Padres. The owners put a lot of big bucks up to buy the team, and it also costs a lot of money to operate a team. Hotel rooms for an entire team alone are expensive, plus they have to charter the Jet just to transport the Team. Front Office costs, plus what ever the Coaching staff makes each year. I do no know how much it costs to operate one team for one year, but I do know I could not afford that kind of bill.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    No, not you. :icon_rofl: I should have made myself more clear

I was agreeing with you post, then adding my own comment. Rereading it looks like i was responding to you. My bad.

The ONLY problem I have w/ the blackout rule is that it applies to Sunday Ticket. It's bullshit if you pay $200 or whatever the fuk it is and STILL get blacked out.

19. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Teams set their own ticket prices, but based on my understanfing of how the revenue sharing is structured all teams share the TV money, while teams keep a large persentage to ticket sales. As such, there is not alot of incentive for teams to lower ticket prices and ensure sell outs simply to get a game on TV because they don't make more money simply by cirtue of the game being televised, but they do by selling expensive tickets.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    but thats the problem going to the game is becoming so that it is not affordable. But then again going to an NFL has always been expensive. I remember having to pay $10.00 a game and I had to make payments on that $100.00.

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    the networks expect fan to see the game on tv, that's why they pay that much money

watching the game on tv contributes A LOT to the NFL revenue

blackout rules are rules, so I'm not going to rant that it's my right to have games broadcast to me or anything like that

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Of course they are going to game, they paid big bucks. I'm saying that by making it more affordable, the demand would go up, the pay-per-view would (imo) far outweigh the lower stadium revenue. There's no reason the owners can't tap into the TV revenue, actually, my guess they probably already do.

but hell, I have no fugging clue how all that stuff works. I'm just throwing out crap that makes sense to me and my ignorant ways.

:lol:

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and right now the only game that is sold out for the Chargers right now is the Eagles game. But we all know that as the time get closer, many more games will sell out, and it will be in enough time so that it gets broadcast. So all of this just might be a moot point. Come on now, the Raider game isnt sold out, when was the last time that did not sell out?

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    but that's right now, right? :icon_tease:

when has that stopped us from discussing the sh*t out of a topic? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Last year, we were in a very similar situation as we are now. Not all games were sold out. As we began to suck last year, the less people bought tickets. The blackout was lifted at least twice last year because major companies came in a bought the remaining tickets (last minute). From what I hear this year, the numbers we're lacking are far greater then years past. That, coupled with a crappy economy may result in no major company contributions...

My 2 cents...

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:lol::lol::lol:

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I thought the game was televised tonight outside of the SD market? I can't find it listed anywhere.:icon_huh:

28. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I only see it on NFL Network at 11:30AM PST tomorrow.