1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Oakland Raiders will make the playoffs if

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 | Posted by Os Davis

Not to bait Raider Nation or anything, but Oakland fans might have some hash to settle.

A writer going by Dustin Blodgett (obviously a pen name) over at Bleacher Report, the “Open Source Sports Network” (yeah, and when my daughters scribble in the same coloring book, it’s an art exhibit), has made quite the proclamation in a recent lead: “Let's face it, no one is expecting the Raiders to come out and win a championship, or even make the playoffs.”

Huh? No one? Won’t even make the playoffs? Really?

Perhaps that’s what they’re reckoning on (giggle) in Miami Dolphins Land, but this writer’s already going into 2008 thinking the Raiders have a decent shot at entering the postseason. We’ll see how many of these conditions are met in the autumn, but bookmark this page, ‘cause the Os Hole is proclaiming that the Raiders can make the playoffs if ...

• ...Darren McFadden lives up to one-third of his potential. Kudos to Al Davis for signing McFadden rapidly; this writer was on the Glenn Dorsey bandwagon for the silver and black at No. 4, but hey, at least the Raider front office took care of business. One big and quick dude, if McFadden works out, he’ll be the most lethal weapon at running back Oakland has boasted since Bo Jackson.

• ...despite McFadden, Justin Fargas still gets his carries. No point in having this magically elusive dude freshly contracted after coming off a career year only to make him gather splinters on the bench. A nice rotation between the east-west Fargas and the north-south McFadden will perplex the best of running defenses.

• ...the offensive line continues to improve. After the laughingstock that was Oakland “protection” in the ugly season of 2006, head coach Lane Kiffin brought in O-line coach Tom Cable and his nifty zone-blocking scheme. Though keeping essentially the same personnel, the Raiders managed to reduce QB sacks from a ridiculous 72 to “just” 41.

• ...they make a midseason trade for Pau Gasol.

• ...the Cleveland Browns ain’t all that. As of now, my playoff bracket for 2008 – stop me if you’ve heard this combination before – has the New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars and San Diego Chargers. (Now remove one of these teams thanks to the wacky unpredictably of injuries, suspensions, drug busts and the like – I’m thinking San Diego ...) Taking the Houston Texans and/or Cleveland Browns as a dark horse is now essentially a cliché, but few other teams in the AFC appear prepared to make the next step. Except Oakland.

Looking back from 2009, NFL fans will search for when exactly marked the beginning of the end for Derek Anderson-as-starter for the Browns. Of course, Romeo Crennel’s speedy decision-making process should allow Anderson to get Cleveland off to a swell 3-4 start, more than enough time to get Oakland into a superior playoff position. And who would you rather have down the stretch, Romeo Crennel (20-28 as head coach, and an even 10-14 in the second half) or innovative Kiffin? I thought so.

• ...the improvement to the Kansas City Chiefs is all hot air and hype. By the time the 2008 season kicks off, the Arrowhead bandwagon should be moderately populated – call it the Hard Knocks bump. It’s tough to deny that Dorsey was a great pickup, that Kansas City by dint of sheer numbers had a killer draft, that the Chiefs have one of the youngest and most interesting teams in the NFL. Figure these guys to contend soon, but they may be a year away.

• ...they start quickly, start quickly, start quickly. Kiffin is throwing the media the standard line from a team looking to improve: That every position is up for grabs, who knows who’ll start, etcetera etcetera, ad infinitum. Nonsense: Kiffin had better actually have a good solid core group in mind and work them like dogs in the preseason until a well-honed machine takes the field in September. That schedule again: vs. Denver, at Kansas City, at Buffalo, vs. San Diego. Going 3-1 here is a huge step to contention. How huge? Divisional tiebreaker implications aside, it’s virtually a playoff prerequisite: Of the 12 teams playing in the tournament last season, 10 got off to a 3-1 or 4-0 start.

• ...they protect home field. Giving the Raiders that 3-1 start plus a couple of road victories (at Baltimore, Week 8; at Miami, Week 11) already puts the silver and black on the bubble. In Weeks 7, 9 and 10, Oakland gets the Jets, Falcons and Panthers in Cali. Imagine a sweet five-game winning streak in the middle of the season: Hardly unbelievable, but the true test arrives in Oakland’s face late in the season. Week 15 and 16 see the Patriots then the Texans coming to town. Calendars marked yet ...?

