1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The OFFICIAL Draft Day Thread!!!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Apr 26, 2008.

1. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I figured why not freak out over it since people were freaking out over the other picks. :icon_shrug:

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    I'll take AJ's opinion over yours, he's done pretty ok up to this point in the draft don't you think? :icon_shrug:

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :tup: :icon_rofl: :flag:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Wentta hi skool in the San Antone area.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    and for all the people to senile to understand I'll say it again:

This year's third roundes was the 69th overall pick, next year's second rounder will be around 60th-64th pick, so about 9 picks later, not much when you trade next year's pick. I don't think a 5th round pick will cripple the Chargers.

BTW I'm not a "kid", don't assume that since your oppinion differs from others that you're a knowledgable fan and we're not

• Like Like x 1
  6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    :tup:

Time for Dirty Dielman to show him the ropes.

7. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, but that means that the Chargers have NO 2nd round pick next year when they're really going to need it.

I never said I was more knowedgeable. I just seem to be a little less trusting of ANYONE running the Chargers as we've been so close several times only to see the team slowly disintegrate into an NFL laughingstock just a few years later. I'm tired of it. 30 years of the same old thing is absolute B.S.

Just because A.J. has done a good job in the draft UP TO NOW doesn't mean he won't become a mediocre or crappy GM in the future. The guy has an ego the size of Texas, and he absolutely botched the Marty/Cam/Wade/Norv thing last year like an absolute clueless moron. He had Wade earmarked as the heir apparent to Marty and let him get away when he knew he wanted Marty gone. And AFTER he let his guy get away THEN he fires Marty? Amateur hour. Any one of us could have handled that situation better. I'm sure that topic was discussed to death at the time - and I'm sure there are a lot of people here who will agree with me.

Bobby Beathard and the Cowboys GM in the 70's and 80's are the classic examples that keep coming to mind of GREAT GM's who really could evaluate talent - until they bought into their own press and let their egos get the best of them (thinking that they could keep finding those hidden gems at the small schools - they both did it). A.J. started out with a bigger ego than those guys, and I'm just waiting for it to explode leaving the Chargers in the same kind of mess they were in in 1988 and 1998.

This draft makes no sense. I'm not the only one who thinks so. Just because A.J.'s had a handful of good drafts doesn't mean he's a great GM. He's a great scout and talent evaluator, but he doesn't handle free agents well, and he clearly doesn't have the people skills to handle conflict in the office well. You can't tell me that Norv Turner was the best possible coaching choice (Wade Phillips would have been a much better choice - and the players loved that guy and would have run through brick walls for him from day one).

It's obvious that there are a lot of A.J. Smith fans on this board, but I don't have blind faith in him or anyone else. I don't trust him, I don't like him (as a person he comes across as a real jerk), and I don't like his draft moves this year. At all.

I loved the last 3 or 4 drafts. I loved the Cromartie pick (thought that a guy with his athleticism was a real steal where they got him), I liked the Weddle pick - I liked every pick where I knew about the guy, and when he's making such good choices at the top I trusted him to the bottom of the draft because he was on a roll. No roll this year.

We'll see how this one works out, but I agree with the previous poster who thinks that 3 of the guys from this draft will be cut by the end of the pre-season.

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    They won't "really need" a 2nd rounder next year. Michael Turner should fetch a 3rd round compensatory selection and Drayton should be good for a 4th round or worst case scenario 5th rounder.

Have you ever been to Chargers.com or the UT before? :lol:

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    We all understand you don't like this draft, but even if this draft doesn't pan out at all, the sky still isn't falling. You are over reacting just a tad. :icon_shrug:

10. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think so. All the other teams with a shot at the Super Bowl have improved. The Chargers have stood pat.

The Chargers best opportunities to win the Super Bowl most likely were the last two seasons. The window of opportunity is closing. LT's productivity is dropping and will continue to drop (he's not getting any younger, and running backs generally have a short shelf life).

I've seen this team collapse before when a dynasty was supposedly beginning (or underway). Just a few key player losses in the next couple of years combined with just a couple bad drafts and this team suddenly gets passed by by 4 or 5 teams. That's how the NFL works in the free agent era - especially if your GM refuses to sign impact free agents.

Look how fast the Chargers went from Super Bowl to Suck after '94!

11. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Knowing the way the league has given "compensatory" picks to the Chargers Turner's good for a 5th and Florence a 6th. Even if Turner gets us a 4th that still isn't a 2nd, and there's a fairly significant difference between 2nd round talent and 4th round talent.

And we all know A.J.'s not going to sign any decent free agents to replace guys he loses. The guy is ridiculously stubborn on that point and it could come back to bite him (and the fans) in the ***!

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    The Pats lost Samuel, Stallworth, Colvin, and maybe Brusche and Seau. Not sure how much they improved. :lol:

13. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    You have no idea what you are talking about do you? :icon_rofl:

14. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Stallworth? STALLWORTH? That guy did very little for them he was their third receiver at best (Welker, Moss...). They still have the best receiving corps in the league. They'll pick up guys before the season starts and will have improved - they do it every year.

The Chargers don't. It's the draft or bust with A.J.

15. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    What did we get for our leading tackler for the last 5 years when we lost him?

I'm being realistic - I don't know what you're smoking, but anyone who thinks the league will give the Bolts a 3rd rounder for Turner is on something.

16. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Age, contract, first year in new contract statistical productivity and free agents brought in are the basic factors in the compensatory selection. Last I checked Michael Turner was younger, richer and the feature back of the Atlanta Falcons and barring injury likely to rush for 1200+ yards and 10+ touchdowns. Donnie was an old washed up ragdoll nearing the end of his career. Also, last year's free agent crop was strong than this year's. Bernard Berrian won't be given higher value than Turner, neither will Keary Colbert or Utecht or Max Starks or Boss Bailey or anyone else other than...

Justin Smith
    Alan Faneca
    Asante Samuel

You are talking out of your rear end and I just proved it :yes: 26 year old Turner and his 6 year 34.5 million dollar contract should get a 3rd.

• Like Like x 1
  17. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    They're not going to assign a compensatory pick based on OTHER free agents - they're going to base it on THE LEAGUE'S perceived value of said player.

Turner was a 5th round pick - that's the first think they'll look at. He NEVER started for the Chargers - that's another thing they'll look at.

Just because you and I think he's worth a 3rd (hell, maybe a 2nd) doesn't mean The League will. They'll be able to say that the Falcons GAMBLED on this guy and took a chance on a former 5th round pick who NEVER started an NFL game in his life! They'll also be able to say that the Chargers still have one of the best backs in the league, so the loss isn't that great.

All of that will be factored in.

The compensatory pick is theoretically ment to PARTIALLY COMPENSATE a team for a player lost. Turner was a NON-STARTER, so The League will not give the Chargers a pick meant to get a starter (or a possible starter) in return.

Turner also had a down year last year, statistically. Another factor that will be considered.

4th round compensatory pick at best. A 3rd rounder is just wishful thinking.

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    You rank the Pats receivers higher than the Colts, Cardinals or Bengals? :icon_huh:

I don't see it.

Moss, of course, is top shelf... but then you have Welker (read: Eric Parker)... and then you have..... and then you have..... ummmm.....

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am on some good ole crack here. I think that the NFL will give us a 3rd round compensatory pick for Turner because he will be the featured RB and be a Super Star for the Falcons. We will all see what a Great RB Michael Turner can be being the Starter.

I am happy for him.

20. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    I think it's based mainly on what he does on the new team, yes?

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    :clap:

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think we're in a B5Erik level red alert! :icon_eek:

[​IMG]

23. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Welker - the fastest receiver in the NFL, the most dangerous receiver AFTER the catch who, by the way, also runs great routes and has great hands. Eric Parker my ***!

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648

hmmmm........this does explain much :lol:

25. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    And how did the Chargers let Welker get away in the first place? I remember watching him that year and thinking that he was going to be a DANGEROUS receiver, and then they let him go.

Bad, bad decision. Especially considering all the trouble they've had getting receivers to play better than mediocre since then.

26. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Really, did you watch him play this year? Defenses could not handle the guy. He'd catch the ball and accelerate like no one else in the league. He's got ridiculous acceleration and separation ability. I've watched pro football for 30 years, college football for over 35 years, and I've never seen anyone with his acceleration after the catch.

I'm starting to think that YOU are completely clueless and just like telling people that they don't know what they're talking about to compensate for it.

Welker's a freak.

27. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

Wow, you pegged him as a dangerous receiver after watching him in training camp and preseason? I doubt that you watched him on the Chargers for the whole year, considering that he was cut a week into the season.