1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The official "heads will roll" topic.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IFiredCHart, Jan 17, 2010.

1. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I am not saddened by this, as we have the groundwork to be competitive for years. However, progress must be made on an annual basis, and "heads will roll" in order to ensure we have the same opportunities next year.

This topic is to discuss whose jobs are in jeopardy as a result of our latest debacle. Anyone pertinent to the team, be it offense, defense, special teams, or sidelines.

Take it away!

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    If Marty Schottenheimer got in this much trouble that he got fired after he blew it in the playoffs like this, norv deserves to be seriously looked at to be fired

Three straight playoff years where Kaeding can't kick average field goals. I'm sorry but that's the end of hte line

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    THis is BS!!!!!!! WTF!!!!:no::no::no: Ill swear its like norv and nate got bribed to throw the game!

4. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    My list:

Nate Kaeding is a lock, in my opinion, my only question at this point is if a young, accurate place kicker has any trade value. You cannot come up THAT empty and be safe on this team.

Norv Turner showed an inability to control the discipline of this team, and that is a direct reflection of coaching. I am not sure about if I want him to be canned, but I will say this much, he should be looked at.

Tomlinson was deadweight, as much as it pains me to say it, and if he does come back, it is as a short-yardage back, nothing more.

5. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    He can't seem to get that either!

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yep, I've been saying it all year, LT is arguably the worst starting RB in the entire NFL and stats back that up.

Those of you around here who think Rivers can win a Super Bowl all by himself and put up a 130+ QB rating every week are diluding yourselves.

7. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

This is a joke right? I mean seriously? Marty couldn't win games in the playoffs atleast Norv has a couple of wins in the playoffs. Norv pulled this team back together after we were in the dumps at 2-3. Norv isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately as sad as it is to say I think LT will try and go win somewhere else and Shawne Merriman will be gone as well.

Nate is statistically one of the best kickers in the history of the NFL. And only because of that IMO he will be back. We all know he has struggled in the playoffs but in the Reg season he is automatic.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah as much as I hate Norv, Marty was fired because he tried to turn our coaching staff into a family business by hiring all his relatives. Both cooridnators and all our coaches left for bigger job titles, and Marty was a lame duck coach who had proven he couldn't control his team in big games.

9. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    We have probably seen LT in a Chargers jersey for the last time imo, it pains me to say.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555

Wouldn't mind seeing him with a headset on coaching next years RB stable though.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I will repost from the gameday thread.

There is no way Nate can stay with the team. He may make every kick during the season, but we can’t trust his mental state during playoff games! We should consider him a “head case” and let him go. It make me sad to say so, but I don’t see a future for Nate on this team.

12. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    yep me too.

Im so disappointed in particular for yourself Matilack,Conc b4l and all the other regular die hard fans on this board, jesus. I feel it, I would imagine you guys are all gutted big time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Norv had a fine game plan. This all rests on Nate.

14. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I have to disagree I just don't see anything better options. Nate is a great FG kicker bottom line. I agree as will everyone else that Nate is junk in the playoffs but you just don't cut a guy like Kaeding unless you have a someone that is a can't miss kicker. I mean seriously? I remember when Mike Nugent was the last "super kicker" and he sucked nuts.

Kaeding will be back IMO.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Norv can't be responsible for all 52 adults in Charger uniforms and call plays at the same time. This isn't college football.

At the same time I think he had some horribly timed play calls including sensless runs up the middle and long passing plays that were collapsed by the fast pass rush.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I was mad at about the middle of the 4th quarter when I knew we were gonna lose, because we always lose games like this.

I've calmed down quite a bit, Its my wife thats taking it the hardest right now.

17. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    The problem is, we now can not count on Nate in ANY playoff game! That changes the teams game plan big time. Do winning teams allow for this? No Way...everyone has to be counted on in the playoffs! No exceptions. If we keep Nate, I hope he proves me wrong...but if it was my team, I would cut my losses. It should be a priority of the team to find a new kicker!

18. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    It still rests on the coach to keep discipline. When discipline falls apart, the coach needs to be held accountable...and the playcalling was a little bit too run-oriented for my liking.

19. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    Heads should roll after this game. It's the same old **** that's gone down the past couple of years, except now we don't have any excuses. We need to change up a lot of things on our team.

20. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    What else? I am just curious, for I agree, but I cannot put a name on it.

21. DenverBolt

DenverBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    This game proved more than anything we need a running game to take the pressure off Rivers. Jets just blitzed the whole game knowing we couldn't run. LT was a joke.

22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Either that or we need an even better pass game. If the colts can do it I we can. We should resign VJ and then get brandon marshall and try to put together a 2007 patriots type blowout offense so we don't get in close playoff situations where nate can miss!

23. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I tend to agree...if it was only one player, then the player is to blame and should be held accountable. There were too many undisciplined plays/penalties to not look at the management of the team. It is always the management’s responsibility on how the team performs...in sports, or real life jobs like most of us have.

24. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    My issues in this game are with the players and the stupid 15 yard penalties and all of the stupid false starts and delat of game to start off putting us in a 3rd and long.

The other was with Norv's play calling at the end of the 1st half. Two minutes left give or take a bit and 3rd and 5 and he runs in up the middle to give the ball back to the Jets. Granted they didn't score but you know they are getting the ball first in the second half. Why even entertain the thought of them possibly scoring or at least get some sort of momentun going into halftime? We have an excellent 2 minute history of scoring and he basically just handed the ball over. :icon_shrug:

25. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    LT and Kaeding both choke in the big playoff games... has LT E-V-E-R had a big 100 yard game with TDs in the playoffs? These two need to be shown the door. Draft or bring in a free agent RB and sign K Nick Folk formerly of the Cowgirls.

LT and Kaeding they come up empty every playoff game... as a empty as a candy bowl at a fat farm. They just aren't "Money" players.

What do you do with Norv Turner? Other than running LT up the middle he called a good game... and the "D" played good enough to win...

Yep it all falls on Kaeding's shoulders... you've got to put him into the category of "head case" "choke artist" or "perennial loser"... in the same category as that goofy kicker from the Colts that Peyton called out... what's his name? Vanderjack?

26. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    ^ Nick Folk ... really? I'd take a kicker who only chokes horribly in the playoffs over a kicker who just chokes horribly no matter what.

27. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Yes.

28. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Heads will indeed roll, but probably only Nate's. Norv's could but I see AJ Smith securing a better defensive mind or another offensive guru before we ever even hear of Norv being looked at. Anyone want to see Ron Rivera take the role? LT's HEAD isn't gonna roll, just his wheels. They'll just cut ties and move on. Should have drafted LeSean McCoy...

Blaming Norv for the stupid penalties doesn't hold weight IMO. I've always known Jackson was an "A-hole" and took heat for saying it. He just made it more clear to me today. The game itself was really physical and Shaun Philips channeled his inner-Drayton Florence on that one.

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Tooo bad 1/3 of the plays norv called were runs up the middle for little or no gain...

30. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    what about either stover or vineteiri. The colts can't possibly keep both all of next year too!