1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Pros and the Concs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, we had a game yesterday against a Carolina team missing arguably their best offensive weapon in Steve Smith. The Chargers played ahead until the second quarter when the Panthers scored their third field goal.

Pros:
    The fans;
    they were loud on offense, and even though some of them decided to chant LT… LT… LT… every time the Chargers huddled up, the fans were still in mid season form.
    No one should carry on the misconception that Charger fans are ‘So-Cal’ laid back, that isn’t the case any longer.

Rivers;
    I know, I know, many of you are chair coaches are going to disagree with my arm chair coaching, but so what? Rivers was doing something repeatedly I had not seen him do a lot of before. He was side stepping the pressure, keeping his eyes down field and making plays when in past season he would have attempted to scramble, looking like some old film evidence of Sasquatch, or taken the sack. Rivers is maturing into an even better QB, and will be one of the reasons this team still makes the playoffs.

Rivers finishes his day 17/27, for 217 yards and 3 touchdowns. Not at all too shabby if you ask me.

Tolbert;
    Tolbert is another AJ find! He is a bowling ball full back who can catch the ball out on the swing! Tolbert was impressive when he touched the ball in my opinion.

Concs:
    Offensive play calling;
    Sorry, but it almost seemed as if the Chargers were desperate to set up the pass with the run, and with 8 in the box, and a lot of blitzes the running game did not even see the light of day until the fourth quarter. The Chargers offense in general other than a few flashes early; did not wake up until late in the game. But this was the first game and by no means a reason to check and ensure the sky is still firmly in place.

Defense;
    Ok, this is where I hang the loss. The defense was unimaginative, got extremely little pressure on Delhome, could not stop the run, and could not stop the pass. The Panthers had their way offensively and could move from one end of the field to the other seemingly at will. Most of you know how much man love I have for Big Jamal Williams, but this game left me with an empty space just over my stomach. Jamal was pushed around more often than not. The defensive line got no real push at all from my perspective up in the view seats. The linebackers were not blitzing all that much, and were definitely not effective in stopping the pass. I think it is quite telling that our two best tacklers on the day was Eric Weddle and Clinton Hart. Those are secondary players for you who didn’t know… Cottrell called a pre-season-esque game, and I would be surprised if the Carolina laundry service has to use any spray and wash on Delhome’s uniform. No pressure and he had all day to stand back there and pass. Sorry, I give the entire defense, defensive coach, and hell the towel boys who gave the D their towels a big <b>F</b> on the day. I think they need detention…

Special (or not so special) teams;
    Man, Scifres had five punts on the day and averaged 47.6 yards, which is about 10 more yards than I expected. His punts for the most part were not up to his usual standard. But they were much better than the kick offs which were short on everyone. I don’t recall Carolina having to take a knee on any of the kick offs, though the Chargers had to on all but a couple. The coverage was alright but all in all the entire Chargers team looked lackadaisical and not ready to play.

What can we take from this? We will not be 16-0. That is all, it is a long season and it is how a team finishes that is important. Last season we were 1-3 to start the season, 5-5 at one point and we were in the AFC Championship game. We all expect better, hell we DEMAND better. With the rising cost of tickets, parking and all the other rules that annoy the fans (such as cutting down on tail gaiting time) we DESERVE better.

The Chargers did not seem to make any big adjustments in halftime; they came out of the half much as they did in the first. I think they may have thought that without Steve Smith Carolina could not beat them. I hope not, because Carolina is a good team, not one to be taken lightly. They have huge lines and some very skilled players at key positions.

Bottom line. The Chargers are 0-1 and no amount of arm chair coaching is going to change that. So what do I want now? I am glad you asked:

SHORT MEMORIES!!!
    The Carolina game cant be changed, so learn from it and take every team seriously and play like it is the SuperBowl. The Chargers cant let the memories of the Carolina game to haunt them and make them start second guessing themselves. But if they use it to light a fire under their arses then so much the better.

Next Game, Denver at Denver. No time to dwell on things, lets get it going gentlemen!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I thought the O played well and special teams did as well. My only gripe is the D. Terrible in coverage, the zone was too weak and was easily exploited by a good QB in Delhomme, too many time guys were late/ out of position. The last drive by Carolina is INEXCUSABLE. The offense did its part to regain the lead and put us in a position to win, and the D failed us yeat again. My boy Rivers was GREAT as usual, moved extremely well in the pocket, and showed the poise of a vet far older than he.

I was having flashbacks to the teams of the 90's/early 2000's yesterday. THe D that could never hold a lead.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Excellent take Conc,

I totally agree with the play calling especially with our two most important lineman out of action.

and,

I wished we could adjust our defensive schemes to attack their weakness and adjust to them when they find ours.

We can fix this.

KICKED THE DONKS A55!!!

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

4. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Rivers kicked A$$, got to focus on next week! :bolt:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Zactly!

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Well said bro, well said

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Conc, thanks for bringing some light into the tunnel. I was and am still bewildered about certain aspects of that depressing game. However, posts like yours and some of the others help me withdraw from it and move on. Thanks, bro :tup:

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I agree pretty much across the board. Rivers picked apart their secondary in the 4th quarter, when there was no doubt that we were going to throw to ball. So why do we try to run it down a teams throat when there are 8 the box? If Rivers can pick 'em apart when they know we're throwing, he should be deadly when the other team is stacking the box. I wish we would come out trusting Rivers to air it out to give LT some room.

And the D was bad... just bad. The most telling numbers from this game were the distribution of tackles...

S. Phillips 8-1
    C. Hart 7-3
    E. Weddle 7-4
    A. Cason 5-1
    A. Cromartie 5-0
    Q. Jammer 4-2

Secondary guys were 5 of the 6 top tacklers which is a ****ing embarrassment. Our LBs and D-line got absolutely owned by the a patchwork offensive line. Panthers' RBs were either bouncing off guys in the backfield, or going five yards before being touched, both of which are completely unacceptable. The only reason I give the secondary a pass is because there were getting hammered all day as the only guys that seemed to be able to find and hang on to the ball carrier.

This team needs to play a lot better.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'm just gonna say it: Our D is too SOFT. Coaches and players.

Time to grow some sacks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    True that...

Take away the fourth and goal stand and the fumble recovery and this game is a blowout. Particularly with Cro's huge year last year I really think this defense has come to expect the turnover rather than forcing the issue. Our turnover's last year were the result of putting pressure on the QBs and meeting guys in the backfield. Yesterday it looked like we were on our heals just waiting for something. :icon_shrug:

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    . need to get our boys healthy on the o-line...
    . dang, Tolbert is the man...
    . glad VJ showed up - he looks great...
    . LT with nearly a C note - keep slingin em...
    . PR is "the chosen one".... great game, in the 4th...
    . with that many weapons, how do you score only 10 pts until the 4th?? props to the Carolina D...

. did our starting down 3 d-line play more than 10 snaps together...
    . the run defense is pathetic... no more "vanilla" as an excuse or Jamal, for that matter... did they extend the correct DE...
    . Cason had a very good game for a rook... he'll be ready when it counts...
    . Cro got some humble pie...

but,... after a looong off-season... for the pure enjoyment of the game, it was great entertainment... would've prefered to win tho...

it's not where you start, but where you finish...

now, go doink the donks...

• Like Like x 1
  12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    GREAT SPEECH I CONFIRM EVERYTHING

THAT ALLOWS ME TO BE SAD REALLY SAD FOR ONE DAY

THEN SAY: HAY, MAN! LET'S TRY TO GET 15-1.

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Nose Tackle has long been one of my most feared points of failure.

As Jamal goes so goes the defense and as goes the Chargers Defense so goes the Chargers franchise. For this reason, IMO, Big J is the most important player on the Chargers... (forgive me for saying this) even more important than Rivers or LT.

For years now Jamal has played great and has largely been healthy... and there's nothing to say that he won't start dominating again this season. He could just be a little rusty.

HOWEVER, there is no long term contingency plan for Jamal going down. Bingham and McKinney are barely even stopgaps. Unfortunately, after every season the draft/FA period goes by with no move to pull in an heir apparent to Jamal. Maybe AJ hasn't found a suitable one. Maybe whomever was available meant cap problems and trouble with AJ's model of bringing players up from within the system. They have their reasons.

But with how careful the management has been to provide depth to the CB position, the RB position and most every other position on the field it boggles my mind that they don't have a quality player behind Jamal.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think its becoming painfully obvious that a true backup nose tackle MUST be found, we can't keep screwing around on this, we have to get a new nose tackle who can properly fill in for Jamal. Bingham isn't a nose tackle and McKinney I don't have much faith in.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Quote: Rivers was doing something repeatedly I had not seen him do a lot of before. He was side stepping the pressure, keeping his eyes down field and making plays when in past season he would have attempted to scramble, looking like some old film evidence of Sasquatch, or taken the sack. Rivers is maturing into an even better QB :yes:

Nice take Conc... :tup:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    yeah, we discussed this at length. The problem is most nose tackles do not come out of college ready to shine, and you dont just replace a Jamal Williams. That guy should be a hall of famer after he retires IMO.

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    That's why I'm surprised that AJ hadn't moved on this three years ago, two years ago or even last year. Maybe they expect great things from McKinney but I don't see it... I never have. And if McKinney isn't the solution then they're in a crap-or-get-off-the-pot scenario.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, maybe AJ will find a FA gem or trade... I am in a wait and see mode, and remind myself, IN AJ I TRUST....

19. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree...we need a FA or draft choice this year.

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I concur but that means as well (in regards to your previous post) that the Chargers need to be proactive in finding someone who could fit the mold that's either
    1. a 4-3 DT in another system (See Shaun Rodgers and Kris Jenkins) that could match the size requirement
    2. A 3-4 DE OR big college NT that can have weight added on to them to force a double team (people have suggested this of Igor)

If you can't find one that fits the exact mold out of college (last two I remember in the past four years were Ngata and Wilfork) then alter the mold.

Either way this needs to be fixed in hte post-season

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Agreed. But as enormo pointed out, it could be that Jamal is just rusty, and we have a little time (but not beyond the off season).

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Even if Jamal is just rusty, the fact that he hasn't played in the pre-season means we need someone (a backup NT) that is ready to roll from the get go

23. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I disagree with the playcalling. From the first play of the game, I thought that Norv did a great job mixing up the run and the pass. His play calling kept LT fresh throughout the game, and 21 carries is perfect. The difference was offensive execution between the first and second half.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He mixed it up but did not disguise anything. There were a few plays (handoffs to Tolbert with LT in the backfield) that surprised me, but by large, Ant and I were calling the plays just by seeing how they lined up.

That given, the execution did get better, and the secondary of the Panthers is a very good unit.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    First off, thanks Conc. Agree with your assessment on the whole.

Congrats to Carolina. They were prepared. We were not. Probably the most disappointing part of the loss for me.

PR looked good. Much better pocket presence. Still telegraphs his throws too much for my liking, but he looks better in the pocket already. Don't know why we didn't air it out more sooner. Offensive play calling was pretty unimaginative, IMO. The OL pass blocked pretty well, run blocking not so much.

The D looked flat, sluggish, soft, weak - kinda like a Ted Cottrell defense looked at the beginning of last year. He is officially back on my **** list. While it is true that he can't make the plays, he did a very poor job of making adjustments to get our guys in place to make the plays. Plenty of it is on the players, but Ted did nothing extra to get pressure on Delhomme. And he beat us.

Fat Teddy better get a freakin' clue. I don't like this bend but don't break crap. It's playing to not lose - sound familiar? Shawne may be hurt, but we have some other playmakers. I just hope, like you guys, that Jamal holds up. We should have hung on to Divens. :icon_sad:

Now that I've finished whining ......

LET'S BEAT THE FREAKIN' DONKS INTO SUBMISSION!!!!!!!!!! :icon_twisted: :icon_banana: :icon_twisted:

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think Jamal was rested TOO much during the exhibish. Norv needed to find out how he was going to fare earlier on and given him a chance to get into playing shape. What seem to be obvious here is that Carolina was pointing toward us the entire preseason. Fox used his starters a lot before game one, so they might wear down as the season progresses, but Norv used ours too little for the second year in a row. Merriman is not helping us. AJ should have given him the option of surgery or the IR early on. There's just no way to play at the proper level with a knee that wobbles when any lateral movement happens. I have my doubts about him at the present time ever regaining dominant form unless he has the surgery some time soon. The chance are better than even of him really wrecking that knee, considering every cheap shot artist in the league is probably drooling.

27. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    :icon_toast:

28. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He mixed it up close to the end of the game. There was a whole series where he ran the ball like 7 times in a row. I felt he could have opened up the passing game more. But oh well...There is PLENTY of football left.

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Hey! stop ragging on Merriman. He WAS in that backfield massin' with Delhomme and what do you expect...of course he sucks against the run; Everyone did. Merriman played and that is all that mattered. But the play where brought Tucker in Philips got a sack and tucker was inches from one.

30. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Now thay Jamal has this game to build on i think his performance and the D,s as a whole will improve.PR looked good but i hoped we would put the play through the air a liitle more.