All in all, this writer fails to see why exactly “no one” is “expecting” the Raiders to make the playoffs. In fact, considering all factors, certain stars seem to be aligning in the 2008 Oakland Raiders’ favor. Of course, what might help is one more “if,” namely:

• ...a freak (minor, naturally) accident (yeah, surrrrrrrrrrrrrrre) befalls both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, preferably simultaneously and well early into the season.

RealFootball365.com.

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

Yeah Kiffin is saying that every position is up for grabs, cause their are no clear cut stars that are guaranteed to be starters....lol! I have seen bigger stars come out of my sons lucky charms bowl in the morning! I read this over at bleacher report and was lauging so hard I had tears in my eyes. Just like I read the other day that the overrated, overhyped DeAngelo Hall was the ressurection of the Raiders. Give me a break. Reminds me of living in Cincinnati and hearing Reds fans every year say "this is the year to win a World Series" and every year they are 25 games back at the All-Star break. Grow up Gayder nation and realize that its your turn to be the little kid get the SH!t kicked out of him everyday at school. Have fun this year being the cellar dweller once again!

:abq2: :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    There were alot of decent to good teams that just missed the playoffs last year. All those teams are better than The Raiders. I don't expect half the AFC to suddenly suck so the Raiders can get in.

The only way they would make the playoffs this year is if they won the west, and theta's just not gonna happen.

4. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    The Oakland Raiders will make the playoffs if.......

and then the alarm clock woke me up!

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    More blogger BS...

6. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    :icon_rofl: yeah Kiffin should know that cuz even his job is up for grabs:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

"IF"
    (allways the big if)
    "IF" I sheyat money id be rich right now too:tup:

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Yeah, realfootball365.com has a ***** for everything Raiders, and hates the Chargers.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Hell freezes over. :tup:

9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Or, like the song says,

"If My Nose Was Runnin' Money, I'd Blow It All On You".
    :nana_guitar:

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494

they move to the arena league.

11. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    I really believe the Raiders will make the playoffs...

oh look....

Monkeys are flying out of my butt and Hell just froze over...

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The Raiders will make the playoffs when.....

[​IMG]

13. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

When Jesus returns!

Stan :rivers17:

14. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Let them have their fantasies. Besides, it's more fun to crush their dreams this way :D

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    /thread

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Can you say "wishful thinking?"

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    So he thinks we're the team that's going to get hit by injuries, drug busts and suspensions? Does this guy understand depth- something the Chargers have much more of than any team in the west?

Nice to see the Turd bowl is getting stirred on Cocailand. :unsure: :lol:

:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    wishful thinking is nowhere near enough to make this delusion of grandeur sufficient

Raiders will make the playoffs if every other team in the AFC West is suspended because Al Davis planted drugs/guns/hookers/all of the above in the offices of all three GMs and Owners

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    ...they get moved to the NFC.

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    ...West

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    All honesty... I don't think the Raiders could be competitive in the CFL right now!!! Arena League... maybe.

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'm objecting to that, the AFL has some decent teams damnit!

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm sure they do. I have some great memories of CFL in Baltimore.
    The "Baltimore Stallions" are the only American CFL team to with the "Grey Cup" and will forever remain that way. Since there are no more CFL teams in America anymore.

24. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    The Raiders will make the playoffs if...

They put Jamarcus Russell on the defensive line as a run stopper. They can let their new multimilliion dollar man, Tommy what's-his-face, play QB. But they still need someone to push Javon Walker's wheelchair on routes. :icon_shrug:

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Raiders will make the play offs as soon as Stan votes for Barrack. :icon_rofl:

26. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    they played in the MWC. :icon_rofl:

27. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

That was my second choice!!! :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Barry is about a brilliant as Al Davis, he's living the marxist dream!

Stan :rivers17:

• Like Like x 1
  28. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    USC,LSU,GATORS,BUCKEYES> raiders

Notre Dame = raiders :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

29. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432