1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Patriots are crying...........

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SDRaiderH8er, Dec 24, 2008.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-playoffdebate122408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Fairness being raised over divisional alignment
    By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 3 hours, 32 minutes ago

While cries of unfairness coming from Patriots Nation are likely to fall mostly on deaf ears outside of Massachusetts these days, Sunday’s finales could lead to more questions about the current divisional and playoff formats.
    Not only is it possible that the New England Patriots could miss the playoffs at 11-5, but there’s the potential that two of the NFL’s eight division winners will be mediocre 8-8.
    The Patriots’ flattening of the Cards ultimately might not matter.
    The Arizona Cardinals, who didn’t do much more than warm up the team bus on their way to getting waxed 47-7 on Sunday at New England, and the San Diego Chargers, if they beat Denver, will win their respective NFC and AFC West divisions with eight wins. No team has won a division at 8-8 since the Cleveland Browns captured the AFC Central in 1985.
    Meanwhile, even if the Patriots beat the Buffalo Bills to reach 11 wins, they’ll miss the playoffs if the Miami Dolphins and Baltimore Ravens win. However, this is about more than the Patriots getting the short end of the stick.
    Since the NFL switched to its current eight-division format in 2002, which made the possibility of an 8-8 division winner more likely, three times have teams won their division with only a 9-7 mark. One of those teams, last season’s Buccaneers, went to the playoffs while the Browns sat home with a 10-6 record. This season, there’s a chance that seven teams could finish with better records than two division winners, but not make the postseason.
    Still, the reaction from those with the greatest influence is simple: Remain calm.
    “This is something we warned the owners that could happen when we switched to this format, so it’s not unexpected,” said Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, who is also the co-chairman of the NFL competition committee. “The feeling is that this is an aberration, not a sign of some trend … Now, if it were to happen again over the next two or three years, maybe it’s something we look at.”
    Likewise, Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said: “It’s definitely something we anticipated when we went with this eight-division format. This is not a surprise nor is it something we should over-react to … when we proposed this system, this is something the owners ultimately wanted and felt good about.”
    Moreover, it’s something that ultimately the owners believe improves interest in the game, even if it’s occasionally frustrating for fans.
    Polian knows that well from having grown up as a baseball fan in New York. Until 1969, major league baseball featured a one-division format in each league. The division winner went to the World Series. No playoffs, no wild cards, no anything to keep fans in multiple cities interested to the end.
    “At most, you might have three teams competing in a given year,” Polian said. “In the system we have now, you have fans in multiple cities excited right up to the end.”
    Going into the final week of the season, there are 11 teams still competing for five spots. In addition, Atlanta and the Carolina Panthers are still battling for the NFC South title, putting 13 teams in play during the final weekend. That puts the final Sunday of the NFL season on par with the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament in terms of wide-ranging interest.
    Ultimately, more excitement equals more fan interest which equals more money being pumped into the game. The exchange for the almighty dollar is that occasionally some team that seems more deserving might get left out.
    New England coach Bill Belichick didn’t seem upset about his team’s predicament, even after a remarkable season by Belichick’s high standards. The Patriots have a chance to go 11-5 despite having 15 players on injured reserve, including 2007 Most Valuable Player Tom Brady.
    “Well, that isn’t really anything we have any control over. We just have to do what we can do,” Belichick said Sunday after his team humiliated Arizona. “We would like to be in the playoffs. That’s what we are here for. I think our guys are playing hard, preparing well and they are playing very competitively. But, we are not in it with Arizona at this point. They are in a different conference.”
    Would Belichick like to see the format change?
    “That is not for me to decide. I have my hands full trying to coach a football team,” he said.
    Some of Belichick’s players weren’t so accommodating.
    “Typical stuff you see around the NFL,” one Patriot said. “How do you get to go to the playoffs at 8-8 or whatever when other teams win 10 or 11 games and don’t get in?” Said another: “Doesn’t make much sense to me, but I’m not in charge. I mean, Arizona didn’t even show up [against New England] and when you look at the tape, they haven’t shown up in about a month.”
    The Cardinals are in the playoffs despite having lost four of their past five games. In those four losses, Arizona gave up 37, 48, 35 and 47 points. The only win in that span was over 2-13 St. Louis.
    Likewise, Denver has had a chance to clinch the AFC West the past two weeks, but lost both and allowed 30 points in each game. In fact, for the season, both Arizona and Denver have been outscored.
    Finally, San Diego is in position to win the division despite being 4-8 at one point. At least in the case of the Chargers, they beat the Patriots 30-10 earlier this season. “At least with them, they can play,” one of the Patriots players said. “I don’t know how the heck they were so bad, but I know they have talent.”

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I'm all broken up. I need to go get a hanky.

3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I sure hope the enjoy their Holidays with their Families!

It could be a VERY LONG offseason for them :icon_rofl:

4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    We kicked the chowds arse so they can just zip it. Maybe if they showed up here in SD to play things might be different for them.

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    You know why? I'll tell you why!

[​IMG]

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    They wouldn't be in this predictament if they didn't get manhandled by the Chargers.

7. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I know we all hate New England, but I have serious doubts to the truth of this story. I can't find one single other column about Patriots players saying anything else similar, but they open up not to a local writer, but a guy from Yahoo? And all anonymous quotes? I did several searches on the web and cannot find anything else similar; when guys have issues and want to get their message out, since when do they only talk to one reporter?

I smell a columnist who had an idea for a story, was unable to get any quotes, so he just made some up to go along with the point he was trying to make.

