1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The rating game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who's the more important Charger, Jamal Williams or LaDainian Tomlinson? We rate the roster, from No. 1 to No. 52

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    September 11, 2006

It must be acknowledged, first off, that this is, to say the least, an unconventional way to look at a football team. Ranking players one through 53 based on their importance to a football team is almost impossible.

K.C. ALFRED / Union-Tribune
    Football is the most team-oriented sport, almost every play somehow involving every player on the field.

Furthermore, no one can predict injuries or which players might be asked to step in and contribute more than expected.

But why not spark a little conversation?

So here are the 53, in order of their importance to the 2006 team:

1. PHILIP RIVERS (17)

QB, 6-5, 228, 3rd year, North Carolina St.

A quarterback is dependent on his cast, but you can't get around the fact he will touch the ball every offensive snap. Rivers appears to have what it takes to lead a team to success. If he does, the team will continue to believe in what appear to be immense leadership traits. If he consistently makes mistakes, the Chargers will struggle.

2. ANTONIO GATES (85)

TE, 6-4, 260, 4th, Kent St.

Not only is the two-time All-Pro among the game's top weapons, he is also going to be the new quarterback's main target. Teams plan their defenses around Gates. His presence is why LaDainian Tomlinson does not see eight men in the box pretty much every down of every game. If, in fact, Gates is also a more effective blocker, that's a bonus. If not, oh well. He is a red-zone phenomenon, with 23 touchdowns over the past two seasons, 21 of those coming on plays that originated at or inside the 20.

3. JAMAL WILLIAMS (76)

DT, 6-3, 348, 9th, Oklahoma St.

The league's top defense is a product of this mammoth man's ability to clog the middle and get in the way. The Chargers better pray he does not get hurt. No slight to his backups; Williams is just that good.

Click the link for the full article.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060911-9999-1s11backp.html

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Depending on when Igor gets back from the knee injury, our 3 down lineman might record 20 sacks this year. That's amazing for a 3-4. Castillo looks like he might get 10 on his own.

What's the NFL record for most sacks in a season?

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I know writers are looking for new "angles", new "twists" to make an interesting article. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Powers rankings and weekly picks areticle for example or a few examples that work. Ranking each player on a team doesn't. This is a team sport. If there was a team ranking, shouldn't the #1 ranked guy get the team ball every time they win? The truth is it takes everyone. Different guys will set it up in different games. Parker may make that clutch cathc that seals the deal. LT may be unstopale another. Rivers may be on fire, or Merriman may just impose his will on the other teams o-line. You get the point.

For that reason a call this article, the stupidest premise I've seen for a football article this season. Kevin Acee is trying to invent something new with this and I'll give him credit for trying, but in this case it doesn't succeed. Bad article peroid. :tdown:

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    If we use their "touches the ball xxx times" argument, then L.T. should be #2 behind Rivers, since he touches the ball 20 to 30 times a game, whereas Gates only gets it 6 to 10, if that much.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The whole article is a reach, but at least he's trying to come up with something new. Can't blame him for that. Just, in this case it doesn't work.

6. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree with ya Thumper. :tup:

I didn't bother following the link and waste my time. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The article had merit.

Answer the question if you disagree.

Rank the importance of each player.

I would have put Jamal Williams at Number One before Philip Rivers. After Rivers we have Whitey (maybe Volek) but after Jamal we have ****.