1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

THE OFFICIAL : WHY YOU BECAME A CHARGERS FAN THREAD !

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Time for a change-up thread..........

So everyone has a story as to how they became a Chargers fan. My barber from New York is a Chargers fan. His story is a simple one of a Christmas gift which was a Chargers jacket while living in the Bronx given by his uncle. He has memorabilia all over his barber shop on Grand Ave. in Lake Elsinore. He hates the Jets and Giants - go figure.

I was born here so my story is easy to tell. My first game was in 1965 at the old Balboa stadium. Seeing Lance Alworth and crew was something I will never forget. The early 70's were not good times to be a Chargers fan. Aging washed up vets were on our team - Deacon Jones, Johnny Unitas and then there was Harland Svare. I did not watch the games then nor did I attend with Harland around. Even with Tommy Prothro rebuilding the team, I did not care one bit.

It was Coach Coryell who resurrected my fandom. I used to go to the SDSU games to watch Coryell and Brian Sipe (Browns QB) just chuck the living hell out of the ball. I used to go to college there as well. Most of the time we were chasing chicks in the stands and had plastic milk jugs filled with jungle juice which we sneaked into the games. Ahhh yes the good old days indeed.

When the Bolts hired Coach Coryell in 1977/78 - life was good - no check that - it was great. Our school had just performed in a field show a few years earlier for a Chargers / Raiders game where our horn section got to show off our skills. Anyway, one of the section trumpeters dared me (translates into a beer bet) to take my horn and play "charge" around the stadium so I did. The birth of Trumpet man (circa mid 70's) was in full swing. :helm1:

Those who have attended the tailgaters know about getting on TV regularly and the carne of the gods and how to have the best time of their life without getting naked (except when I accidentially asked to see B4L's moms breasts) ... oooppsss... it was my beads...anyway

What is your story ?

... and trust me any story will do especially with the forum imploding. :) :helm1:

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    I became a fan because I like beef and you are my hero.

Pointy :bolt: :p

3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The Bronx....good place, I was born there.

At 6 years old growing up in NY my parents use to get their gas at Sunoco gas station, they gave out a book/magazine that had every football team in it. So every time you filled up with gas they gave you a packet that contained 2-3 players and the Bolts was the first team that I filled up. Thirty eight years later I am still loyal to them. Not presently happy buy loyal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I started watching football at 7 years old (1979) living in the area (Tijuana) naturally chose the Chargers as our team (the whole family), we where initiated quickly into Chargers fandom with a 14-17, five interception loss to the oilers in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I was born into a Charger fan household. Grew up in San Diego, and had a lot of interactions with players and coaches. In 1984 I really started paying attention to football, although I remember many games prior to that time. Their uniform feels like home to me, it's familiar, and iconic, and can't be replaced.

My father abandoned ship after supporting this team for 30 plus years, now he just hates all sports and hopes they all die.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Seeing junior seau and leslie o'neal in person and really liking what i saw. Not to mention i grew up here, I'm a fan of my hometown

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Became a fan in 1999 watching the chargers play at Raiders. We beat them 28-9. I was like wow this team is good. I had no previous history of wacthing football. So at the time I thought we were going to win the SB. Bad times those were until the 2001 NFL draft.

• Like Like x 1
  8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Born and bred.

9. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I too was born into a Chargers home. Talks of Balboa stadium and the best team my dad has ever seen play were all I heard when it came to football. I remember going to many Charger games when I was young, dealign with horrible teams and Jack Murphy being filled with opposing teams fans. The raiders, John Elway, Joe Montana with the Chiefs but the ballers of Stan the man Humphries and Natrone Means. Ronnie Harmon the 3rd down go-to and Bobby Ross spitting. This era set the tone for me as a Charger fan and we werent even that good outside of 95'. But they played hard and Stan Humphries would die before he gave up!

Go Bolts!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I was born and raised in San Diego, but wasn't really a football fan. In 2000, when I was in the Navy, a few guys I worked with told me they were getting season ticket to the Bolts, and asked if I wanted to join. I said yes. After that 1st year with tickets, even though the team went 1-15, I had such a great time going to the games, that I renewed my tickets for 8 more years until I moved out of SD this past summer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Born and Raised here. Grew up going to the games with my mom (she still goes to every home game). The only season I missed was during Desert Storm (sitting in the desert missing home and football). It been a roller coaster ride, but hopefully before I die we will get a Lombardi.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Fouts, Coryell, Joiner, Chandler, JJ, Winslow, Muncie, L.Train, Kelcher, Dean, Byrd, BR Smith.

They were exciting to watch and always on TV.

I practiced one-handed catches.

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

This.

14. Lifer

Lifer BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I was born in SD into a Chargers household (late 70's). My parents were huge Chargers fans and they were the ones who introduced me to football, so naturally, they taught me about Chargers football... My father was in the Navy, so we moved around often and the one constant in my life, besides my immediate family, was San Diego sports... the Padres, Sockers and Chargers. Wherever we lived, I followed my teams and still do to this day.

No matter what happens this season (or any other season for that matter), I will forever be a Chargers fan! :D

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    My family moved to SD in 91 and it was the first time I lived in a city that had a sports team. I moved there from Colorado where the only thing I knew about football was my hatred for the Broncos and all things associated with them. I made some friends who were into the Chargers and I started to follow, which got pretty cool when they were playing well. I eventually got my Dad to start going to games with me and over years I dragged my entire family into getting season tickets. I moved to SF in '94 which really sucked being the only Chargers fan around that season. I try to get to as many games as I can each year, but really depends on a bunch of different factors. I don't think I have missed opening day for 15 seasons or so by now.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This.

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Born in Pasadena, raised in Glendora\Azusa, loved to watch football in the late 70's, didnt have a favorite team although I did gravitate a little to the Rams. Met my best friend at age 8, his dad was a Navy Pilot who had spent a long time living in San Diego. Had season tickets since the late 60's. My first pro football game I ever went to was in SD, in 1981 sitting in my buddies season tickets, 45 yard line 15th row in the field section on the Chargers side. I had never been that close to a pro game before. Fell in love with football that day, and fell in love with the Chargers that day as well. They played Denver that day and Chuck Muncie scored 4 touchdowns. Fouts was slinging the ball around. Defense was playing solid. Just couldnt imagine anything better. Cried when we lost to Cincinnati in -50 degrees. Went crazy when Stoyanivich missed the field goal right so we could go into Pittsburgh and beat them down in 1994. Shed a tear when LT broke the TD record and he was celebrating with the team. Good times. Lets hope we have more in the future.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    My uncle was a Chargers fan. I don't know how old I was, but when I was young we used to visit their house in SD (at the time I lived in the IV) from time to time. He had the best hat ever, a royal blue hat w/ yellow bill with 2 bolts on the crown that mimicked the Air Coryell era helmets. I f*cking loved that cap and tried to steal it on several occassions. Eventually, my parents got me my own hat and the rest is history.

representing in the 3rd grade:
    [​IMG]

19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I became a fan in 1979. I hated the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I watched the Chargers beat them. The Chargers were an exciting team to watch and I loved them smacking the Steelers. From that day forward I was a fan. Growing up in Michigan, I was kind of unique picking the Chargers as my team.

20. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Born and raised in San Diego. Started paying attention to the Chargers beyond just the score in 1975. Coryell came along shortly thereafter, and I was hooked forever.

21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    OK well its about to get windy in here...

My NFL love began with the Steve young 49er era in swing. I was prob well if it was 95 lets say, I was 13. In my small 62 total graduating class school we had a SF transplant superfan join our class. He was 100% all about the 9ers, had the big poofy jacket and all the jerseys. Anyway to shorten this up, everyone seemed to like this football. I never cared about organized sports at all up till then but I jumped on the wagon you could say to stay hip. That and I have always HATED Missouri Sports teams(especially KC). I was a SanJose Sharks fan purely b/c after fooball, I felt like I had to have a favorite team for major sports. Rusty Wallace, Sharks, 9ers, and I Still hate baseball, but I went Yankees.

Any way years go by I dont really pay attention to anything sports close enuff to even be recognized as a fan. And then came NFL gameday 98 on PS1. I also *not till madden03* never played any sports games. Well Hot shots Golf *also the reason I came around to liking/playing golf* but thats another story. Soo I actualy got into watching football around 99-2001, and eventualy played a Madden game and heard from my KC fan about this guy named LT. I started looking into this LT... The nickname did sound familar... Turns our he even then was already being considerd one of THE best backs in the NFL. SO after Madden and NFL viewing actual whole games, I went to the console and asked myself if there was a team with a cooler Logo, I told myself after realizing taht nothing was cooler than a lightning bolt that I was done lookin for my NFL team.

So been bleeding bolts since 04. Also ironic how I got on board right after one of the worst season of recent chargers. Also was hooked on PR as soon as I heard about his background and family beleifs. No offense to Drew he was and did prove to be a great QB, but I wanted him GONE so bad I was kinda glad he had the ending to the season he did *as evil as that is ;/* Sucked tho I ddint see him walking wout a trade.

Also got to my first ever NFL game or any Sporting event for that matter this year week 1. Yea not the best first ever game to go to, but originaly was gonna go to KCs opener in 09. I am still glad I got to go to a game AND rep my colors AND watch my team. And fast forward a little bit and here we are.

