1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Rites of Passage

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by SDRaiderH8er, Sep 14, 2007.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070913&content_id=2206055&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

SAN DIEGO -- Milton Bradley's suit was missing from his locker. While other players had suits in theirs, Bradley only found a heap of unusual clothes in his -- tight corduroy pants, a wool sweater and a beaded Rick James wig. He knew what was going on.
    Rookie hazing.

The tradition
    Rookies and second-year players go through a rite of passage into the Majors at the end of the regular season. As soon as all the September callups join a team, it's customary for the veterans of each clubhouse to stash away their clothes at the end of a game. Out go their suits and in come crazy costumes. The newbies, who are without their regular street clothes, must abide with the tradition and wear whatever is given to them. The prank usually takes place on a day the team is traveling to another ballpark. This can only mean one thing: They must wear their new outfits to the airport, on the plane and to their next destination.

"Yup, everybody goes through it," San Diego Padres right fielder Brian Giles said. "It's a baseball tradition. It's a lot of fun for the young guys to come up here, first time in the big leagues, and experience it and get ready after a game to take off, fly somewhere and all of a sudden you have to wear a dress to the next city."

Bradley was hazed in his rookie season with the Montreal Expos in 2000 and then again in 2001 with the Indians, when he had to wear the Rick James wig.

"Everybody had to do it," Bradley, now with the San Diego Padres, said. "It was fun. When I was with the Expos, I had to wear a maid's outfit with a wig and all that stuff. And then when I got to the Indians, I had to wear some tight corduroy pants and I had like a Rick James wig. ... Each time I did it, at least five, six other guys were dressed up, too. If I had to pick something to put on, I'd pick what I had because everyone else had it way worse."

Bradley enjoyed the moment, as did his teammates, who taped him on a camcorder as they went through the airport laughing.

"I didn't get hassled at all, people just laughed at me," Bradley said. "They were laughing with me because I wasn't embarrassed about it. It was fun for me. I mean, you're in the big leagues and you get the opportunity to be hazed. Who doesn't want that?"

Alex Escobar didn't want to be hazed when he was with the Indians. According to Bradley, Escobar refused to wear a costume when it was his turn. Escobar chose to wear his regular baseball shorts and a T-shirt instead.

• Like Like x 2
  2. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25
    hahah I'm glad he was cool with it. For some reason I didn't picture him putting up with it very well.