1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The problem is SYSTEMIC. Firing Norv? O.K. Firing A.J.? OK, Unlocking the Spanos money? Nope!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Voiceofpoker, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Voiceofpoker

Voiceofpoker Life-Long Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been calling for Norv's head on a platter for 3 years now, but instead A.J. and the Spanos give A.J.'s YES MAN a 3 year extension, while blowing off Vincent Jackson and McNeill. The family is a bunch of tightwads, plain and simple.

I'm so tired of hearing about "small market this" and "small market that" from these bozos. They get revenue sharing just like every other team in the league. Look at Green Bay! The City owns the team, they are sold out until the year 3010 and still manage to pay their players what they are worth. Have you ever BEEN to Green Bay Wisconsin? There aren't enough people that live in that city to FILL Lambeau Field!!!

I think (if the reports are true) that a 5 year $50m with $30m guarantee is a bit much for *even* Vincent Jackson, but according to his agents, he didn't ask for that much. How many dropped passes were there last night? How many times did Rivers have to scramble for his life because (God Bless him he's trying) Dombrowski isn't a pimple on the *** of Marcus McNeill yet?

I don't believe that one or two players (even skilled pro-bowlers) can make or break a teams season, but I can guarantee you that it broke the DIVISION GAME last night.

We have plenty of cap room, but the Spanos' are too damned cheap to pay great players, which is why most of them (with a few exceptions) end up in another City.

If I were Phillip Rivers, I'd be at the Chargers front office first thing this morning, kick in A.J.'s door, tell him to get Spanos in the room, pick up the phone and call V.J. and M.M. TODAY and make a deal. If they didn't do it, I'd tell them I think I sprained my finger. Let them try to win with Volek.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah because VJ and Big Mac would have made those special team tackles and won the game... Right?

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We looked like crap with those guys last year against the Raiders. Fact is, Norv just has no idea how to get the team ready to start the season. Sept in the only month of the season where he has a losing record. For some reason or another, this team just sucks the 1st month of the year

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly man. You guys think having VJ and MM would have WON us this game? Special teams, rain and loud crowd won it for KC. I felt Legs did a real nice job and Dombrowski held his own in pass coverage. We'll get it together. Typical Norv slow start. But it's not how you start, it's how you finish. I think we STILL win the AFC West. No need to hit the panic button.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Lets be honest, that isn't saying much. No one else in the division should win more than 6-7 games

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    so, you think the problem is the front office? MM & VJ are the reason we lost that game last night?

oh, and btw, MM is not a great player - imo

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Everyone always says this as though it were some sort of salve for what we saw last night.

That was **** and against a **** team and it does not appear we got better since last season.

If we lose the Home Opener, may as well get the crash cart ready because this patient is having gran mal seizures and is about to die.

8. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The Chargers need to regroup a little...that's all. That was a pretty fired up Chiefs team....during that last stand I believe Rivers had two chances with a "fairly" clear route to run the ball in himself. Tough one to lose, but better to lose it now rather than in December.

The sky isn't falling there's a whole lot of football left. The Chargers will win the AFC West...take it to the bank.

9. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I agree and have been saying it for years. I love my team. I hate my cheap *** owners. At some point you have to take a chance at a title. Steinbrener. MM and VJ may not be the do or die players but they were a huge part of the teams success last year. Why would you not do everything in your power to bring them in and keep that confidence going? I don't care if it was raining. I saw dropped passes and balls that got forced from players hands that had the ball.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah I'm not worried about this.

McNeill wouldn't have helped at all, Dombrowski did a solid job.
    Vjack would have helped a little at the end of the game because he's such a matchup nightmare, but the rain is what grounded us for the first 3 quarters.
    Osgood is who I want, our STs was AWFUL, and it pretty much cost us the game.

Cassel threw for 68yds, Campbell looked awful, we know Orton is limited, and we still have about 9 games where I'd pick us to win easily if its not raining cats and dogs. What pisses me off is this was supposed to be one of our gimmies.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Get the paddles out.

Charge to 500 milliamps.

Clear.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    McNeil WOULD have helped because it would have ensured Clary was on the bench. The right side got dominated last night, in both running downs and passing down.

