1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Eli Manning Media-bashing Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Here's a cool article from the New York Post:

THERE'S NO 'BIG' IN THIS BLUE QB

November 21, 2006 -- JACKSONVILLE - That isn't Eli Manning we are watching. That can't be Eli Manning. It must be a cruel joke. Someone must have sneaked Dave Brown into the huddle and given him a No. 10 jersey.

What do we call him today? Eli Moaning? The Incredible Shrinking Quarterback?

On a night the Giants needed Manning to play big, he was the smallest Giant of them all.

If their quarterback is going to play like this, the Giants, disgraceful 26-10 losers to the Jaguars last night, might as well hand the division to the Cowboys.

Did the Giants run Tiki Barber (10-27) enough, during a game that was only 13-3 early in the third quarter? No, they did not. Did their franchise quarterback make enough plays? No, he did not. Did the franchise quarterback outplay Jaguars backup quarterback David Garrard? No, he did not. Did the franchise quarterback give the Giants any semblance of hope? No, he did not. Did Tom Coughlin lambaste his team at halftime, and again after the game? Yes he did.

Manning's offense right now can be labeled this way: Three yards and a cloud of bust.

Tony Romo saved the season for Bill Parcells, tied for first now with the Giants. Tom Coughlin doesn't have a Romo behind Manning. If his quarterback keeps going backwards, fuggeddabout the Super Bowl.

"I gotta start playing better football," Manning said.

No kidding. Egads! Manning (19-41, 230 yards, one TD, two INTs) is the leader of a helter-skelter operation right now, and remains fixated on Plaxico Burress. The quarterback has lost his poise, has no trace of swagger, looks lost too often. We've known all along he is not Peyton. His father Archie thought he could be Phil Simms. He does not throw the ball like Simms, not even close. Maybe he never will.

The first glaring example of how far Manning has fallen came late in the second quarter, after he had managed his first first down of the night, catching the Jags in a sellout blitz on third-and-18 from the 5 with a dumpoff to Brandon Jacobs that got 20 yards. On the next play, Manning was flushed out of the pocket to his right, Burress broke free near midfield. Manning underthrew him by three yards, and Deon Grant intercepted.

Then, in the third quarter came the no-huddle, and some life, some efficiency, some rhythm, at last, and a 25-yard TD pass thrown laterally to his left to Burress, who juked Brian Williams, then Gerald Sensabaugh, to cut the deficit to 13-10.

It was 16-10 now, later in the third. Manning, from his 20, heaved one high and far, inches too far, for Burress, who reached out with that long right arm and tipped the ball to himself. It was ruled a catch. And then it wasn't, following a Jaguar challenge, because Burress had lost possession on his way down. Burress fell backwards, landed flat on his back when the verdict came.

Undoubtedly because he knew Manning wasn't bringing his team back.

When Manning got the ball back, it was 23-10, with 12:25 left. Tim Carter was interfered with on a bomb downfield, except the zebras didn't see it. Now it was third-and-11 at the 48. Manning threw for Burress, for the 12th damn time. But threw it right to linebacker Clint Ingram, standing directly in front of Burress.

"I tried to move him a little with my eyes; desperate I guess," Manning said. "A bad play by me."

Manning needed to inspire his team, carry a depleted defense that didn't need to be on the field, get his team believing in him again the way a team needs to believe in its quarterback. He needed a big game to calm restless Giant fans who had been reading for two years about Big Ben Roethlisberger and now find themselves watching the sudden emergence of Philip Rivers.

Manning dressed alone, in silence, at his locker. "No, I'm not gonna lose confidence in myself," he said.

They see he cannot carry them. So they will now try to carry him. Good luck.

Barber: "We just need to execute better around him."

Burress: "We gotta help him out; it's not all him. We all gotta rally around him, support him."

Coughlin: "I don't think we do a lot to help him get started. He's looking for somebody to help make something happen."

He should be the one. Franchise quarterback in trouble, franchise in trouble.

:icon_mrgreen:

• Like Like x 2
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,057
    and the Giiants paid dearly for his rites!!!!!!! :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

I hope they are still happy with him,

Maybe his daddy can help him after he is done making those ESPN
    commercials

hey Eli, dont go Ryan Leaf on us, you are better than that

Hey Eli, do you still do not want to play for us? :icon_rofl:

3. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Eli you suck beotch!!!

