1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The REAL reason AJ hates Marty?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by leisure, Feb 14, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Um no... I don't know. Please, elaborate. :icon_tease:

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Maybe Marty was the "pool boy"? :icon_shrug:

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Lemon trade seems to be the starting point, or at least the tipping point.

AJ traded Lemon without consulting Marty, but that suggests the two already weren't speaking, so it probably was earlier.

I don't think AJ ever wanted Marty. It was not his hire. I bet AJ wanted to fire Marty after '03, and the Spanoses wouldn't let him.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Marty got drunk and was talking **** to the wrong set of ears about A.J.

Cowher was licking Marty's nuts when he got fired/quit. What is the connection you ask?

The coaches have their own network to infiltrate the machine. It is a power struggle of management and money philosophies. There are two sets of rules which teams play by in the NFL and some straddle the line. Wayne Huyzinga's speech was interesting regarding Nick Sabans departure was interesting to say the least.

5. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Purely conjecture, based on another rumor. If it is true that AJ wanted Troy P. and gave into Marty who wanted S. Davis, because AJ was the new guy on the block and sort of thrust into heading the draft late in the game, I think I could see how he said, screw this, I should trust my instincts and just get the players I want, and I can see how Marty would not like that in the future, and this is the longest run on sentence I have ever written, especially considering it is all conjecture based on hearsay and very little facts whatsoever.

6. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I think that Schottenheimer and Smith had some issues when Butler passed. I think that first draft and the poor results from it were the result.

I also think that Smith does not forgive to much when he thinks he has been wronged.

That leads me to , somebody did somebody wrong song.... somebody wrong song.........come on you know the words.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bill Parcells comments come to mind.

"If you are asking me to be the cook, I would like to have input on the ingredients".

8. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    If my memory serves me correct, Didnt Marty and steal one of his Hawaiin shirts?

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think they were steppin on each others toes. Marty wanted personnel input, and that rankled AJ. AJ wante input on who played and that rankled Marty.

Each had their spheres of influence and detested the other trying to enter thiers.

JMHO.

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    You can't handle the turth...:lol:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I think it goes way deeper than players.

It has to do with John Butler's death.

Marty called him a fat slovenly pig who spent money on Marcia Wiley and David Boston and deserved a hideous death.....and it came true.

Marty had no respect for Butler even though he was hired by the man and overpaid at the time as well.

Marty kept his cool and tried to fuc over AJ when he was depressed and grieving in a power struggle take over when JoBu croaked.

Marty lost his attempted coup and AJ never forgot or forgave. :yes:

That's the story and I am sticking to it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You little gossip whore.

I'm guessing it was just an ego thing. Marty was used to being the big dick in an organization. But here, AJ had final say on personnel, and I'm sure they butted heads about players. Also, Marty's a people person. He tends to value relationships with players and coaches over the team. AJ's the opposite. He wants to do right by the players and the coaches, but only as long as it is in the best interests of the organization.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I was a Marty backer but Marty made the biggest misstate of his life, buy not doing what ever AJ wanted him to do, if he was ever going to win the super bowl it would have been in SD now he never will...

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think Brees' injury is what really pushed it over the top. I think that really pissed AJ off.

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    im pretty damn sure this hatred concieved at a summer party at aj's, marty was messing with aj's tivo and set the tuner to record mash instead of the oc, nobody fuqs with aj's oc.

16. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Purely conjecture, I but I think it might have something to do with AJ being chosen to replace Butler, the aftermath of the "push year", then compounded by the Eli Manning fiasco.

Marty has repeatedly said "the past three years" when referring to the simmering conflict with AJ. That excludes the first year of their tenure together - the "push year".

My guess is Marty didn't have any confidence in the selection of AJ Smith to replace John Butler, but decided to give it a year. In that year, the Chargers went 4-12. Marty petitions privately for full control, pointing out that AJ is in over his head and the team has regressed since Butler's death. AJ may or may not have been there during this petitioning, and the betrayal destroys their relationship. Still, Spanos turns down Marty's request.

Remember during the Eli fiasco how Archie Manning said a "source" told him the the Chargers were a franchise in shambles? Marty, incensed from the rejection, privately tells Archie that AJ is going to run the team into the ground and his kid probably wouldn't want to be here. Again, word may or may not have trickled back to AJ.

The rest is history. AJ pulls one of the greatest heists in draft history, the team goes 12-4, and win Executive of the Year, solidifying his hold on the GM position. But he never forgives Marty for the betrayal and everything that came after, culminating in the Execution of 12 February.

How's that for some conspiracy theorism? :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sounds about right. Now, clearly, if Marty was pushing for full control during the '04 offseason, he would have discussed it with Condon, his agent. Since Condon was also Eli's agent, Marty could have been the "source" within the organization without ever meaning to be.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Alot of good ideas why they didn't get along. I guess you'd summerize it as a power struggle. And eventually one would have to leave.

I myself thank Dean alot for getting rid of marty so the team can get going on the same page. :yes: :bolt:

We've got the talent now to win it all for a few years. The window is there. Time to push the final mile to the championship.:yes:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You basically told my story better than me. :lol: :abq2:

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    G'damn man, Marty is such a douchebag.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Who cares, Marty's gone. Be happy.:bolt2:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I see you got rid of Marty's adopted dad sig real quick. :lol:

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

The guy is a damn good coach, he's gone and so is the sig.:bolt2: :lol:

24. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're words seem near to reality to me. On this level of management you can only survive when you try to get all
    strings in your hand. Hope AJ will get the coach he wants.