1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Saints QB said he was never offered a contract by the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 22, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Shammrock, a poster at another Charger site, was correct about Drew Brees saying on the Sirius radio that he never received a contract offer from San Diego.

Shamrock sent me the info on where to mail the host of the talk show so I did with this letter:
    Adam Shein replied today with this e-mail
    Now I dont know about you guys, but why in the hell would Drew make such a claim like that? I am not ready to join Trumpy in roasting him in effige, but I am definately done with the moled one if he feels this is what he has to do to the Chargers. Sour Grapes.

Shamrock, you were right! Thanks for settin me straight.

Why would Drew say this? Thoughts?

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I'm not ready to flame Brees for this. I don't want to go into great detail here because I don't want a big Drew Brews debate raging over here. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter. Drew is gone. Some might want to get some punches in now that he's gone, but I like Drew and still think he's a class guy. I wish him good luck with the Saints, except when they play the Chargers.

Let's move our support behind Rivers. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Drew Brees, he's gone. He's completely irrelevant to the Chargers now.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    I am not asking yo to flame him. I was just currious about others thoughts about why he would do that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Lets just say I don't put a lot of faith in what Adam Shein has to say. What is, "That was the indication"? notice how he words that as to not to comit to the answer. Even if Brees "indicated" that he hadn't received an offer from San Diego as AS states, bottom line is what he was offered was NOT a good faith offer. He made it known he wanted a commitment from the Chargers with a multi year offer. He was offered a one year contract with options for the Chargers to keep him for more years at their discretion. It was an incentive laden contract with a low guarentee. That's all good if Drew has the opportunity to play, but there was NO guarentee he'd even start. What if he signs that POS, and they decide to start Rivers? Brees sits the bench a year, then they cut him before the options are picked up. In that senerio, Brees would be royally ****ed. With a completely healed shoulder, his free agent value for a QB that sat the bench for a year would be lower too. This contract "offer", was more of an insult, than an offer.

Regarding what he said, don't know for sure, and I don't care. I think it's much to do about nothing. What was the EXACT statement? What was the context? Sounds like some anti Brees contingent is grasping at a reason to dis Brees on the way out. To me it doesn't matter, because Brees is gone and completely irrelivant to the Chargers at this point. He was a class guy while he was here, even with ****** cards he was dealt here. I perfer to believe he's still the class guy he showed he was for seasons here. If someone else wants to rant about how they hate Brees, that's their perogative, but I think it's a wait of time.

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Brees went for the guranteed money instead of the chance to win now. I don't blame him for it, but he obviuosly is bitter that he went from a playoff contender to a rebuilding organization.

There's no doubt in my mind, that if fully recovered, he would be the starting QB for the Chargers in 2006, and earn the $10 Mil he was asking for. But he wants the cash guaranteed before even taking a snap and would rather play for a losing organization like the Saints, who by the way, has no obligation to bring him back after this season.

So Brees should do what the Chargers are doing....move on.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190

Good points. I am not however trying to join the anti-Brees contingent or flame him. I am just to the point where Brees is gone, time to move on. I hope the post did not offend you, it just struck me as odd.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Naw, it didn't offend me. That's pretty hard to do actually. I just didn't want to start the Drew Brees wars over here. You know what Trumpy will do when he sees this thread and I don't think I can stomach seeing Philip Rivers in a loin cloth one more time. :icon_rofl:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    True... But contraversy drives posting. Even if it is postal posting...

Anywho...

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    contraversy = :yes:
    loin cloth = :no:

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Oh you know it gives you those thoghts that up your evil score.

11. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Maybe it was not a contract worthy to be called a contract in Bree's estimation ?

I know its confusing (to me anyways), but clearly and technically Brees was offered a contract because he and condon had to "reject" something.

You can not "reject" an offer that was never given in the first place.

Either that or Brees is a liar.

I prefer to think it is the former and not the latter.

• Like Like x 3
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Its he said she said
    Who do you believe? AJ or Brees?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    ...Ok, so the biggest evidence I've seen so far that Drew Brees is a liar comes from some guy named Adam Schein (sorry Conc, you spelled his name wrong). Who is this Adam Schein? What do we know about Adam Schein?

Well, here's a picture of the guy. [​IMG]

Definitely looks like an honest face.

Let's look at his bio: http://wfan.com/bios/local_bio_149085448/

Judging from this bio, he's a guy that has done a bunch sports broadcasting and filled in for other more known broadcasters, but I'd never heard of him before. Sounds like a guy that's at a point in his career where he needs to **** or get off the pot. In other words, he needs to make a name for himself, or accept mediocrity.

Hmmm... how to make a name for himself? What if he were to make statements that "implied" that a famous athlete was less than honest. Let's look at his reply to Conc. "That was the indication." I see wording here, that implies something, but doesn't say anything. He doesn't seem to want to commit to outright stating that was what Brees said. Maybe I'm wrong and this Adam Schein is one of the most honest and forthright broadcasters out there. From my own experiences with news reporters and other sports broadcasters, I have my doubts.

Bottom line is I have no idea if Brees ever explicitly said, "that he never received a contract offer from San Diego", or if he did what the context of any such statement was. What I do see is someone that has something to gain from a little notoriety. Yet some will draw conclusions based on loose implications of such a person.

Here is his email address: adamschein@foxsports.com

I just sent him the following email:
    So let's see if he is a standup guy and responds, or not.

14. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Classic! :icon_rofl:

I'm sure good old Adam will warm right up to your query.:lol:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, I don't expect him to respond, but he could prove me wrong.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    he reponded to me, lessin you think I made it tall up.

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't think you made it up at all Conc. You we much nicer in the message you sent him, then I was in the one I sent him.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Go get him!:icon_razz:

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

I'll bet he says something like this.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stevon

Stevon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Why doesn't somebody just ask him to send the sound-bite of what he actually said? How difficult is that?

This is all too much to do about nothing. :sleep014:

He obviously didn't say he was never offered a contract by the Chargers. He said several times on local radio that he was offered such a contract and it was an insult.

This is just nothing but a very pathetic desperate attempt to villify Drew Brees. It doesn't even meet the criterea of a good rumor.

If it was transmitted on SIRUS, then there is a copy of the recording. If he never said it, then you will never be able to provide such a recording.

Love these little smilies. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Couldn't agree with you more. You earned some positive rep for this post.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    :unsure:
    So you agree with him that I am tryong to villify Drew Brees....:no:

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't think you're trying to vilify Brees at all Conc. you simplely asked a question and wanted to know why Brees would have said this. I question whether he said it and if so what was the context. If anyone is trying to infer vilification upon Drew Brees, it's Adam Schein. If he has balls he'll show up here and clarify.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Gotcha!:icon_tease:

25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Still no reply from Adam Schein! :hilarious:

26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The crap doled out by Brees and swallowed here is amazing. I bet if he did your girlfriend you guys would be in denial as well.

Drew Brees will be compared for a few years. There is no way around it.

If Drew does well or bad it will be commented on till the cows come home. This is only natural and should be expected.

How you guys swallowed the "I would be willing to play for less and win a Championship" when the Dolphins called Brees on his bluff should kick you in the balls.

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    :no: