1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    After 4 weeks of the season, here are the power rankings.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11002517

Top 5

1. Giants - They move to the top spot without playing a game, thanks to the Cowboys losing. The Giants were the best at the end of last season and they're the best now.

2. Titans - With that defense, they will stay close to the top all season long. Kerry Collins has really helped the passing game.

3. Bills - Even when things didn't go well against the Rams, they found a way to turn it around. They're good. Trent Edwards is good.

4. Redskins - As long as Jason Campbell continues to make the strides he's making, they will get better and better. Give Jim Zorn credit for putting Week 1 behind.

5. Cowboys - Defense, guys. It's all about the defense. They give up too many big plays. You won't win a Super Bowl that way.

Chargers Rank

16. Chargers - Winning two consecutive games has the Chargers feeling good again. They did make it interesting against the Raiders.

Bottom 5

28. Raiders - Does it really matter who coaches this team with Al Davis looking down from his perch? Fire them all. As long as he's still running things, it won't matter.

29. Chiefs - Give it to Larry Johnson and you have a chance. Of course, you don't get to play the Broncos defense every week.

30. Bengals - At 0-4, it's time Marvin Lewis felt the heat. How does he not? If last Sunday showed anything, it's that they have no chance without Carson Palmer.

31. Lions - So the Lions finally fired Matt Millen. It's too bad his stink is still left behind. Bad drafts will kill a franchise.

32. Rams - They've given up 30 points or more in four consecutive games. Yecch. Even though Jim Haslett was the defensive coordinator, he will get this team playing better.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2008&week=5

Top 5

1. Giants - Took the NFC East lead without getting off the couch. With the Seahawks coming in, Giants are staring at 4-0.

2. Titans - Hard to find fault with the franchise's first 4-0 start. But you have to take note that the teams they've beaten are 3-12 combined. The Titans are the only team that has played three home games.

3. Cowboys - We'll see if the loss to the Redskins is a wake-up call. The good news is Cincinnati, Arizona and St. Louis are next.

4. Bills - The Bills have overcome three straight fourth-quarter deficits to remain undefeated. Their opponents have a combined record of 4-11, but the Bills have been sensational when it matters most.

5. Steelers - The Steelers got back on track with a big win against Baltimore to solidify their spot as one of the AFC's best.

Chargers Rank

8. Chargers - The Chargers' win over Oakland wasn't pretty, but 25 points in the fourth quarter is a nice indication of what this team can do.

Bottom 5

28. Raiders - The Raiders may be a mess, but this team is playing hard. Good things will start to happen if that trend continues.

29. Chiefs - The Chiefs deserve a lot of credit for their big win over Denver. Many pundits thought they'd go 0-16. That is no longer a worry.

30. Bengals - This team wasn't good with Carson Palmer. Without him, it might be the worst team in the league.

31. Lions - Matt Millen's departure doesn't make them any better. At least not this year.

32. Rams - Rams would be wise to give Marc Bulger another shot. Trent Green's not the long-term answer.

3. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80b40e87&template=without-video&confirm=true

Giants ascend to top spot without even playing a game
    By Vic Carucci | NFL.com
    Senior Columnist

This is how the NFL's 32 teams stack up after Week 4:

In the hunt
    Teams that look good enough to be among the 12 playoff qualifiers, but not based on conference.
    Rank Team Record Prv. Comment
    1. New York Giants 3-0 2 You know you're good -- or maybe the competition is lacking -- when you move to the top without even playing.
    2. Tennessee Titans 4-0 5 Defensive domination and a solid offense make a strong argument for the Titans to be considered an elite team.
    3. Buffalo Bills 4-0 4 They've got the formula for strong finishes down. Now it's time to work on faster starts.
    4. Washington Redskins 3-1 10 Jason Campbell's continued improvement and a solid defensive effort make anything possible -- including knocking off the Cowboys in Dallas.
    5. Dallas Cowboys 3-1 1 Memo to the coaching staff: Run more! Memo to Terrell Owens: Speak less!
    6. Carolina Panthers 3-1 9 The Panthers can count on a decent challenge from the Chiefs, but this is a game where they must prove they truly are consistently strong.
    7. Philadelphia Eagles 2-2 3 Let one get away in Chicago … and it doesn't get any easier vs. the Redskins.
    8. Pittsburgh Steelers 3-1 8 Key offensive injuries and a short week won't make it any easier at Jacksonville Sunday night.
    9. Denver Broncos 3-1 6 The first time their offense doesn't show up, the Broncos show just how vulnerable they are with that porous defense.
    10. San Diego Chargers 2-2 -- The Chargers have a good chance to make it three in a row at Miami.
    11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 3-1 -- Matt Bryant's incredibly inspiring performance will leave in indelible mark on this season.
    12. Baltimore Ravens 2-1 11 Joe Flacco made strides at Pittsburgh, but he faces an even greater challenge vs. the Titans.

