1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The San Diego Chargers Will Be Strong With Philip Rivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The San Diego Chargers Will Be Strong With Philip Rivers

The overwhelming thought process heading into this 2006 season is that San Diego may stagger somewhat because quarterback Drew Brees has moved on to New Orleans and new starting quarterback Phillip Rivers hasn't proven anything yet. I won't be lumped in that bunch, and I suspect that before long we're going to have a whole host of media bandwagon jumpers that will be telling us all how strong the Chargers will be with Rivers at the helm.

It truly doesn't take long for people to forget, but very late last season every talking head was telling the football world how nobody in the AFC wanted anything to do with San Diego in a playoff setting. I believed that at the time, and I think it was a correct assumption on everyone's part. The Chargers were powerful on both sides of the line and their offense was very diverse. The offensive line opened enough holes for the rushing game to average a stellar 4.5 yards per carry. The suspect group was the secondary, but the Chargers were able to cope with that as they came down the stretch. Some even thought this was not just a playoff team, but the best team the AFC had to offer as a Super Bowl entrant. Alas, San Diego got in its own way one time too many, and it was eliminated from the 2005 playoff chase.

However, this season the Chargers have been downgraded in most analysts' assumptions. Since the only major change in this team is at quarterback, everyone's concern must be with Rivers.

I've been a proponent of Rivers since his first game as a freshman for N.C. State. I thought Rivers was the best quarterback of his class (better than Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger). Rivers now has his chance to shine...

Click here to see the entire article

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Rivers will have INTs during the year, the ball will be stripped. That is normal, happens to the best QBs. We will be fine with him.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Agreed! Special teams out right lost us the eagles game last season. McCree should be the starter, however I thought Jue played well last season before he was injured.

At least all those you mentioned can turn their heads!:lol:

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Yeah, i'm not impressed with Kiel. Nice to have a safety with range who actually runs to the sideline and doesn't hang other defenders out to dry. Love the INT by McCree.

Philip had one bad throw, and he was inches away from completing a 30 yard pass downfield to Krause. I think he'll be fine. Leander Jordan on the other hand, needs to ride the pine. He has shown me nothing. My guess is McNeill and Olivea will start the next game.

With the exception of Jordan, I think our O-line played well against the Bears, especially since Marty said we did not scheme for their blitzes.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    I thought Rivers did well with the pressure he was under. The OL was like swiss cheese on the outsides. Didn't help matters that Chi went into that game preparing as if it were a regular season game and we did not. It was very good for Rivers to see one of the top Ds in the league bring their A game and not the standard vanilla D they run in the preseson.

Smith was very unhappy with the effort the Bears made vs the 9ers and I am sure everyone felt that during practice. It sure showed by the intensity of the Bears players.

On the safeties, I would like to see McCree at FS and Hart at SS to start the next game.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,883

I could LIVE wiht Mcree and Jue but I'd MUCH RATHER PREFER Mcree and Hart

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +852
    From ESPN

8. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Nice post I mostly agree.. but aren't we missing our starting LT at the moment? That's a pretty big difference from last year wouldnt you say?

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Not with Michael Turner in the game.

10. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yep. He'll make mistakes, but that's the way football is. Rivers will deal with it, learn and move on. I think it's crazy to expect him to be perfect. Or anyone else for that matter. Plays will be made and plays will be missed. But the bottom line is, he will win more than he loses. And I can be happy with that.

for now...

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was not particulary impressed with him saying he thought he could squeeze the ball in there after the INT because when he released it I was screaming "NOOooooooo" .........

I was thinking squeeze what? :icon_huh:

Urlacher was right there as if Rivers did not even see him versus squeezing anything.

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I totally agree but after the INT philip was not shaken or anything he just calmly went back to business and it did not bother him in the least and if he Philip Rivers were in there the whole game then I think that we would have won the game and the San Diego Chargers in (this does not count for anything) Preseaon we would be 2-0 instead of 1-1 as our record.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Urlacher broke in front of Gates. He had to extend fully to pick off that pass. I don't think Urlacher was right there when Philip threw it. But the dude is quicker than Rivers gave him credit for.

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Probably not the smartest thing to say, or do, but...

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    If you saw my posts from last year, you might be needing a shock cart at the fact I am saying we will be find with PR!:tup:

16. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Were you anti-Rivers and pro-Brees?

I mean, if I had things my way, I'd have prefered to stay with Drew. Honestly though, I haven't seen enough to make up my mind on Rivers. I don't know jack about college ball, so I've only seen PR in the preseason and the 2 games he's played. But I'm reasonbly comfortable with him and the team, so I'm feeling like he has a real good shot at being successfull. We'll see:icon_shrug:

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how on earth PR thought he was going to squeeze it in there. It looked to me more like he totally committed to throwing that pass before the snap and simply ignored or didn't see Urlacher. I don't think Urlacher made all that great a play, other than being in the right spot. He was probably shocked PR threw the ball at all...

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think I'd feel a bit more relaxed right now if we had kept DB, but having been to a few practices and watched PR work, I'm confident he'll be better than Drew in the long-run. Right now? Probably not. But I believe history will eventually reflect it was the best decision.