1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Official Superbowl XLIV Thread - Indianapolis Colts vs New Orleans Saints

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Brundlefly, Feb 7, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    If Drew Brees looked half as good as he does as a Saint he never would have left San Diego

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    L.T. must be so pissed off watching Drew as a champion.

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Please I am so sick and tired of all the talk of this Super Bowl for the Saints is all about the New Orleans Katrinas instead of the New Orleans Saints. I am with you Ray.

I am as well Sick and Tired of the Talk about Brees being the throw away, no one wanted QB that finally landed in Louisiana.

BTW!!!!! Congratulations New Orleans Saints you earned the Lombardi Trophy. :tup:

4. chatnins

chatnins BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool shot with Brees and his kid

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    things happen for a reason. Chargers have to clean up their act. Got the best players. '

congrats breezer and new orleans. You played tight football. Great story.:yes:

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Amen

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Didn't he have a standout year in 2006?!

8. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    What a fantastic game! The end was intense!
    As I'm only 17, I have the right to say that is the best SB I have ever seen played, or, at least that I remember seeing. (The farthest back I can remember is Ravens vs....I don't even remember who they played.... Game I have full memory of though is Pats v Carolina. Anything before that is hazy.)

So yeah, congrats to Brees and to the Saints! They earned the Lombardi!

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Awesome

Drew gets his ring and the Colts fans are pissed. :yes:

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    We must have been watching different teams in 2004 and 2005.

Drew left San Diego because he had a potential career ending injury and the Chargers had insurance behind him.

Perhaps what you meant to say was if he looked half as good in 2003 when the Chargers panicked and drafted another QB in the first round because of one bad year.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    I knew that would make you happy. Just be ready for those Colts fans to counter with "well, your team let Brees go" BS.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Let them.

Anyone who thinks that move was a mistake is an utter retard and I'm always happy to point out someone's mental deficiencies. :yes:

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Katrina? No. Even the Saints players wanted this for the City & not themselves. Every one of them. That's why I wanted the Saints to win. That city needs EVERY positive outcome it can get.

As for Brees & all that BS. A lot of people forget that he FAILED a physical at Miami. That's how the Saints got him.

Rivers is THE MAN and always will be.

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Agreed 100%.

15. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Last years game was more exciting.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    I actually agree.

That one went down to the final play.

This one was just a better outcome.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Congratulations to the Saint's team for winning the Super Bowl, great team win.:icon_toast:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    yeah when he wasn't a charger

he looked better in 04 but regressed a bit in 05. I also meant that we wouldn't have drafted Rivers if Brees hadn't stunk so much - while I agree it wasn't entirely his fault he did nothing to suggest he was capable of doing anything.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Right. The Chargers jumped the gun in the 2004 draft after one bad year. (Drew didn't look too bad in his first year starting in 2002)

I don't fault them for their decision after the fact of going with Rivers, but there wasn't much Drew could do behind that horrible OL in 2003.

That's not meant as an excuse, he made some bad decisions on top of it, but it was still just one year.

I liked what I saw with Drew even despite that in 2003 and I liked what I saw with him when the next decision came upon us.

Drafting another QB wasn't necessary, but since we did and since it was Rivers we (for all intents and purposes) drafted we couldn't have gone wrong with the next decision.

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    There is no way anyone can think Brees would've or could have lead the Charger's to a Super Bowl. The Saint's play a solid game all the way around, Brees didn't win that game as much as he didn't lose it. He played smart and didn't cough it up, Manning blew it and tried to force it and look what happened.

21. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    we didn't jump the gun...and I was all for Brees even thinking he would bounce back after the awful 2003 season...

When you have the #1 pick in a QB draft class like that....you better get one unless you already got a stud QB in his prime (and rings be damned I still think we got the best of the 3 in that class).....Brees looked like he might be a solid QB in his better moments...but the guy never looked like he was on his way to becoming the stud QB he has since become.

And while you're partly right Hexed, it is a team effort... but come on now...Brees played great...better than Manning and they would not have won that game with many other QB's...Brunell wouldn't have pulled it off. Brees did a helluva lot more than not lose that game.

22. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +292
    WHO DAT!? Awesome game, we went to the lounge at Montana's and it was filled with Colts fans, my friend and I were 2 out of the 3 Saints fans in there, and there was this really, really, REALLY obnoxious loud Asian guy sitting at the table beside us and he yelled after every single play. He even said he hated the Colts and didn't care but he bet money on them so he was a fan. But anyways, early on the Colts fans were all loud and obnoxious so me and Derek took it upon ourselves to make up for their numbers and be extremely obnoxious ourselves. We were yelling "Who dat?" and clapping obnoxiously loud after every play that went the Saints way and shut up all of those Colts fans hahaha. It was awesome.

It's really awesome that the Saints won, but I think the real winner here is me because I started the Official Superbowl Thread!! :lol::icon_banana:

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,601
    I do agree on most points; I backed drew in 2003 prior to drafting rivers on the same ground (he had nothing to work with) and felt to some extent like you did that we jumped the gun.

However

Even when I backed Brees I NEVER EVER EVER thought he'd look as good as he did these last few years. He went to a system tailor made for him where he could throw a ton and it led to some amazing results. In 04/05 he was a caretaker who was not asked to do much and was not the team leader (LT was). Few people, even those who supported him, thought he could lead, he could be amazing and he could become a top 5 QB. He made poor decisions at crucial points, he didn't throw good deep balls, he couldn't be effective when asked to run the show, etc. I didn't think he could take over games or be as dominant or the leader that Rivers has become.

He transformed drastically since going to New Orleans.

I'm happy for him but I don't see this whole "AJ's such a dumbass for getting rid of Brees" as anything but moronic grumblings from fans who forget their own history.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    what folks don't realize, It might have been Rivers traded for picks if Brees hadn't gotten hurt. No one knew Drew would ever be able to throw again from that injury. The chargers for some reason are cursed. Why I don't know. Spanos probalby did something evil at one time to cause this terrible bad luck.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think it's nice that a Manning finally delivered a Lombardi to the New Orleans Saints. :lol:

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I wish we had Hartley. :icon_evil:

27. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I wish we had Sean Payton

:icon_evil:

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I can't say either QB played great, Brees didn't make any costly error's, he managed this game perfectly. It is what it is, The Saint's played one heck of a good game in all departments. Brees didn't have to try and play over his head, their running game was effective and Brees wasn't forced into a shootout with Manning.

Sean Payton is a great HC I'll give you that. To come out in the second half and pull an onside kick was fantastic. Saint's defense played well and shut down the Colt's when they had to. Oh not to mention the Saint's place kicker made all of his kick's, I wonder what that feel's like. :unsure: :icon_shrug:

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Not sure how you say Brees didn't have a great game. He completed all but three of his final 32 passes, and of the three incompletions, one was a spike and another was a dropped pass. 29 of your last 30 (minus the spike and drop) in the biggest game of your life is pretty great in my opinion.

30. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Maybe it wasn't as great a game as you would think when you hear he set a Superbowl record for completions and his team won by 2 TD's...but it was a great game.

32-39, 2 TD 0 INT, 114.5 QB rating

Maybe he didn't have many big gains or deep balls, but by just about any standard it was a great game and not many Superbowl QB's have put up a better rating. Saying he simply managed the game and didn't lose it is nonsense....it's not like he was simply on a great team and didn't screw it up....the Saints were great because of Brees more than anything else...He is the MVP of that team and he was rightfully without a doubt the MVP of that game.