1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Peyton Manning Playoff Myth

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jan 9, 2008.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    All the talking heads assume that because Peyton won the Lombardi last year, he must have exorcised his playoff demons. Hardly. In last year's four postseason games, Manning had a QB rating of 70.5while throwing 3 TDs and 7 INTs.

Those numbers were actually the second worst of Manning's postseason career. The reason Manning was able to win a Lombardi last year was because of the performance of Addai and the defense. It also helped that the Colts got to play the anemic Chiefs, Ravens and Bears offenses.

People become so enamored by championship rings and see little else. A Lombardi trophy does not make Manning a better QB.

I'm not expecting Manning to come out and stink it up on Sunday, but those that are expecting Manning to come out and throw 4 TDs and 0 INTs are basing that expectation on the ill-conceived notion that Manning is now a clutch playoff performer.

When is the last time that Manning had a great playoff game against a good defense?

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    This game is going to shock some people.

The Colts are the definition of a finesse team, on both sides of the football - small, smart and fast. That's why the Titans always give them fits - because Fisher's teams are physical bullies that come to knock your teeth out.

I thought the Chargers had lost that edge, especially after seeing them play Jacksonville. But I think that first Titans game woke something up in these guys - in addition to getting out-physicalled against the Jags. They found that hard-hitting, smashmouth spirit in Tennessee, and every game since, the Chargers have been laying the wood.

That's why least week against the Titans was a great first playoff game - because it reinforces the bully attitude. The boys are going to come hard this Sunday. Even if the Colts win, they're going to be one beat-up team when you go to the AFCC.

But that's no foregone conclusion. That Chargers have the ability to score with Indy, and they've proven the ability to stop Peyton Manning.

It goes without saying that I've very excited for Sunday.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    It means we have to play our game and force the Colts to adapt to us. Not to say the Colts haven't played physical ball but they don't do that often nor can they play it for long.

As for Manning, I just go back to his problems with the 3-4. He doesn't play well against the 3-4 including Baltimore and Pittsburgh and even New England

4. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    The prognosis for manning this Sunday ?

PAIN !!! :bolt:

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Great post bsbb! :tup: :bolt:

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Swinging from the loins of Archie

Don Banks is stoned. shEli Manning is the 4th best QB in the playoffs? For the mediots (love that term, they're using it on the NFL Forum), it's all about the QB and head coaches. Nothing else matters.

Rating the playoffs QBs, division-round oddities, more - SI.com

Sorry, but I have never had this "dream" ....
    If you weren't fully convinced that the mediots swing from the loins of Archie, then read this line ...
    BTW ...... the Colts are 0-2 in the Divisional round of the playoffs when they are the 1st or 2nd seed.

How about Peter King's handling of Archie's loin sack?

Offensive Player of the Week

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018

:puke:

I don't blame you Shamrock, but I wish I didn't have to read crap like this...

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Hmm...Peter King took a break from slobbering all over Tom Brady. I bet Brady is stewing in jealousy. Peter King is a man whore.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I don't mind the media blowing Peyton Manning as much because at least he's earned the accolades he's gotten. Eli has done nothing but live off his brother's fame. Eli won his first playoff game this past sunday, prior to that he'd lost two others and was the cause of their loss by throwing picks everywhere. Yet because he has Manning as his last name he gets slobbered over.

You know what? Screw Manning v. Manning in the super bowl. I want Manning v. Rivers so Philip can shut all those *******s up once and for all about who's the better QB.

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579

I am going to have to sue for copyright infringement.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Keep it up. More locker room material. "Look's like meats back on the menu, boys"!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

I swear we could make a mint on the terms we've created.

But, it's better than the "media" stealing what some write on the forums, and that does happen.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

Peter King is an admitted Jersey A fan.

Mediots, great term.

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  15. Mista Kool

Mista Kool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The real myth is that LaDainian Tomlinson is an elite running back. I'm sorry, but until this guy does something in the playoffs he's not elite. Not only do his numbers plummet in the post-season, but he has a tendency to whine and cry and make excuses for it. It's embarrassing to watch really.

It took Fake L.T. 7 YEARS to win a single playoff game.

You want elite running back, take a look at the Colts Joseph Addai. He not only brings it in the regular season, but he actually upped his game in the playoffs and took his team to the Super Bowl and the world championship. You can ramble on all you want about Fake L.T.'s regular season stats, but anyone with half a brain can clearly see he's nothing more than a stat whore who's exposed in the post season.

16. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    No wonder the Wabbit banned you ......

It's too bad we can't red bomb your *** while you're on "vacation" ....

17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Let's not ban anyone, please. Let's have some fun with the trolls.

We are going to win the Super Bowl. Nobody will be talking **** after that. It's going to be fun rubbing peoples noses in it.

Don't ban them, just watch them STFU and disappear.