1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The offensive line today

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Dec 9, 2007.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I spent considerable time today watching the offensive line. (Yea, I know what you’re thinking…who cares what extended pinkie ball-watcher thinks) Anyway, since I was sitting next to Jeremy Clary’s parents, I watched his performance very closely; he played one hell of a game. He blew up Odom several times, one time he actually flipped him. :lol:

Goff got beat in space a couple of times, but his back is really bothering him. McNeill got beat several times; I don’t know what changed from last year. I saw him in street clothes after the game and he did not appear injured. Goff on the other hand is physically hurting, really hurting.

A win is a win.

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    How was the trip? :abq1:

3. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    If Goff is hurting then Mzruskowski should play more downs. Ease him in like they did with Clary. It's not like Goff's performances have been blowing anybody away. Also, if Mrzuskowski is a player then we won't have to spend an early pick at the position next year. It's a great time to find these things out.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Couple of thoughts

Until the late part of the fourth quarter and overtime, Dielman and Mcneil were beaten like damn drums by Haynesworth and VandenBosh. I blame them sufficiently for not playing better against other pro-bowlers but would someone MIND ASKING NORV TURNER WHY THE FRAK HE DIDN'T SHIFT THE PROTECTION TO THE LEFT SIDE OF THE LINE? Hell he could've just moved a tight end and/or back to block on that left side too. Instead he forced Dielman and McNeil to match up over and over again and get beat mano-a-mano over and over again

They do deserve some respect in the last part of hte game though

Hardwick sucked, looked confused and didn't do his job

If Goff is as sore as you say he is, move him out, let him rest next week and put Mrzucowski in damnit. Btw I heard a rumor McNeil is suffering from an injury

Clary's been a pimp out there.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Very good point. NOrv's hopefully got to learn he doesn't have a o-line that can hold for the seconds needed for the long developing pass plays. He's got to get quicker pass patterns going..

And the o-line should have to stay after practice and work on fundamentals till the cows come home. Just bad fundamentals in blocking from what I saw today.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Our offensive line needs some help and so does our defensive line.

Albert Haynesworth was a one man nightmare. Jesus christ I am glad if this Titan team does not make the playoffs. That game was brutal.

If Wilhelm does not miraculously deflect that pass when he did not even see the ball, the game is over and we lose that game.

7. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223

You should have the same handle on all the forums silly. :lol: Glad to see you had a great time.

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    He does.

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    i thought goff actually had a good game.

...for goff :yes:

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't know how to respond, I got too close.

I think Olivea is gone.

11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Promises promises.

Glad you guys had fun. Shammy gave me a 30 second run down of your weekend, I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

12. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Our OL was horrible again...atleast for the first 3 quarters. McNeil was gettin eatin alive. Why dont they make a switch? This is part of the poor play from rivers. When he gets bullrushed, he folds. Look at the last drive of the game, no pressure, we score, ballgame!

13. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I hope the end of the game for our o-line is a sign of things to come. A taste of their potential may be just what the witch doctor ordered.

14. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I have no idea what their issue is. I think the o-line's performance is directly related to how well Rivers does. They play well, he plays well. They don't, he doesn't. True of every QB in the league. Last year they played like pro-bowlers. This year, I don't know what their problem is.

15. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    When the OL struggles Rivers definitely struggles, he gets happy feet and throws the ball away like its on fire. Mcneil looks like a fool on pass protection. I'm glad the Titans defense was on the field forever near the end of that game, their fatigue was a huge contribution to our victory.

16. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Good to have the O-Line back.
    Hardwick's return has strengthen the pocket.
    Olivea's mistake costs Sproles a touchdown.
    But Goff and Dielman did good work
    McNeill still isn't as good as last year
    Clary proved that he can fill the holes.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Right now, I'd have to say that Clary & Hardwick are playing the best of the OL. McNeill is having a tough time, Dielman is sporadic, & Goff is hurting.

I was pizzed when Olivea cost Darren his 2nd TD, but then he scored later anyway. :tup:

The pocket was stronger (hey, it was Detroit!). See what PR can do when given some time? :yes:

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hardwick's return is HUGE

:tup::tup::tup:

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Did you guys see Olivea? Is it just me, or does it look like he has gained about thirty pounds since being benched?

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Dude cashed it in as soon as he got his big extension last year.

I think it is now obvious who LT was talking about when referring to guys just collecting a check.

Mr "THE Ohio State" can take a walk in the FA market next year.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Trade bait? We could use some more draft picks & someone out there needs an O-lineman. :icon_shrug:

Do I hear Miami on the line?? :lol:

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    My boy Cleo Lemon was left out to dry and then he resurrected that OT winning drive to another ex-Charger, Greg Camarillo to get the Dolphins their first win.

Props to my boy Cleo Lemon for forcing management to get the best man in there to do the job and admit they made a mistake.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Pat Kirwin had a couple of great observations yesterday on Sirius NFL Radio. He said that much of McNeill's success last year was due to guys just not having much tape on him and thinking they couldn't possibly run through a guy who's that big. So they got cute and tried everything BUT the bull rush. Now they're seeing he plays a little high and can be caught off balance with both outside or inside speed rushes as well as the bull rush.

Basically, the dude just needs to work harder I think. He hasn't lost his nasty streak, but he might have gotten a little full of himself thinking he can keep doing the same ol' shiit and it'll work out the same way every time. I think some work on the muy thai regimen with Merriman should do the trick.

24. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Yeah I was really happy for this win. Did you see Cameron in the locker room at nfl videos ? They gone crazy like winning the super bowl.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    if you'd gone through that crap I'd be partying like its 1999 as well
    Hell I imagine we all celebrated back in 2000 when we lost almost every game

26. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    How quick time fades by ... oh I remember that year and to be lucky by one lonely win