Overall the line got dominated all day

Use the rain as an excuse all you want. I didn't see the Chiefs slipping and sliding all over the place. Yes the Chargers dominated that game, but thye played a horrible KC team. Had we played a good team, it would have been a blow out

13. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Your talking about winning a weak division. The big picture is what not having these players will affect.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Had the Chiefs not allowed Legadu to be WIDE open for a TD, last night was a blow out. We would have lost by 14 and not 7 if the script played out

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Very true. Would have been worse against a good team. KC is a terrible team

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Exactly.

Try and follow along.

VJ and McNeil have been the centerpiece of controversial action and non-action from the front office all offseason so it's only axiomatic that any loss is directly the result of their absence.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I think it's silly to write off one of the Chargers TDs because it happened on one big play when that's pretty much what happened for all 3 of KC's touchdowns.

If the Chargers don't allow a long run by Charles the Chiefs only score 14.

If the Chargers don't allow a long run by Charles and If Ryan Mathews doesn't hand the ball to the Chiefs in the Red Zone the Chiefs only score 7.

If the Chargers don't allow a long run by Charles and If Ryan Mathews doesn't hand the ball to the Chiefs in the Red Zone and if special-ed teams tackle McCluster the Chiefs don't score squat.

We can play the "what-if" game all day long, but the fact remains Naanee was open and the Chargers didn't lose by 14.

Besides, you have no idea whether or not the Chargers march down the field on that drive if he's not open. It's not automatic that Legedu not wide open=drive stalled. It just means they don't get the TD on that play.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If your aunt had danglies She would be your uncle.

The Chiefs converged on Gates, they did not LET Naanee get wide open, the play worked as concieved.

End of story.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    And, really, what does it matter how much they lost by? A loss is a loss. 14 points, 7 points, 1 point, 145 points....they'd all add the same number to the L column.

This week sucked. Time to move on.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Nobody gets that WIDE OPEN in the NFL unless it is a blown coverage.

Come correct man.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    But why was the coverage blown?

Did the corners just decide to take the play off?

Or were they following Gates?

22. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    No but I bet with VJ on the field they score another TD

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Why was the coverage blown ?

The answer is because someone usually forgot their assignment.

Now who is responsible ?

I can only speculate but odds are the CB and/or safety blew it.

No one ever gets THAT WIDE OPEN unless someone has fallen or forgotten their coverage assignment.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    You can speculate all you like.

You know what you can't speculate because it is irrevocable fact? That the Chargers didn't lose by 14.

Let's move on.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If you had taken the time to READ I said "IF" the script played out which means what we saw unfold, we would have lost by 14.

I can play the semantics game all day long.

It changes nothing.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I did read that and I responded to it in post 17.

We can play the same "if" game with all 3 of KC's touchdowns.

And you're right, the "if" game changes nothing. The Chiefs scored 3 touchdowns, the Chargers scored 2, and the Chargers lost by 7, not 14.

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You asked why the coverage was blown.

That takes speculation.

If you did not want to know the reason the coverage was blown, why ask the question?

You know the players in a defensive backfield. There are only so many combinations of guilty parties. The corner may have thought he had coverage over the top as in a Cover One or Cover Two for Legadu. The corner may have released Legadu and should have stayed with him ? I do not know. There are several possibilities why the coverage was blown. It was however not designed to shut down Gates with triple coverage while another player runs wide open for a TD. That much is certain.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    And your claim isn't even valid because there is no definitive proof that says if that play does not occur the Chargers don't score a touchdown on that drive.

If Naanee isn't wide open and the play results in an incomplete pass the Chargers still have the ball at 2nd and 10.

Who knows what happens from that point forward? Maybe they still drive down the field and score. Or maybe McCluster runs another one back? Either way, it's not axiomatic that the drive stalls like you're making it out to be.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Then you should have understood there was a PREMISE that I formulated which you ignored and played the "what if" game. A premise is laid out to avert that mental masterbbation. The words "If" and the "script played out" should have been sufficient enough for you to grasp the boundaries of the premise. You missed it completely.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Rhetoric.

I really don't care because the facts remain that the coverage was blown and the Chargers scored.