1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The passer rating stat is fools gold....Rivers is a major reason this team is 4-8...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I never thought I'd get to this point...I've backed AJ Smith from day 1 and I felt like keeping Rivers was the right move at the time the change was made...but I'm starting to realize that letting Brees walk was the biggest mistake this franchise has made in recent years. I feel strongly now that we would have won at least one superbowl in 2006 with Brees at QB. Brees was a consumate team player and never would have been lobbying the head coach to re-design an offense that was working beautifully just to help inflate his stats and his ego. Brees never had a problem taking a back seat to LT as the superstar on this team. Rivers isn't a bad QB, but he is no superstar, and I don't think he is respected by anyone on the team as a true leader the way Brees and LT have been. IMO his lofty passer rating is largely due to the following:

1. Defenses continue to scheme against LT and the running game first and foremost in spite of the fact that our Oline can't push a group of cheerleaders out of the way, much less defensive linemen.

2. Norv has completely restructured this offense to run the offense through Rivers and the passing game and have cut the balls of this team in the process. We have taken away the bread and butter designed running plays that work and have replaced them with some throw in running plays to keep teams off balance when we aren't passing....these don't work with a poor blocking OLine unit that isn't committed to giving everything to block in the running game and establish a rhythm. We don't control the clock. We don't show any physicality. It's all finesse...and it's garbage largely designed to puff up Rivers' stat line.

3. Rivers has some of the best weapons of any NFL QB at his disposal in the passing game...It's hard NOT to succeed in this offense for any QB with above average talent. He has almost zero mobility and doesn't buy a lot of time for himself in the pocket. If the designed play isn't working, it's dead before it began....We should never be relying on this QB to put the game on his shoulders week in and week out.

Watching the game today, it was amazing to see how emotionally immature Rivers still is. When things are going bad, he completely implodes on the field and on the sidelines. People want to sit and analyze LT...but Rivers is the guy that EVERYONE on the team is staying away from on the bench. Matt Ryan looked like the veteran and Rivers the rookie today. Rivers has had so many gaffes this season in key situations that have cost games that he has to be among the most un-clutch QB's in the NFL.

Furthermore, the Falcons are running their offense the way the Chargers used to....to great success...They got rid of their soft OLinemen in favor of tough road graders (note that we were quick to pick up one of their castoffs who was deemed to be too soft in the running game but a nice pass blocker)....and the Falcons pound the ball continuously....even when for most of the game Turner was averaging under 4 ypc....but they continue to hammer and mix in the passing game strategically. This is what the Chargers would do in 2006 when the heavy lifting was done with the running game and the NFL's MVP. The 2008 Norv / Rivers version is a JOKE and our offense has been turned into a soft pussified unit.

I will always love the Chargers as long as they are in SD...but it is getting awfully hard to watch them under Norv..putting the fate of our offense on Rivers and his shot put arm. Another season of this will be almost unbearable.

FIRE NORV. Period.

• Like Like x 2
  2. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    The passer rating stat is fools gold....Rivers is a major reason this team is 4-8

Oh please. Norv did not change an offense to inflate Rivers stats. He changed it to the same stupid thing he has run everywhere and it only works if you have an all pro studded offensive line that can give your QB and WR time to run these stupid 7 step drop, slow developing pass plays. How does it inflate Rivers stats on 3rd and 4 to throw 40 yard, low percentage bombs? It doesn't. The offense (both LT and Rivers) are struggling because our offensive line is soft and our play calling is predictable and unimaginative.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The passer rating stat is fools gold....Rivers is a major reason this team is 4-8

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

1. The O-line sucks. The sooner everyone realizes this, the sooner everyone will see why our offense is useless right now. It all starts up front and we're getting our ASSES WHIPPED up front.

2. The entire league is going to more pass oriented offenses, not just us. Have you ever seen a New England game? Well, guess what kind of offense we're trying to run? And you said so yourself, teams are still keying on LT, so it makes more sense to gameplan against what the D is trying to do, doesn't it? The problem is the H/C is an idiot.

3. Playmakers?!?! :lol: You show me a playmaker on offense who's had as good a year as Philip and I'll show you an underachieving crybaby. Bottom line is, our "playmakers" have all been hurt this season, and the ones who have been healthy are only "playmakers" in the minds of Charger fans, which make us too bias to face reality most of the time. Reality is this team is not as good as ANYONE thought they were.

I agree, Rivers needs to get his emotions in check and I'm honestly surprised Mike Carey (who I think is the finest ref in the game) didn't tossed him from the game. One thing however I did want to see id Philip direct some of that fire and venom at the fat asses up front not doing much of a job blocking for anything or anyone. Someone should have set fire to the bench, they didn't even deserve a place to sit.

Before you **** on Rivers again remember this: he is the MAIN reason we even have 4 wins.

FIRE NORV. Agreed.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

God, I miss Lorenzo!!!! :icon_evil:

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

This is the most concise, accurate explanation I've seen in here so far.

I'll only add that Norv & Philip's man crush on each other is scandalous. :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33

Rivers is a phoney! Brees for life! 2 superbowls with Brees!

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746

marry him

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930

that's illegal in both California and Louisiana :lol:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979

Live together in sin? :icon_shrug:

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

Marry them.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

Disagree that it's all Rivers fault. I do agree he has to manage his emotions better and not throw the game killing INT. I do agree with most of you it's the freakin LINES. The o-line is just playing atrocious. One play in particular is when Rivers got sacked by Babanaex from the ATL and Clary just let him go by a la Shane "Turnstyle" Olivia. Just pathetic oline play. Not sure what happened from last year to this year but that dominate left side just looks like crap. Lo Neal is gone and that's a big part, but that left side with Big Mac, Dielman and Hardwick used to PLOW mofos. Now THEY are the ones getting plowed.....:icon_sad:

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

I disagree completly

why does LT get a pass because the O-line sucks?

why does the team get a pass because Norv sucks?

but Philip, which has great stats, is scapegoated for this mess.

Yes he has looked bad at times, but better than most of the other Charger players.

Rivers IS NOT the reason this team is 4-8

P.S. I loved watching Philip tell Norv to go for it on 4th and 3

P.P.S. How many times was the HC/OC late sending in plays? :icon_twisted:

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

Rivers is a good QB who has made some bonehead plays as of late. No more bonehead than the rest of the team. No more bonehead than the coach.

You sees Brees with the Saints and wet your pants. I have news for you. The Saints aren't the Chargers and the Chargers aren't the Saints. It's childish to think that he would have been our savior if we had only realized his supernatural talent before we let him go. It's a fairytale. Its fiction.

Even if this little fantasy were true, was there anything that showed that he would become the gunslinger he is now. No. He was a good QB that was efficient in the short to medium range game. He got rattled under pressure. He couldn't hit recievers in stride. He threw a subpar longball. He was not great. He was not the answer to taking this offense to the next level.

You sound like all the terrible football pundits on all those terrible big-ticket sports sites. They tell you that you should have worn a raincoat when it's raining. Two minutes later it get's sunny and hot so they tell you that you should have worn shorts. Well that doesn't necessarily mean that they understand how weather works.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

That's the reason we got rid of "Mole Man" in the 1st place!!!!

15. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255

HOLY CRAP!!! You figured it out! You alone undermined and brought to public AJ's and Norv's underhanded, evil scheme to sacrifice the whole team in a gargantuan effort to pad Philip Rivers' passer rating! :tdown:

16. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

No....I figured out what should be obvious. We hired a coach who is doing what he's always done regardless of personell and in complete disregard of what the true strength of this offense is. Norv has moved completely away from putting an emphasis on the running game and physical offensive linemen who can actually drive the pile forward (...and we have a couple of linemen on the bench right now far more suited to run blocking in Shelton who should be starting over Clary and Newberry over Softwick)....not to mention the lack of a true blocking FB (see Andrew Pinnock)....and comitting to a running game with plays actually DESIGNED to feature a former MVP, NFL record holder and future hall of famer. A FAR better formula for success than what we are currently doing in letting a slightly above average, unathletic QB try to do the heavy lifting for the offense by throwing the ball to Malcolm Floyd all day.

It does start with the offensive line....but we could be making changes right now that would begin to restore the true identity of this team....and it's starts with scheme and personnel up front. This team was 14-2 in 2006 pounding the rock with a run first mentality and then gashing teams with our superstar TE. Fast forward to 2008 and this team will be 6-10 at best by the end of the year because the identity of this football team has completely changed to a soft, finesse team put on the shoulders of Norv's little pet project Philip.

Norv / Rivers Ball doesn't work for this team.

17. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

Rivers game has suffered because of the line and he needs to keep his composure under pressure a little more.

18. gobolts_charger

gobolts_charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

Brees was picked off 3 times yesterday & still doesnt watch his blindside. Brees won't win a SB with the Saints....good team, good QB, but not good enough to get the SB.
    If Brees was still with us, I'm still not convinced we'd have a ring yet. I love Brees, dont get me wrong, but he's an above average QB at best.
    Everyone, please remember, Brees is playing in his 8th season starting, Rivers is in his 3rd.
    Rivers will only get better in time...& he's doing just fine IMO.
    However.....he needs more time back there in the pocket...he's getting killed due to what many others feel is the real problem.....our O-Line!!!!!

