1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The OFFICIAL Draft Day Thread!!!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Apr 26, 2008.

1. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    No $#!+, Sherlock. But I watched him in preseason and he played then like he does now. His talent and speed were clearly evident at the time, and I was pissed when he was cut.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

God damn you're stupid. It's called quickness. He's lined up in the slot against nickel corners, safeties, and linebackers, and he's very quick in and out of his cuts, not fast. Randy Moss is fast, Deion Sanders is fast, Cro is fast, and the bolded statement is so incredibly ignorant, that I really wonder if we're talking about the same sport. Maybe you're thinking about European football?

3. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow. I guess all those punt returns for touchdowns, outrunning DB's drafted for speed - none of that means he's fast. He's got better acceleration than anyone else in the league. Have you been paying attention to him since he left the Chargers?

Like I said, he's a freak. Great hands, great speed, ridiculously good acceleration - he's a receiver the Chargers could really, really use to take this team over the top. And they had him & let him go. Stupid, stupid move. I said it then, and I'll say it now.

4. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Really? Football speed and track speed are two different things. Do you not get that?

Football speed is shorter distance - football speed IS acceleration and separation. Can you blow by the DB and make a 2 yard catch a 20 yard gain? Welker can, and does - often.

Welker and Sproles ARE similar in that regard. Both are great in the slot, and both are great returning kicks.

You can't be a great kick returner if you're not fast - and Welker's a great kick returner.

Come on, tell me you wouldn't like to see him back in a Charger uniform!

5. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Yeah, I've been watching... He started just 3 games in his 3 years with the Dolphins for a total of 96 receptions and 1 TD. WOW!

Dude, time to give it up. You just keep sticking your foot in your mouth.

6. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Kick return, punt return,whatever - I just remember watching it.

So you're basically saying that you wouldn't want Welker. OK, that's fine, but I think that undervaluing a great talent like Welker is stupid.

How'd he do this year, anyway? Since you've got the stats and all...

I can only think of ONE WR on the Chargers that I would keep over Welker right now. One. And just barely, at that. After Chambers who do the Bolts have that has been consistent?

7. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Again, what were his stats this year when finally given a chance to start? Are you REALLY going to call up his numbers playing on a HORRIBLE Dolphin team? I think EVERYONE on that team had subpar stats...

Man, Welker had a PHENOMENAL season, and you're bagging on him? Are you kidding me?

Come on!

8. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    See, now you're proving that you're stupid.

It's YAC that I'm talking about. Most of Welker's catches were near the line of scrimmage, of course his average per catch is going to be less than that of guys who catch the ball 20 or 30 yards downfield.

Nice to know that you have the stats pages bookmarked, though.

Welker's better than every reciever on the Chargers, with the possible exception of Chambers.

9. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Consistent? Welker's had ONE good year, but you'd take him over our WR's because none of them are consistent????

Dude, stop already. It's getting embarrassing!

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

SHUT UP!!!!! He's been watching football for five hundred years!

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just need to mention here, please try to keep things civil. I know some of you don't agree, but please do not resort to name calling.

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Are we talking about the same overrated Welker? The same guy who has done pretty much nothing until he's had the benefit of having Moss getting double covered? The same Welker that has the benefit of facing LB's and Nickel corners? The guy is not the fastest guy in the league, not even close, probably not even in the top 50, but he is quick, shifty, and has good acceleration that he uses to his advantage.

He's a great slot receiver but man he's not that great. He benefits so much from Moss it's not even funny. If he was the #1 WR he'd do nothing and that was evident when he played in Miami.

He's a perfect fit for the Patriots and it showed last season, but jeez with the way he was being described you'd think he was the best WR in the league.

Anyways all this talk about the SB potential teams improving, um what did the Colts and Pats do that improved themselves?

Although I've only watched football for 10 years....

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn - you're not just irritating, you're clueless, too. :lol:

Go blind someone else with your brilliance, OK? :yes: Maybe there's another forum with chicken little threads that you'd fit into - like at the UT or chargers.com? :icon_shrug:

We try to be a little more positive & analytical here - sometimes. :icon_tease:

14. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Riiiiiiiight.

So I'm the only one who thinks this draft was less than stellar for the Chargers?

Here's an interesting draft grade from Fox Sports:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8079910/Handing-out-draft-grades-for-AFC-teams

Only Cleveland and Tennessee got lower grades in the AFC.

And in today's UT:
    Oh, by the way - with all the Welker bashing here are some interesting stats for 2007: 112 receptions for 1175 yards and 8 touchdowns. Did any WR on the Chargers have half of that? Chris Chambers had 66 receptions for 970 yards and 4 touchdowns - and some of that came with Miami. But outside of Chambers the Chargers don't have any go-to receivers.... unless you count Antonio Gates. So tell me again how Welker is overrated and couldn't help this team. Really, I could use a laugh.

Vincent Jackson is totally inconsistent. Great one game, a case of the drops the next. The Chargers still only have 2 legit NFL starting receivers, and one of them is a TE. A.J.'s had how long to get the receiving corps together? His drafts at WR have been less than stellar.

Look, I want what (I hope) all of you want - A Super Bowl Championship for the Chargers. We may disagree with how this team can get there, and whether or not A.J. is making the right moves, but we all want the same thing.

I've just run out of patience after 30 years as a Bolt fan. Can you blame me?

(Also being a big Aztecs and Padres fan has led to some significant frustration as well... I do get testy at times.)

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    I understand how you feel, but let me ask you this:

How many times has AJ's picks been questioned only to turn out to be not only correct, but stellar? I for one ranted and raved about wasting a pick on Cromartie, a kid who played little in College and came out injured. AJ was right and I was wrong.

People drop loads because AJ gives up so much to get players he wants. So what? Look at our recent player turnover ratio. It is minute. We do not have places for tons of draftees. We do not lose players all that much.

I dont give a rat's hairless tail about what people say the day or week after the draft any longer. It is the season after or 3 seasons after that matters. AJ has proven to be the best GM the Chargers have had, and he deserves the benifit of our doubt. If you cant give that, it still good, so long as once mini camp starts you back the Botls, all Botls.

This is not the Chargers teams of the past, we will not slide back into a decade of mediocrity as teams have done in the past. This team is building for something special. Watch and see Bolt backers, watch and see!:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    There has been a BDA sighting.

:abq2::abq1::abq2:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,205

Mornig bro, hope the family is well. It is a great day to be alive, and be a Charger fan! I can smell the Lombardi!:abq2:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,205
    It smells like VICTORY!:abq1:

Which could be confused with thick slab, mapple bacon... ummmmm....

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Same to you. :tup:

I don't know, I'm pretty bummed out about the draft. We didn't find an OT to fill out that last practice squad slot. I'm not sure what the hell AJ was thinking. :lol:

2007 to 2008 Charger team

McCree and Florence - Cason and Tribble
    LoNeal and Turner - Hester and Thomas
    Olivea - Clark and Pape

Plus a year experience for Waters, Oliver, Weddle, Buster, and Legoland.
    Not to mention the addition of Parker back from injury.

If you're still sweating OT or if Pape/Clark are not NFL ready, you sign Oben to a one year $700,000 deal and he can back up both tackle postions.

This is the most talented and deep team in the NFL and yet people biatch because they think we were supposed to find 4 starters in this year's draft. The fact is that other teams will be like vultures hovering over Charger park this summer ready to fight for our cast-offs.

I wonder how much people will be complaining if we win the SB and Hester plays a role in us getting there. Do you think they will continue to whine about giving up next year's 2nd rounder and thus mortgaging our entire future.

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Did you have a stroke of something? :icon_shrug:

21. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Derwin is finally back.

:abq2::abq1::abq2:

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    can we wait until he does become a crappy GM before we run him out of town? AJ is a gambler in the draft. so far it has worked wonders (Rivers/Eli,Cro, McNeill, Weddle, et). Give the guy the benefit of the doubt will ya

Ok, I think you are the clueless one here, it was Spanos' call on first keeping Marty and then firing him late not AJ's, besides, since the Chargers made it to the AFC Championship game I think it came out pretty well don't you think?