1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The official PFT draft grades

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 29, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    The official PFT draft grades

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
    The NFL draft always comes in like a mountain lion on HGH and goes out like a comatose lamb. Now that all the names have been called and the teams are scrambling for training-camp tackling dummies, it’s time to hand out official grades.
    And, as usual, we give every team the same grade: Incomplete.
    It’s too early to know how any of these teams have done, because no one has any idea how any of these players will perform until they step onto an NFL field and face competition significantly greater than anything they ever have faced before. Some will slam against a ceiling that no one knew existed between their abilities in college and in the NFL. Others will surpass even the wildest hopes or expectations that anyone currently could have of them.
    Some will seemingly do a deal with the devil, going from widely-overlooked 199th overall pick to one of the best to ever play his position.
    Even though there’s no way of knowing what will happen, that doesn’t stop people from pretending to know, all in the hopes of satiating the public’s unquenchable thirst for reasons to be optimistic that their favorite teams could possibly find a way this year to navigate through their schedule and make it to the playoffs. And given the multiple recent examples of teams turning a skin-of-their-teeth postseason berth into a Super Bowl win, there’s never been a better time to sell hope.
    When it comes to selling hope, however, it’s important to be realistic. And anyone who pretends to know how these players will translate to the NFL in light of decades of history proving that it’s a crapshoot simply isn’t being realistic.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This may be the smartest, most insightful post to ever come from PFT. ;)

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't even care, Bengals get an A+ in my eyes.. there players are gonna pan out under Marvin Lewis and so is Vontaze Burfict. Marvin Lewis loves the players with a high ceiling that constantly get in trouble.

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Vontaze Burfict was an undisciplined POS at ASU.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Easy Doug - plenty of those types have succeeded in the NFL after "studying" at Miami. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    No this dude was even below Miami standards. :poop:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Looking at most of the "draft grades" that get given out, it's hard to even tell what it is that's being graded. Is the writer grading the quality/quantity of the players the team drafted? Is the writer grading how well the team filled need areas? Is the writer grading how many starters the team got? Is the writer grading the quality of the players relative to the remaining picks on the board?

Each of those standards would result in a completely different grade from the others, without telling us anything useful. I definitely agree with the article, it's not possible to grade this draft, at the earliest, until they play.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Not to be overly picky, but "incomplete" isn't really a grade. ;)

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    "To be determined" should be the correct grade incomplete sounds like nobody finished drafting in the draft

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The post was insightful for PFT. The title? I'll give you that, although it seems I received an incomplete or 2 as grades back in my school daze.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    grades for classes in U.S. school systems are A,B,C,D,F, incomplete, or pass.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733