1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Power Of The Bolt: A Chargers Story

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Bleacher report

4-27-2010

As a die hard Charger fan, I have many good memories. There's nothing like being at Qualcomm and watching Philip Rivers air out a 60 yarder to Malcolm Floyd. Or watching 65,000 people rise to their feet as Sproles takes a screen pass 80 yards to the end zone.

So what draws us to a team? Could it be a fan becomes a fan because of the play? Of the players, community or organization? Or is it deeper than that. A loyal fan has a far deeper investment in a team win, lose, or draw. My favorite memory of the Chargers has nothing to do with the stadium, the players, and didn't even happen in the city of San Diego. It actually happened in Denver of all places.

The power of the Bolt:

It was last January at the Denver airport when it finally came to light what makes me so drawn to this team. I was at the waiting gate to board a flight to San Diego to watch the Chargers Divisional playoff game. I had my Rivers jersey packed, and was excited as could be, just 24 hours from kickoff.

As a merchant marine, I fly quite often, upwards of 40 times a year. Mostly before flight boarding, I try to kill time by zoning into my laptop, or cellphone, and trying my best not to engage in conversation. But this time was way different.

As I looked up from my laptop, and scanned the room, I noticed a flock of Charger fans, all wearing hats, shirts, jackets, even a few jerseys. As the group kept growing to nearly forty people, I found myself doing something I hadn't before. I closed my laptop, and I ended my cell phone conversation.

I quietly gravitated to the group of fans. There were young, old, male, female, black, white, and every thing in between. Everyone was cheerful, delightful, and very talkative. I met Chargers fans from Wichita, Omaha, New Mexico, even one from South Dakota. Then it hit me. I would have never met a single one of them if it weren't for the power of the Bolt.

In many cases, this comraderie has more power than music, religion, education, and transcends any barrier. Every team has it. I spent four years in the Navy, and honestly, if I saw two strangers, one wearing a Navy hat, and one wearing a Chargers hat, it would be the guy in the Bolts I would first talk to.

Many of the people I met at the Denver airport were flying to San Diego to visit family, but all admitted, that the Chargers game was the primary reason that brought them there. Myself included. I plan my visits with my dad around "you guessed it" Charger games.

So that's what it's all about to me. Yeah sure, we lost that game. Yeah, it was a painful ending to the season, but in no way will I blame the Charger players. Okay, well, I lied, Cromartie and Tomlinson I blame. Kaeding too. I'm optimistic that next season we wont be relying on Kaeding's three point contributions so heavily now that we have Ryan Mathews.

Either way, win, lose, or draw, I will be there next season. And to be perfectly honest, without the Chargers, I probably wouldn't have seen California, or my dad in years. So in the end, yeah, a Lombardi would be nice, but I don't need bragging rights to like what I like!

Sorry Buck I had to do it... :lol:

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
  3. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Seconded :icon_toast:

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

5. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    It is! :icon_party:

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    an AJ is... :popcorn:

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    pretty darn good at least and certainly better than beathard.:icon_toast::icon_shrug:

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I was gonna say GOD but I thought it was implied :icon_shrug:

9. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    GREAT post, Johnny!!!:tup::tup:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Nice story. I have found Charger fans in the unlikeliest of places.

11. SDChargers1982

SDChargers1982 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Even in Brazil...

GO CHARGERS!!!

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

Who is the girl on the right is all I want to know
    .....:drool:

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    It's like religion. Seeing and feeling the friendship of Charger Fans the same regions of my brain are enlightened as when
    I'm praying or going to church.

Mankind is a individual being and a group being. We need both.