1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"The Road to the Show" on Ch 4 SD

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Mar 10, 2008.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    For those who like baseball and especially like the Padres:

A new TV show debuted on Channel 4 San Diego last night called "The Road to the Show". It was on last night following the Padres blowout of the White Sox in Spring Training.

It was an hour-long and was nothing I've seen before.

My family and I loved it. I'll give you the reasons why for me.

The show is all about the path to the major leagues for some players in the Padre organization. The main player followed, who is now in big league ST camp with the Padres, Drew Macias, was the narrator, insider, and videographer for the show. Alot of the show was Drew, holding a video camera, wandering in and out of places that minor leaguers would go, not the public. This included clubhouses, their apartments, busses they used to travel in, and ballparks in towns in the minor leagues (Lake Elsinore was shown briefly). He sometimes would let the video speak for itself. Other times, he asked his teammates and coaches questions, while videotaping them.

There were also other interviews,with players and coaches with an off-camera person asking the questions. Alot of the answers and video were very candid, things I've never seen or heard before. It gave much insight to the path some minor leaguers take to get to the Big Show.

One pitcher they followed, ending up having Tommy John surgery. They showed him waiting pre-op, going to sleep and even showed some of the surgery itself.

Very interesting stuff. I e-mailed Channel 4 earlier and told them how much I liked it and asked them to make more episodes.

It's on again tonight at 6pmPST. The game follows, against the Rangers, at 7pm.

Channel 4 is also broadcasting both ST games, vs. the Dodgers, from Bejing this week.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good stuff!! :tup:

Wish it was available for us outta towners!! :yes:

3. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Did they also show how the padres are patching up the team for the upcoming season??

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I wonder if they showed how MLB.com ranked the Padres starting rotation the best in baseball.

5. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    If I can figure out a way to get a copy to you (my VCR doesnt work), I will.

6. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    4th? wow, thats showing love. I wonder what they rank our offense.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    No, they actually ranked them first.

I'd link it, but I have to get back to work now.

(they didn't rank the offense, they only rank their opinion of the top 5)

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...d=2418552&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

9. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    They need to break headley into the lineup. He's probably the best they have for that position. But I still dont see the hype for this season. Pitching will keep us in the game but not too sure about our offense if we have any.

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This time I agree here. I am as well wondering where the bats are going to come from because what I have seen from Spring Training is that we need a lot of help in the hitting department.

We need the offense to kick in a lot and so far I am not seeing it.

I know it is just Spring Training, it does not count but I just wanted to see a little bit more with the bats we have.

Just my opinion there.

11. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    ST is pretty much a preview of what to expect for the season. Our offense is the BIG question here. Besides AG, KG, there are question marks along the rest of the way.

1. Can Kouz put up the numbers KT says he can.
    2. Can Jim Edmonds stay healthy and produce like he did 5-10 years ago?
    3. Can Brian Giles stay healthy as well?
    4. Who is our leftfielder and can they give us enough?
    5. Can our pitching staff stay healthy?
    6. Aging Trevor Hoffman?
    7. Can our pitchers give our catchers a chance to throw someone out?

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    With the pitching they have they need only a mediocre line up to be a real threat.

The problem is, whehter or not they even have a mediocre line up is still in question.

Yeah, I know, "they're not going to throw shut outs every game" But, you know what? The offense isn't going to put up goose eggs every game, either.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'm not sure what numbers KT said he can put up, but I think he can put up good numbers.

Jim Edmonds only needs to put up numbers like he did 2 or 3 years ago in order to out produce Mike Cameron.

I hope so.

Chase Headley, Jody Gerut, or Scott Hairston. (Who all carry questions of their own)

What's your definition of healthy?

There's only one team in the history of the 5 man rotation to go through an entire season using only 5 starting pitchers.

The Padres are obviously not going to match that from the get-go with Prior not due to return till May at the soonest.

Still a valid question if you're mainly addressing the health of Mark Prior and Randy Wolf.

That's been a question mark every year since 2004 and he keeps defying his age.

It's bound to catch up to him eventually, though. Hopefully not this year.

No

14. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Edmonds needs to put up bigger numbers than Cameron. Cameron did a decent job but it didnt take us anywhere.

Healthy meaning limit the starters missing there starts

Our offense needs to come up in the clutch, something we havent done in the past much.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Like I said, Edmonds only needs to put up numbers like he did 2 or 3 years ago... (as opposed to 4 or 5)

16. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Im not sure what type of numbers he put up. I think he needs atleast a 30+ 100 RBI type year for us to make any noise into the postseason.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Kevin Kouzmanoff and Adrian Gonzalez are both capable of putting up a 30 HR/100 RBI season, the Padres don't need a 3rd guy to do that as well.

I'd be satisfied with 18-25 HRs/85 RBIs from Jim.

18. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Id feel more comfortable with 3 guys puttin up those numbers. But the reality of it all, its not gunna happen puttin us, once again, home in october.