The rest

4. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    My power rankings....

#1 - Giants (SB champs still undefeated)

#2 - Bills (playing good AFC style football)

#3 - Cowboys (lots of weapons, future TO implode)

#4 - Panthers (this team has heart and they are physical)

#5 - Steelers (not for long due to injuries)

#6 - Titans (great Def and Kerry looks good) (opponents are combined 3-12)

#7 - Chargers (2nd half team with an improving D.)

#8 - Eagles (High powered offense with potential)

#9 - Redskins (only here cuz they beat the cowboys)

#10 - Broncos (Untill they fall apart, they make my top ten)

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

Give em a break, they're a great team and Campbell is on the rise, i say switch em with the Panthers....they're not that good.

BTW didn't the broncos fall apart last week? losing to a 1 draft contender is falling apart to me....

Interesting what you said about the titans though.

6. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I would place the Chargers at 12. Chargers D blows!

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

wow, what a gut wrenching story. I'm putting him on my FF team just for the courage he showed

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-3-163/Matt-Bryant-s-strength-goes-beyond-the-game.html

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I can imagine nothing worse than losing your child.:no:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Biden lost a toddler daughter and his wife, with his two sons suffering life threatening injuries. Rocky Bleier brought both of them autographed Steeler team balls to the hospital while Biden had stepped out for a while. When the PSA crash happened in '78, I was in my car listening to the radio. The initial reports put the plane crash in the intersection where my house was located and my wife and new son were inside. The crash was several blocks further west in truth, but the feeling I had on hearing the news was beyond description.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I like this one best. Because they still have A LOT of improvement left!!!

As fun as Sunday's win was, 0-15 in the first half and the way our offensive line was getting owned in unacceptable!!

Learn how to dominate in ALL quarters instead of just the fourth!!! :tup:

11. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Man i can't imagine that..:no: thank goodness there ok. I don't have children yet but i think i was like 12 or 13 when sept. 11 happened and i just moved to DC . My mom would go to work at a company called Marsh in Washington and everyday she would pass by the pentagon. When i got home from school i saw the reports that one of the crashes happened in the Pentagon and i felt like i couldn't breathe. Later my mom called and said that the plane hadn't crashed yet when she passed by. It was apparently like 3 mins. after she passed. Crazy...

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

That was one of those days you know exactly what/where/when you were

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I remember that. I lived about a mile away to the west. I was just a kid at the time. That was crazy. One of my friends claimed to have found a foot by his house. He said the police came and took it. I think he was full of crap though.:unsure:

14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Eh....#2 in Vegas.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We need a blow out this weekend!

That will shift us into full gear!!! :yes:

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I remember where I was at the time of the crash.

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Anyone who has the Stealers ranked ahead of the Chargers in the "power" rankings should not be allowed to drive, vote, or reproduce. Do these people actually watch football?

• Like Like x 1
  18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

THE RAMS SHOULD BE #1!!!!! :icon_rofl:

Joker!

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I was test driving a vehicle when that crash happened. Just got past the La Mesa summit and seen the smoke. I was listening to the Mac & Joe show on KFMB and one of them explained the crash as it happened, what a horrific day.

20. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  21. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Cue Stephen Cooper in 5... 4... 3...

22. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

Your list looks more realistic than the professional two others.
    Thank You

23. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    thanks!!