1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The NFL's half *** attempt at a blackout solution...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 10, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    In b4 whining...oh **** too late

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

No I disagree, Time is money.and a delayed broadcast is not
    the live feeling. My NFL game pass is about 3 minutes later than the television in US. Following the posts on this BOLTTALK forum I got to know what's coming soon on the screen. I always wanna have the newest action.

It's a good move of the NFL organisation to give the families, who can't show up at the stadium, the opportunity to see their team.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Then why should I spend the $$$$$ for tickets?

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Because a team's fan base goes beyond those in the stadium.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    NFL Sunday ticket was never designed or marketed to show you your local team if the game was blacked out. It was designed to bring you all of the out of market games.

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +347
    I just wish they'd offer pay per view, when the games aren't sold out. Can you imagine the bandwidth used from thousands of people watching NFL.com broadcast?

I think it is laughable, that the NFL says they do not want to give away their product for free. So, they aren't making money when there is only 65K fans there? But only make money when there is 70K?

I wonder how much of re-sale of tickets on craigslist, stubhub, etc, affects B/O's. Before internet, you just had to go to the ticket office, now you can look for dramatically reduced seats, in better spots, or combinations.

When I was younger, I really enjoyed going to the games, now with a family, it kinda isnt an option.

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    To see the game in real time live with all the emotions.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    NFL - Awesome Product.... Horrible Management

• Like Like x 1
  10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +347
    I lived in Chico already, and had enough. I'll take to Ocean, but miss the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

If we are blacked out, I'll just go fishing! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If they continue this, then I do not feel the need to renew my seats. I can sit at home and watch it for free.

Mr. Spanos does not need anymore $$$$ from me. I always had to work several Saturdays to get the $$$$ to pay for my seats. Now why should I. that money can go elsewhere. AND I can still watch every game at home

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    My point is that a team's fan base extends beyond the 60-70,000 that go to the stadium.

I don't feel slighted in the least for buying my tickets for the past 10 years. I'm there for my own reasons.

I also don't believe "you're not a REAL FAN unless you have season tickets". Fans are fans no matter how they support their team.

• Like Like x 1
  14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I live in Oregon. When the game gets blacked out in SD it gets blacked out here on Sunday Ticket too.

Its not like I'm sitting around hoping to get it on free TV, I spent a lot of freaking money switching to dish and signing up for this football package. If I could afford to live in San Diego and buy season tickets I definatly would.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    This.

Sunday Ticket doesn't work if the game is blacked out.

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    WHAT???

That's not right. I live in Michigan. I get the games come hell or high water.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I beg to differ. The NFL has become the premier sports league in the USA. You don't achieve that with "horrible management".

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I didn't get to watch the Carolina or Atlanta game last year because they were blacked out in San Diego.

I called DirecTv and all they said was "sorry, league blackout rules apply, blah blah blah..." even though I obviously don't live in the local market.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Dude, BOTH of those games sold out well ahead of time and were shown here. The only reason you will see that 'blackout' is if the game is shown on your local station in Oregon. I had Sunday Ticket for 10 years, and that was always the case.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I agree Matilack, Somebody is giving you the wrong story

21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Why can't the NFL just follow MLB's lead and make NFL.TV?

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Sports are different from most anything else in the open market.

Fans will continue to follow the sport no matter how it is managed (or mismanged) because the just love the sport that much.

Why do you think people continue to watch baseball despite all of the steroid scandalls and the worst financial system in all of proffesional sports and quite arguably the worst commisioner in the history of sports?

Football may have been, at one time, managed excellently to garner this level of popularity, but now that that has already been long since established, you can't use it as some sort of solid proof that they continue to manage it better than anyone else.

23. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Agreeee!!!!!!!!!!

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Actually, less and less people are watching baseball, pretty much for the reasons you listed, myself being one of them. I know alot of my friends have tuned out to BB as well in the past few years. Still follow thire teams, but aren't dyning to see them 24/7 like we clamor for fb. All you need to do is check the ratings dude.

There will ALWAYS be a fanbase for all sports in this country, even MLS gets people out to watch games. 20 years ago baseball was king. Now football is.

25. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    How do you get screwed over having NFL sunday ticket??? I thought having that enabled you to watch any game you want?? I thought blackouts were for local tv, not cable, or satellite???

I'm in Ohio so I only get to see them in prime time anyway, unless they play Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Just watch the games on the internet. Problem solved.

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    $$$$$$$$$

The Networks have given the NFL so much of it that they now control the game!

How many Commercials do they run during a game?

On Monday night our game against the Raiders will not start until the first game is Over. Why is that, and why must we start at 7:15?

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I love having to resort to choppy pirated intrent feed when I'm perfectly willing to pay 90-100 bucks for feed like I do for baseball games. :abq2:

29. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...I buy the baseball package each year (watching the Pads as I type this)...I would be glad to buy the football package too, but it is not offered through Comcast. I don't think Direct TV has a baseball package...correct?

30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Yes, they have MLB Extra innings. The problem I have with the MLB package is that there could be 15 games that day and MLB will show only 1 or two. Other days, they'll show them all.