1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The OFFICIAL Draft Day Thread!!!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    He hasn't seen any of the players play PERIOD which is why he has slipped that question the 10+ times it's been asked. He watched the combine and listened to Mel Kiper after the picks were made. That's how he scouts.

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Your are way older than me, biatch. :yes:

3. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    You're talking out of your *** even more - proclaiming these to be good moves before any of these guys has played a down in the NFL is even MORE ridiculous.

Most guys CAN'T make it in the NFL. Questioning these moves makes more sense than saying that they're great picks - especially when one of them leaves us with a big hole in next year's draft (just when we're going to need as many high draft picks as possible).

I just don't like A.J.'s draft this year. A reach into the 3rd round giving up next year's #2 to get it, a wasted pick in the 5th round when there are other areas of greater need - regardless of who A.J. picks in the 6th and 7th it's a disappointing draft.

4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    leisure is probably within the top 5 with respect to age. That's about the only category where he scores so high. :bolt:

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yah, that's what I meant.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I had no parents. I was raised by coyotes. :icon_eek:

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    In AJ we trust. :flag:

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I like Hester and am not complaining about the pick, but LT knows how to get into the end zone. Actually, he's been better at it than just about anyone in the history of the NFL. So, like I said, I like Hester, a lot, but I want to see some o-line BEEF!

9. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Trust no one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    You are truly a class act.

And you keep on drinking the A.J. Smith Kool-Aid. Jim Jones had nothing on this guy, apparently.

After watching the Chargers blow golden opportunities in 4 different decades I don't blindly trust anyone.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    AJ must not be worried too much about the offensive line situation. He's got to be happy with guys like Pape, and trusts that they'll provide the depth. Maybe he'll look at some of the guys who get cut later?

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    When it comes to stocking a football team, he has earned my trust. :yes:

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sorry bud, you have no way of knowing whether he would have been there in the fourth. Just because another FB went early in the 5th doesn't mean Hester wouldn't have gone much earlier.

14. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Why another CB?

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    6th round we got Dejuan Tribble DB Boston College

16. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    :lol: Yes we know. :lol:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    didn't see it posted

i just don't get this draft one bit, AJ has really confused me

18. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    What the hell. AJ what about the o-line. Why haven't you returned my calls.:lol:

19. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I surely don't get this last pick. Oh well. The last two picks have surprised me a little.

PS, You're right, it wasn't posted... These guys were too busy with their piss contest. :lol:

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,671
    We drafted a corner/safety in the supplemental draft
    We drafted a corner in the first
    we drafted a fullback/running back in the third
    we drafted a so-so running back in the fifth
    we drafted a corner/safety in the 6th who's stock has just plummeted since the end of the year

i just do not get it and I doubt half these players will still be on hte roster come september

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Where's the freakin' BEEF??? :unsure:

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I REALLY doubt that you're older than most posters here, or that you've been following the Chargers longer. We have many posters here that have been following the Chargers since the 60s. I've been following them since the mid 70s.

It's not about blind faith with AJ Smith. The guy has a pretty good track record so far. Sure, I wish we didn't give away a 2nd rounder next year, but I know Hester is a good player and I think AJ has earned the benefit of doubt.

I does absolutely no good to cry like chicken little about one draft move when the reality is, the Charger have what most consider the most talented roster in the NFL. AJ Smith had a large part in building that roster, so cut him a break and give this pick a chance to pan out.

And since you're such an "old timer", tell me this; what Chargers GM has done a better job than AJ Smith? Maybe you were a Harland Svare fan?

23. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Are you seriously saying that you think that 3 of these guys will be cut? :icon_huh:

24. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    WHERE'S THE BEEF??? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,671
    Thomas - perhaps (where does he fit in)
    Tribble - either him or Oliver
    Obviously Hester and Cason will be on the roster but who knows what rabbit AJ will pull out for his last pick. that would probably be #3 if its not from a position we actually need like, oh say, the offensive lien

26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Bob Leverone/SN

Overall grade: 6.0
    Position rank: 13
    Ball skills: 11
    Closing speed: 32
    Coverage/skills: 30
    Run support: 18
    Run/pass recognition: 23
    NFL comparison:
    Nathan Vasher, Bears

DEJUAN TRIBBLE MEASURABLES
    Height: 5-8 Weight: 196
    40-yard dash: 4.60 10-yard dash: 1.57
    20-yard shuttle: 4.19 60-yard shuttle:
    Broad jump: 9-8 225-lb. bench: 14
    3-cone drill: 6.86 Vertical jump: 34
    Wonderlic: 20-yard dash: 2.65

KEY ยป *
    DeJuan Tribble
    CB, Boston College
    War Room analysis
    Coverage skills: Is a natural, excelling in all types of coverage. Backpedals quickly in man-to-man coverage, transitioning and closing fast on passes in front of him. Flips hips to turn and run with receivers without losing a step. Stays on receiver's hip out of cuts, and uses hands to push receivers around a bit to throw off timing of routes. In zone, settles into his area and slides and adjusts to what he sees. Makes hard hits right after the catch. Grade: 8.0

Run/pass recognition: Shows good instincts, and consistently reads and reacts to plays correctly. Does not get fooled by pump fakes or fakes by receivers on routes. When in zone or "off" coverage, reads the quarterback well to close quickly and play the ball. Grade: 7.5

Closing speed: Shows an explosive closing burst to play the ball, and has the elite speed to stay with fast receivers downfield. When losing a step in coverage, has the burst and speed to catch up. Grade: 7.5

Ball skills: Reaches around receivers to break up passes without committing penalties. Flashes ability to cut underneath receivers to make tough interceptions. Must improve his hands and concentration; drops some easy interceptions. Grade: 7.5

Run support: Plays bigger than his size would suggest. Comes upfield quickly and aggressively to deliver a blow. Closes explosively and makes technically sound tackles, but does not do it consistently; tends to get overaggressive and lunge, missing tackles. Grade: 6.0

Bottom line: Tribble struggled at the Senior Bowl, falling out of the first round, and he must perform well at pre-draft workouts to even get drafted in Round 2. He probably will be drafted slightly later than where we have him rated because of his lack of height, but in time he will become a solid NFL starter and consistent playmaker.

27. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

Oliver will make the team if he's switching to safety, remember we don't have much left at safety.

We lost 2 DBs to FA, we picked up 2 DBs in the draft, so I don't really see any of them getting cut, unless we get a steal udfa.