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm sure matilack feels bad for Eli.

• Like Like x 1
  5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49

my sentiments exactly

6. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    :icon_rofl:

Hey someone has to help bring out the "nurturing" side of this board...

Poor Eli...poor, poor Eli...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680

8. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Now we know why Eli didn't want to play for us: he's no good.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,885
    ohhhh that was sweet sweet vengenance
    Karma and Payback's a BEYATCH!

• Like Like x 1
  10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Philip will have it

Big Ben has it already

Eli won't get it

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You wanted New York... you got it. Enjoy the bottom, biatch!

• Like Like x 1
  12. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    BOLTDIEHARD photo at the bottom of rivers is classic. In the article it said Eli has no "swagger"..... well, that's not a problem with Rivers. This guy is such a nice, "aw, shucks" type of guy off the field in interviews, but he sure can bring the smack on the field.

:icon_banana:

13. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

My side hurts ............ :icon_banana:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I know I already posted this in another thread, but...
    [​IMG]

Little prick deserves it.

15. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Manning sucks... sooo bad.

Look he has had 3 years. So far there has been very little progress. Hell Ben Rottenburger is half retarted and had so many injuries I am suprised he can stand. However he is again improving and given a year will AGAIN be a better QB than Manning.

Now what is Eric.. I mean Eli Mannings excuse.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Good. Couldn't have happened to a bigger douchebag. IMO he deserves absolutely NO SYMPATHY for his awful play. Little brother Eli Manning, along with his mommy, and daddy, and brother, all wanted the big, bright lights of NY city. Well now you've got it junior. Enjoy.

DIE ELI, and thank you for turning don the opportunity to play in San Diego. We can't thank you enough for being a fuggin' selfish prick.

God Bless AJ and the raping he gave to the G-men.

Rivers/Kaeding/Merriman/Oben for Eli. Most lopsided trade in the history of profesional sports.

17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Wallace Matthews - NewsDay

Maybe this is as good as Eli gets

November 29, 2006
    In the three seasons since the Giants traded away their future in order to rewrite their GM's past, we have seen Ben Roethlisberger win a Super Bowl, Philip Rivers develop into a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback, Tony Romo throw five touchdown passes in a game and Vince Young play like a seasoned veteran after only five pro starts.

Either those guys are ahead of schedule or Eli Manning is way, way behind.

In an era in which the learning curve for quarterbacks seems to be accelerated, Manning's career is stuck decidedly in neutral and may be slipping into reverse.

He is the one who was born and bred to be a quarterback. He is the one with the pedigree. He is the one whose father would have been great and whose brother has been for a long time. Roethlisberger, Rivers and even Young were gambles, but Eli Manning, Archie's kid and Peyton's brother, couldn't miss.

Except so far, he has.

He was expected to develop into one of the best quarterbacks in the game, but now, three years and 34 starts into his pro career, it always feels as if Eli Manning is the second-best quarterback on the field.

Why?

This week, there was no shortage of scapegoats in the Giants' locker room to deflect attention from what is becoming an elephant in the room. The quarterback around whom they expected to build a franchise is instead helping to drag it down.

The Giants traded Rivers along with three other draft picks - one of whom became star linebacker Shawne Merriman - to get Manning. We were told this would be a franchise-changing move, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, the kind of bold pick with which a GM could cement his legacy and a team could secure its future.

Judging by Manning's current performance, so much for outgoing GM Ernie Accorsi's legacy and so long to the Giants' future.

It is one thing to be outplayed by big brother Peyton, quite another to be owned by the Rex Grossmans and David Garrards of the league. And when Vince Young reminds you of everything you once expected to see in Manning, it is time to start worrying.

It makes you wonder what Accorsi saw in Manning aside from the name, and his own bitter history. Somehow, he convinced himself that to let Manning slip away would be repeating the heartbreak of allowing John Elway to strong-arm the Baltimore Colts when Accorsi was their GM in 1983.

By throwing draft picks at the Chargers to get Manning, Accorsi thought he was correcting a mistake that had haunted him for more than 20 years. Instead, it looks as if he has only compounded it.

You will have to wait awhile for the official explanation, because right now, Accorsi is not talking about Eli Manning. He wouldn't come to the phone yesterday to answer the most basic question there is regarding Eli, which is, "When exactly will he get here?"