No turning back for me.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    When I was in the second grade, Speedy Duncan and a couple coaches came to our school and showed a highlight film. They also handed out some trinkets and ticket information and were basically hawking the team and the AFL. I began to read all I could and watch it even more, you can say I'm AFL all the way. They were the only team I knew about and my favorite in the AFL and back in those days we all supported the AFL teams. Lot's of ups and downs since then, heart ripped out and sure depression for days after hard losses. I support the team and I'm about tired of Norv as HC, AJ is on the fence with me and the players need to pull their heads out of their a s s and play some football.

23. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Never really appreciated pro football in highschool, was always to busy boozing and running around. Joined the Navy in 1986 and came to SD from Minnesota. We could not follow long distance teams then (no internet yet) so I started following local sports. Went to the Saints/Chargers game in 1989 and fell in love with the team. Grossman, BR Smith, Leslie O'neil, and Lee Williams were the core of the defense. Have been cheering them on ever since.

24. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Dan Fouts 1978. I was 8 years old. That's what did it for me.

25. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Born and raised (and still live) in Washington, heart of Redskin country.

My aunt -- who I am very close to -- moved to SD in '78 when I was 8 years old.

Spent many a summer in SD as a kid, became a fan during the early part of the Air Coryell heyday...the rest is history. Bolt Fan for life -- win, lose or draw.

26. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    :icon_toast: :tup:

27. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I was a Navy brat, so I was raised all over the place. We were all raised Charger fans, moved around alot, then moved near Washington, D.C.
    That is the only time I temporarily embraced another team, the Redskins.:eek:
    When they teach you the fight song in school, you learn it & you become a fan. (I still know it, LOL.)
    Temporary insanity, I know.
    When we moved back here, I returned to the Bolts, never to be deterred again.
    Although, to this day, I still hate the Cowboys. :D

• Like Like x 1
  28. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I wore #80 on my varsity football team in the suburbs of (Rochester) Detroit, Michigan in 1980-82. I played tight end and instantly became a Kellen Winslow fan and Chargers follower. In 1989 I moved to San Diego and in 1996 I became a season ticket holder. I am still a Detroit Lions fan and hate Matt Millen with all my might. So I really dont think AJ Smith is a problem in light of what Millen did to the Detroit franchise. Go Bolts!!!!

29. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I came in as a young child shortly after the Dan Fouts era, and sorta came into the team on my own due to a bit of a funny story that actually revolves more around baseball than football, but the Chargers sorta came along for the ride.

My dad, a diehard Rams fan, was in the Navy. Meanwhile, my mom was a diehard Raiders fan. My Dad also is an Angels fan and my mom was a Dodgers fan.

Well, I'm 8 years old and my dad is stationed to San Diego and we move there from Long Beach. As we're driving into San Diego, my brother and sister and I sitting in the back of the car, my mom jokingly says "Well, we're living in San Diego now. May as well root for the San Diego teams!"

Looking back at it she was being sarcastic. She was a casual football fan at best but she bled Dodger blue to the core. Tommy Lasorda held me when I was a baby and the Dodgers were returning from winning the World Series in 1981.

Any rate, I took her jovial request to heart and decided I would root for the San Diego teams.

But it wasn't an instant transition, however. I still watched the 1988 World Series with a Dodgers cap on. But it was shortly after that World Series ended that I completely made the transition to the San Diego teams. (Right around the time the Chargers got Jim McMahon. I was 8 yrs old and just knew they were getting a "big name")

As the 1989 baseball season rolled around I saw this Tony Gwynn guy playing and watching his approach at the plate is pretty much what cemented my love for the game of baseball. This was around the time where I really started to learn who the greats were (regardless of team) and here I was watching someone cement his name along side those greats.

Meanwhile, I pretty much arbitrarily decided I was a Chargers fan as well simply because they played in the same city. But it was Junior Seau who almost had a similar effect on my fandom for the Chargers as Tony did for the Padres.

edited to add: I still like to say that I cursed the Dodgers because they have yet to return to the World Series since the year I quit calling myself a Dodgers fan.

30. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I've been in San Diego since I was about a year old (Navy brat) and watched the Chargers on TV since Hadl was throwing them and Alworth was catching them. Been through the highs and lows ever since. Finally stopped working weekends and had enought money for tickets in '91and '92 and got my season seats in 1993 in Upper View (the "cheapseats") My friends and I nearly destroyed my condo celebrating when Dennis Gibson knocked down that pass in the AFC Championship game in 1995! Win or lose I am there until the final gun in my Chargers gear...which took some guts in the late '90s when I was surrounded by Raider "fans" in my section. I'm on the home side of the stadium now and if you haven't been to a Chargers game in person...you gotta do it! It is a great experience...OK, it helps when they are playing well.
    I admit it....I'm a homer!! Go Chargers!...beat...well.....anybody!!!