Now their fans crying about it, that I would believe. Maybe that's where this Jason Cole guy got those comments.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Who cares if the Patriots are crying until we win the next game. as was said when we were 5-8. The only game that is important is the one in front of us.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :lol:

The NFL can be a fuked up place some times....

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Oh it must suck to have parity in your division, boo hoo. You'd be silent if the Jets or Dolphins got the short end of the stick.

11. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Never gets old!:lol::lol:

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChargersBKK

ChargersBKK BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    These numbers will tell it all why Bolts deserve the playoff place.

Total opponents' record (non Division)

SD 96-54 (Home 51-24, Away 45-30)
    NE 63-87 (Home 31-44, Away 32-43)

They may argue AFC East teams are stronger, may be true, but it's the rule and it is really fair rule in terms of drafting and salary cap. They can move their franchise to LA, though. :abq2::abq2::abq2:

13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Patriot fans are whining and complaining?!?

heh heh

Hahahahahaha

Ahahahahahahahahhaa!!!

BWAAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :icon_rofl:

That is TOO effing funny! :nana_dance:

14. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    You are right about nobody else having this story cause if you watch the actual pressers, in each one you have the media is asking the same question 4 different ways trying to get the Patriots players to complain and they say we are focusing on the Bills and not worrying about things outside our control.

As for fans, feel free to check out the Patriots boards you will find the fans don't feel it is unfair. You might find a thread about how it is peculiar or asking when the last time it occurred but you won't find whining.

If you want whining check out the Colts board. They are pissed at the idea they might have the second best record in the AFC yet still have to travel to SD to play a team they beat.

The media has vigorously sought two stories this week. They are trying to get the Patriots to complain about the format and get BB to admit he will be rooting for the Jets this weekend. And try as they may they haven't gotten it.

15. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Sometime the division format screws a paticular team, sometimes it saves a particular team... overall I think it is a good system.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    They're seriously crying about that?

Did the Titans cry when they finished 13-3 in 1999 and had to settle for a wild card?

No. They won 3 playoff games and went to the Super Bowl and came within a hair of winning it.

17. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Colt's fans really don't want their team to come back to SD or play a bad weather game in Denver.

18. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    IMHO, the Colts are the whinniest fan base out there. Every fan base whines and *****es from time to time.

You guys *****ed and moaned about the refs in the Denver game. But damn it. You guys had every freaken right to ***** and moan about that call. The call was totally screwed up.

They ***** and moan about every call that doesn't go there way, even ones that clearly were correct.

Yeah, they are whining about that too.

19. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    It's not over yet. We need to concentrate on Buffalo and let the Jets take care of the Dolphins.

As for that story, pure fiction, like when the criminal in a bad cop t.v. show confesses at 8:55 so they can wrap the case up by 9:00.

Patriots players don't say anything about anybody before a game. They are all smarter than that, and better coached.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Phuck whiners. :icon_eek:

21. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

You realize that you will snare some of your fanbase and your Bots players in that net as well, right.....?

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sure - I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone in particular. I just come from the camp that you play the cards that you're dealt.

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    For years the AFC West was the toughest division in football and the Pats played against weak Dolphins, Jets, & Bills teams. Now the other teams in their division have caught up. Hell, as recently as last season, the AFC East pretty much sucked besides the Pats.

Those Pats players that are whining like little girls need to take a large shot of shut the f*uck up.

• Like Like x 1
  24. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Bingo. And I agree.

Will I be disappointed if Patriots are out with 11-5 and the Bolts are in with 8-8? Of course. Will I cry it is unfair or be posting the rules need to change? No.

I actually do support changing the rules the way the Colts are whinnying about but was shot down last year. Which is after you let the 4 div winners in and the two wild cards in you seed based on records/tie breakers. Which this year would give Colts a home game and would send Chargers/Bolts and Cards on the road. Not for the fairness issue but because it would make more week 16/17 games meaningful.

• Like Like x 1
  25. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Oh my- the [poor little Patriots might not make the playoffs.... Well boo-faqing-hoo. Maybe they should move the stinking Patriots to LA if they want to get into the playoffs instead of someone in our division.

Stop the presses and re-write the rules so New England and Bill McCheatichick can get into the playoffs one more time.

Give me a faqing break.

Too Bad So Sad.... now let's play football. Go Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  26. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry guys, but like Hoodie and Beerguy have already said, I'm not really hearing anyone locally crying about .500 teams making it in and we not... for a couple of reasons.

A) looking at individual plays which changed the season for us for the worse, Jets 16 yard pickup on 3rd and 15, and Jabbar Gaffney's dropped pass against the colts. We're complaining we should be 13-3 and in, not that other teams are 8-8 and in. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._Patriot_s_predicament:_Three_low_notes_echo/

B) too tied up with what's going on with Brady's recovery
    C) what to do with Matt Cassel
    (strike that. reverse it!)

Don't have a clue where that article came from. Haven't heard anything on the radio or tv and haven't read anything in the papers to point the blame at anyone but ourselves... that, however, could change after this weekend.

Good Luck against the Bronco's. I hope you do win the game. Even play well and go far.

(How else Norv gonna stay employed!)

Regards,
    jason

• Like Like x 1
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Now THAT was uncalled for!! :icon_tease:

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Thats bull, lets do away with the waildcards!

If you want to host a Playoff game, win your division. its that simple. If you are not good enough to win your division, why should you be good enough to host a game?

29. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    You know better than this. Have you seen any Pats players whining on ESPN? SI, are they reporting anything said by the Pats players?

C'mon.

30. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Anyone who is even the least bit familiar with the Patriots system knows no player makes any kinds of comments about much of anything prior to a game.

Belichik would banish to south Boston any player who did that.