The answer, of course, is long after Accorsi is gone. If ever.

And it's not as if he hasn't been surrounded by a strong supporting cast. This isn't Archie Manning, soldiering on with a succession of miserable Saints teams, or Peyton Manning, being asked to rescue a woeful Colts squad, or even Phil Simms, whose leading receiver his rookie year, Earnest Gray, had all of 28 catches.

Eli's got Tiki Barber, one of the best all-purpose backs in the league, and Jeremy Shockey, a stud when healthy, and Plaxico Burress, whose astonishing athleticism has saved Manning numerous times this year, at least in those moments when Burress feels like playing. The loss of tackle Luke Petitgout, Manning's blindside protector, hasn't helped, but still Manning has been sacked just 20 times in 11 games.

Really, there is no outside excuse for Manning's lack of production. He has no one to blame but himself for constantly throwing behind receivers, or forgetting Shockey is even on the team until three quarters of the game have dribbled away, or flipping the ball blindly into double and triple coverage, as he did at the end of the Giants' 24-21 loss to the Titans. Defensive backs seem to read him a lot more easily than he reads them.

And yet, in a way that monumental collapse was the best thing that could have happened to Eli Manning. By the time we all got done blaming Burress, blaming Tom Coughlin, blaming and absolving Mathias Kiwanuka, it was easy to overlook the frightening realization that, even allowing him a slow learning curve, Eli is not gradually getting better, but progressively worse.

For three years now, the Giants have been assuring us, "Eli's coming."

But that raises another, even more disturbing question.

What if he's already arrived?

18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    fuc sheli. fuc all the mannings. if i saw sheli and osama walkin down the street i would punch sheli first. peaz

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,885
    Revenge is sweet
    The Giants tears of disgust are like a rare wine to me

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Eli Manning hs the most wins by any quarterback in his first 35 games guys! Sure Rivers is doing good but come on I have two words for you Ladanion Tomlinson! If you're judging Eli already I sure hope you don't own any stocks because you'd be selling off good stocks due every slight underperformance.....

Think I'm an idiot yet? Don't. those are all things said on the Giants board. There are a ton of Eli haters there now. But about 3 weeks ago it was divided around 60-40 pro Eli and now it's like 80-20 against. That was very fast if you ask me. Anyway the excuses that some fans have come up with are funny. But it seems like now they have pretty much turned on him.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,885

Hatred for us here is for the reasonable decision that Manning made to insult hte city and the organization and its fans. NY sports fans are insanely fickle, I know that very well, and that more are turning on him is nice to me but it doesn't matter. Here he will forever be hated for any reason and that he sucks makes it all the sweeter

22. benjamink15

benjamink15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Hahahahahahahahahhahah

23. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't see how, when Ben Roethlisberger won so many his first two seasons. Do you have a link for that statement?

24. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    That can't be right. Didn't Eli lose his first 5 or 6 games or something like that? :icon_shrug:

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Eli has Tiki, who has been very productive for him. He has Plax who catches all of the jump balls that Eli throws up for grabs.

The problem with Eli is that he's very inconsistent. He makes big mistakes at the wrong time. He's inaccurate, something that's always been a problem for him. And he's not a leader. The reason he's so heavily criticized for these shortcomings is that he does not seem to be improving.

BTW, I don't know where you got your stat about Eli having the most wins by a QB in his first 35 starts, but it's inaccurate. Eli has 18 career wins in 35 career starts. Tom Brady was 23-12 in his first 35 starts. Big Ben had 26 wins in his first two seasons. Philip Rivers already has 10 wins in 12 career starts.

Eli is ranked 23rd in passer rating this year at 76.0, and for his career he has a rating of 72.3, completing only 53.8% of his passes.
    Those are not franchise QB numbers. Hell, they aren't John Kitna numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    It's not correct. Both Ben and Tom Brady had more. Eli was 18-17 in his first 35 starts. Hardly earth shattering. I'm sure there are others who have done better.

PR is 10-2 as a starter.

27. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Freaking classic .......

[​IMG]

28. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    He'll be 10-2 after this week.

You might be thinking of the KC game to close out 2004, but Flutie started that game, and PR came in later.

29. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    dont spell your man's name wrong. and where did you get this 35 games "stat"?