1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The OFFICIAL Draft Day Thread!!!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Apr 26, 2008.

1. hoff529

hoff529 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +20
    Dude....Mel Kipper blows. I hate that guy. Jimmy Johnson jr. "My hair." All that dude does is analyze stats and put in his two cents. He just pretty much just sits up there and rambels on. :tdown:

2. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    What did we give up to move up to draft hester?

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I don't like trading with New England. Now we help them next year with a second round pick.

4. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    But we help us with the PERFECT complement to our RB group

Our second rounder will be somewhere in the high fifties so not much higher than the pick we got for Hester.

I love this pick

5. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    OK, who let Bobby Beathard back in the San Diego Draft Room? :no:

Trading away this year's #5 AND next year's #2 for a FULLBACK in the 3rd round? WTF??? :tdown:

Is A.J. on crack? Try to tell me this guy couldn't have been picked up in the 4th - and we could have gotten a high 4th for a 3rd next year and our 7th this year - a lot lower price.

That was a HORRIBLE deal, and it makes the Patriots better in 2010. Nice. We trade away our future to help the most hated team in the league.

I guess the Chargers are back to the, "We suck in the draft and are trading away our future," mode. Great. :censored:

6. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    And did you see the footage of Hester at the combine? He can't pass block and has terrible footwork when making cuts.

He may be a good North/South runner, but since his skills are so limited it seems like a 3rd was a HUGE reach for this guy - especially given the price the Chargers paid to get him.

If they had gotten him in the 5th I would have said, "Good pick," but since he cost a 2nd AND a 5th I've got to say that it was a HORRIBLE pick.

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You're a retard. Whoever you are.

8. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks!

Seriously, the Chargers just gave up a HUGE chunk of their future on a role player who may or may not pan out at all.

Just when the Chargers are going to need really good players to start filling holes (and there will be holes in 2009) they are going to be without their 2nd round pick.

Hester would have been there in the 4th or 5th round. His skills are too limited to use him as a legit fullback, so I can't see anyone else reaching higher than that to take him.

This WAS a Bobby Beathard-esque move. Trading away the future for someone with "potential" is a great way to ruin your franchise. Sure, it won't hurt them THIS year, but come 2009, 2010 you'll see the decline of the Chargers and wonder what the hell happened.

They need to stockpile draft picks for 2009 and 2010, not give them away for players that they could have gotten for far less.

9. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Let me think... AJ Smith, or some idiot on the internet with three posts bashing a pick that I personally LOVE (and I have actually watched about 75% of Hesters games the last two years)... Tough call...

Are you aware of COMPENSATORY PICKS? We will have an extra #3 and #4 next year. We had the ammo.

The Hester pick is the PERFECT compliment to what we already have and covers our asses if Pinnocks knee isn't 100%. Honestly, it gives me wood thinking about the packages that Norv is going to have for a talent like Hester. Those TERRIBLE screens to Lo Neal are a thing of the past. We actually have an athlete playing the position now.

It's a GREAT pick.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Official Bolttalk 2008 NFL Draft Thread

:icon_eek: :tup: :icon_toast:

11. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Did you see the footage of Hester trying to pass block? He looked HORRIBLE. He couldn't stop ME! (He's easy to juke and cut around.)

He's not fast enough to be a legit backup for LT, and he's not big enough or strong enough to be a solid blocker (run blocker or pass blocker), so what the hell does he bring that the Chargers don't already have in LT, Sproles, and Pinnock?

Again - he would have been there in the 4th and maybe the 5th round. This is Bobby Beathard revisited. Trading up, giving away a high future draft pick for a guy with, "Potential."

How did that work out the last time the Chargers went with that philosophy?

(Beathard was a great draft day GM once, too, and then he lost it. I hope that doesn't happen to A.J. - but this pick scares the hell out of me.)

I don't disagree with picking Hester in the draft - I DO disagree with giving away both this year's #5 AND next year's #2 for him. It wasn't necessary, and it's going to cripple the Chargers come draft day (there's a big difference between a 2nd round pick and a compensatory 4th round pick).

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I'll agree he has a terrible 'do :yes:

13. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    It's going to "CRIPPLE THE CHARGERS COME DRAFT DAY"????? :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Ok thanks for playing, I'm out. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :rolleyes2:

15. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't you think that the Chargers were, "Crippled" in this year's draft? Losing a 2nd round pick is going to SERIOUSLY hurt their ability to replace lost players next year. Instead of getting impact players they'll have to go with risky, "Project," players.

And, OK, maybe "Cripple" is a bit of hyperbole, but they ARE going to have their ability to maintain the level of this team HUGELY diminished next year, and that's when the drop off for this team will start. It may not be a precipitous drop, but the drop is coming. A.J. won't sign impact free agents, so when we start losing our current starters instead of a 2nd round pick we're looking at a 3rd or 4th?

That's why they need to STOCKPILE draft picks for 2009 and 2010, not trade them away - especially not the high round picks!

16. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's the point some people missed...

Did you see the footage of Hester trying to pass block? He looked HORRIBLE. He couldn't stop ME! (He's easy to juke and cut around.)

He's not fast enough to be a legit backup for LT, and he's not big enough or strong enough to be a solid blocker (run blocker or pass blocker), so what the hell does he bring that the Chargers don't already have in LT, Sproles, and Pinnock?

Again - he would have been there in the 4th and maybe the 5th round. This is Bobby Beathard revisited. Trading up, giving away a high future draft pick for a guy with, "Potential."

How did that work out the last time the Chargers went with that philosophy?

(Beathard was a great draft day GM once, too, and then he lost it. I hope that doesn't happen to A.J. - but this pick scares the hell out of me.)

I don't disagree with picking Hester in the draft - I DO disagree with giving away both this year's #5 AND next year's #2 for him. It wasn't necessary, and it's going to hurt the Chargers come draft day (there's a big difference between a 2nd round pick and a compensatory 4th round pick).

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    On behalf of BT posters everywhere, I wanna thank you for your efforts at educating us :icon_eek: :rolleyes2: :icon_rofl:

18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nah, spot on :icon_rofl:

19. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the Jr. Chargers fan board.

For all you kids that are too young to remember, the Chargers went through and entire decade of bad football because they gave away future high picks for guys like Mikhael Ricks. Beathard traded away the future of the team for guys with, "Potential."

Trading away this year's #5 and NEXT YEAR'S #2 is EXACTLY the kind of move that Beathard made.

We didn't have a #2 this year, won't have one next year, will have a LOW #1 - where are the picks to get top talent going to come from?

Seriously, you can laugh all you want, but you'll be *****ing in about 3 years when this team is struggling to reach .500. How long do you think LT can still play at this level? 2, MAYBE 3 more years? Then what? There will be a lot more needs than a starting running back by that point - and not enough high draft picks to replace them (and some of these replacements are going to need to be drafted now and in 2009 & 2010).

But I guess you guys are A.J. Smith Kool Aid drinkers and believe he can do no wrong... :rolleyes2:

20. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Seriously, does ANYONE here think that Hester was worth a 5th AND a 2nd?

Do any of you REALLY think that he wouldn't have been available a round or two later?

21. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I think you are missing the point that we GOT a high round pick by giving one up. We got the #69 pick in the draft. Barring unforeseen tragedy, that pick will be in the 60's. IMO it will be #64. The fifth would have been hard pressed to make this roster anyways, so I consider that expendable.

22. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    But don't you get that since A.J. refuses to sign impact free agents we're going to need a LOT more high round draft picks over the next 3 years, and we just traded one away for a guy who still would have been there in the 5th round?

We gave up more than he was worth. It's like going to a car dealer and offering them an extra ten grand over sticker price when you could have bought it for sticker price. They could have gotten him later - for less.

23. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    You come here and instantly start bashing the GM that has put together an ELITE roster and then wonder why you aren't being taken seriously. For whatever reason this pick motivated you to register to this forum and slam AJ for a pick that I personally LOVE.

Many thought we gave up way too much for Weddle last year, that he could have been had much later in the draft, but I don't see anyone still bashing that move after the year the kid had. You need to stop listening to Mel Kiper for your analysis and start watching games.

24. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

25. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

You're a fukin moron. Learn something about AJ, then go and learn something about the draft, and then you can come back and try to comprehend the meanings behind these picks. Until then, shut your trap:yes:

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I don't, there's been some discussion
    AJ's proven me wrong before but my issue is two fold
    1. He would've probably been there later and if not there's sitll good RBs on the market or soon to be in june
    2. We handed a second to our major rivals the Patriots

27. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    So, what - Hester's a great pick at ANY price, is that what you're all telling me?

Come on!

Did ANY of you follow the team during the Beathard years? HE got the team to a freaking Super Bowl, and then tore it apart with draft strategy like this. He went from genius to idiot. The same thing happened with the GM for the Cowboys in the late 70's and throughout the 80's - he made a lot of successful small school picks in the mid 70's, and then kept reaching for players in higher round than he had to and the team fell apart.

There is a long term price to pay for overreaching and overpaying (draft pick wise) for players in the draft.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    1. We haven't been picking people from Sam Houston State or Arkansas Pine-Bluff for a while now. So frankly that part is incorrect
    2. Hester, even if I have my doubts about him being a third round pick, is a good player from a well renowned university. This isn't a picking of UDFA with a third round
    3. While I complain about a second rounder being handed up, we didn't trade first rounders nor have we, and especially not for UDFAs in teh second round
    4. This team is a LONG way, even if Hester was a total reach and a dumb pick, from 'falling apart'

29. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I mean - He would have been there in the 4th and MAYBE even the 5th when the Chargers could have traded up for next to nothing.

AND they gave the Patriots an extra 2nd round pick next year. Like we need the Patriots to get any better.

(And their pickup of Kevin O'Connell's gonna help them long term, too. He either becomes the successor to Tom Brady or they trade him for a high draft pick package.)