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

It's not Rivers' fault. Honestly I think Rivers could be a lot better than he is now if Norv wasn't calling the offense. You need 4 yards for a first down and Norv decides we should go for the bomb, which is nice if you complete it but most times you don't.

Our defense is getting winded because they've been on the field all day and instead of going for a long methodical drive to give them rest he runs once, then goes for a deep play then we're stuck with 3rd and long, and shocker end up with a 3 and out and the defense is back on the field.

There's room for improvement, but Rivers isn't really the problem, although he did cost us a few games but you can't be perfect.

20. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

Rivers is the only reason we won 4 games.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Classic! :lol:

22. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Let's see...

Rivers was a major contributor in the Jets and Patriots wins....so was our defense...so was Vincent Jackson
    LT won the Raiders game after Rivers was in the process of choking that one away.
    Rivers ALMOST lost the Chiefs game with an unbelievably bad INT in the red zone and an overthrow of a wide open LT in the red zone.

Gaffes by Rivers were major reasons we DID lose:

against the Bills...Fumble and a horrible pick in crunch time.
    against the Saints...Another horrible pick trying to force the ball into double coverage when driving to try to tie.
    Against the Colts...horrible decision to hold the ball out like a rookie in the red zone costing us at least a FG and the win.
    against the Falcons...Horrible decision resulting in a safety...Missed passes and poor decisions and emotional breakdown acting like a 5 year old girl on the field.

This year, the offense and the team was handed to Rivers by his mentor Norv. Rivers' inability to perform in the clutch and the regression of our defense and offensive line have resulted in 4-8.

23. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280

hmmm... last time i checked rivers has kicked major *** as a starter, especially this being his 3rd year as a starter. QUOTE ME ON THIS

rivers will have a dominant year in 2009-2010

theres no need to get complacent and run the ball every goddamned play, rivers has proven himself, and hes an amazing 4th quarter qb. a one dimensional offense is boring, no matter how good it is, i like watching our tall *** receivers take to the air, they tend to own their defenders.

24. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

What about the games Rivers did great only to have it pissed away by the defense?

And we didn't lose the Falcons game because of that safety, we should have never even been in that game, the entire team was awful.

The Colts game goes on Norv for calling that stupid TO late in the game which gave them enough to win.

The Saints game the offense did great, you can only do so much especially when the defense is allowing 30+ points and not stopping the opposing team. He made a mistake but every QB does, like Brees did this week, threw 3 costly INTs.

25. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

I like most of your posts but this one is 90% bullshit!

First of all Matt Ryan looked like the veteran because he had all day to throw, just as nearly every QB we face that we make look great which includes a nobody from Coastal Carolina named Tyler Thigpen. Rivers had virtually no time to throw on most of his throws. Granted he did make some bad throws but he was harrassed all day in that game and our OL looked as bad as i have seen in a while.

As for Brees, well hey.. i like that you dig his big numbers while throwing the ball 50 times per game but what impressed you most about his game on Sunday? His 296 yards or his 3 INT's that helped lose the game for his team? When has Drew ever been clutch that makes you think we would have won a superbowl with him in 2006?

Defenses are still scheming to stop LT? Really, was that when Rivers lights them up giving us the lead at the end only to have the defense give up the winning drive in 4 games this year?

I agree the 2008 offense has sucked of late but lets not give all the blame to the QB. OL has stunk....everybody on that OL has stunk this year. McNeill has sucked, Murc was awful on Sunday, Hardwick has stunk, Goff, and Clary...all of em!

Where are the short drops and a slant, or a quick out? Where is the misdirection, where is anykind of gadget, a reverse, anything to give a new look that we havent done all year? Seems LT will never attempt another pass as long as Norv is here. Everytime we throw a swing pass to LT, there are NO blockers out there to help him even gain 1 friggin yard and it most always gets stuffed.

LT cant run, we dont use Sproles at all and try and get him in space, Rivers has no pass protection, we try a pass at our own 1 yard line with a play that obviously has long developing pass patterns when something quick could give us breathing room.

I dont know, i guess Drew being a consumate team player would change all this :rolleyes2:

You are absolutely high if you think Rivers has lobbied the HC to re-design the offense so he could get better stats. WTF?:icon_shrug:

Did you know that Michael Turner was asked who Matt Ryan reminds him more of? Drew or Philip and he said with no hesitation that he reminded him of Phillip because they are both real smart QB's?

Yep, the players sure must respect Drew more than Phillip :rolleyes2:

Way to throw out a total phucking guess on that one and try to play it as a fact

26. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl: