1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Chargers Defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jan 9, 2008.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I know stats don't tell the whole story, but I thought it would be interesting to see what stats the Chargers "real defense" has put up over the last eight games. When I say "real defense" I mean the one that has Quentin Jammer and Antonio Cromartie starting at cornerback. Since Cromartie took over a starting spot and Jammer returned from injury, this defense has been nothing short of dominant. Here are the defensive stats for the 8 games (including the WC game) since Cro and QJ have been starting together. In parentheses is where the Chargers would have ranked if they'd averaged these numbers for the whole season:

Pass Defense
    Completion Percentage: 57% (3rd)

Yards per game: 188 (4th)

Yards Per Pass: 5.8 (3rd)

Touchdowns: 8 (2nd)

Interceptions: 13 (1st)
    Our average INTs per game was actually less in our last 8 game than it was in our first 9 (Thanks Peyton) but our INTs per game in the last 8 still would have been enough to lead the league in this category.

Quarterback Rating Allowed: 64.1 (1st)
    We led the league in this stat for the season, allowing opposing QBs to compile a rating of 70.0 against us. But in the last 8 games we've outdone ourselves.

Sacks: 26 (1st)

Run Defense
    Yards per Game: 94.25 (6th)
    Yards per Rush: 3.6 (3rd)
    TDs: 5 (9th)

Total Defense
    Total Yards Per Game: 288.2 (4th)

Yards Per Play: 4.83 (4th)

3rd Conversion Allowed: 37% (7th)

Total Touchdowns Allowed: 13 (1st)

Points Per Game: 13 (1st)
    Had the Chargers averaged this for the whole season, they would have been more than 3 points better than Indy, the league leader in scoring defense. And in their last 4 games, the Chargers have allowed only 10 points per game.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good ****, Bro.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I was over at Colts.com and noticed something I was unaware of. Check out their D, look at how they were acquired.

Mathis 5th round pick
    Brock FA
    Johnson FA
    Thomas FA
    Hagler 5th round pick
    Brackett FA
    Keiaho 3rd round pick
    Hayden 2nd round pick
    Jackson 1st round pick
    Sanders 2nd round pick
    Bethea 6th round pick

4 free agents and two 5th round picks in their front 7, this D can be had on the ground.

Compare that with out starting D.

Four 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, two 4th rounders, a 7th and two free agents.

We have the better D. :tup:

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    colts D is real quick thats for sure, i think they are a lil overrated with out freeney cause they have no pass rush, if they have no pass rush Rivers will eat them up and on rushing we need Lo Neal back to smack bob sanders in the mouth

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The key for our offense will be efficiency. Efficiency on third down. We need to avoid the third and long situations we found ourselves in against Tennessee. If we can keep the Colts defense on the field, we can wear them down. The Colts defense relies on speed. Misdirection will be important. The more we make these guys chase, the more they'll tire out.

The Colts secondary is actually more physical than their front seven. Their CBs and safeties lay the wood, but our pass catchers are big and physical. I think it's a good matchup for us.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Getting Manumaleuna into space and throwing to VJ should cure them of some of that. I'd be interested in seeing Chandler among these guys at the second level, too, if he's ready for the opportunity. Getting Legedu out into space off the H Back slot would also be quite entertaining.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Great post BSBB!

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Sure great post BSBB
    Love to see our guys playing
    :bolt:

10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Did we suddenly enter a time warp and go back 25 years? :lol:

Chambers, perhaps?

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
  12. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Agreed !!! Nice dig ! :icon_toast:

13. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Great post .. I was wondering what the stats were over these past weeks. It seems like we are playing on a higher level than we were last year (at least in the secondary).

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    This Chandler.

87 Scott Chandler, TE
    Height/Weight: 6-7/265 | Birthdate: 07/23/1985 | Birthplace: | Team: San Diego | College: Iowa | NFL Experience: Rookie

Their D is not as scary with Freeney out. That dude is fast and can pressure the QB.