1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The safety play

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Oct 27, 2008.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Even after the interception, the Saints still couldn't secure the first down. It was 4th and 1, instead of punting the quarterback threw the ball back for safety.

Before the safety, the Chargers needed a touchdown to tie. After the safety they could win it with a touchdown.

Considering Rivers threw a high percentage of passes (70%?), and LT was running, wasn't that a risky play for the Saints?

I remembered the Falcons scored a touchdown against the Bears with 11 seconds left just couple weeks ago.

2. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yeah, I thought it was a stupid play. Fat Teddy probably smiled because it showed up in the stats as a -26 yard run. Gotta pad his resume ya know :icon_rofl:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    -26 yard, one play end of game
    400+ yards by the fourth quarter
    Yeah that really bleeping helped

4. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Did anyone notcie that when drew brees threw it against the field goal post and it bonced back into the endzone if someone would caught wouldn't that be a int.?

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    It was the most stupid play ever... Drew coulda run to the other side of the field and lay down until a Charger got there to touch him down. Leaving us with time to run back the free kick AND still have a second for a Hail Mary from the 50 yd line for chrissakes.....

I couldn't believe it, even after the Vilma INT they gave us a second chance. IMHO if we had scored the play coulda been compared to Marlon fumbling on the 4th down play against the Pats.

6. DeadCharge

DeadCharge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    They did it because it left us exactly enough time for one play, as opposed to punting it which could have left enough time for two or three. They basically gave us the ball at midfield knowing that what we were running was a hail mary. If there was time for two plays we could have conceivably run actual plays rather than just throwing it up there. I thought it was pretty smart, and it worked so I guess theres the proof.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    They could have easily left us no time. All Drew had to do was run around for awhile.

8. DeadCharge

DeadCharge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Hart was getting close by the time Brees threw it. I don't think he can outrun a safety and you wouldn't want to risk a fumble.

9. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...it was a smart play:icon_evil:

10. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Drew wasn't running that fast. He should have ran as hard as he could to the straight to the enzone and then toward the corner, he could have easily run off another second or two. But this is really splitting hairs.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Yeah.....

I still think the Saints could and should have left us with no chance. Instead we had a chance to win the game. Pass interference on a Hail Mary and we win the game next play. I thought it was a v strange ending by Payton.

12. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I hear you, it was definitely unorthodox. Speaking of unorthodox, I'd still like to see someone try to get a receiver "lost" short of the goal line on a hail mary and send everyone else to the endzone on the other side of the field. It can't be a lower percentage play, at least there would be some element of surprise with it.

13. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    It was designed to confuse London fans and make them think Americans are playing this ridiculous game that they even score points on themselves.

14. DeadCharge

DeadCharge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    It's the perfect plan! If we can't convince them the game is actually worth it, we'll confuse the hell out of them and spark their curiosity. Genius!