1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The season for optimism

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn right it is. No whining allowed ....yet. ;)

Chargers optimistic, but so is everyone else

Turner talks standouts from offseason workout program

[​IMG]
    Chargers coach Norv Turner during practice on the first day of mini-camp on Tuesday, June 19, 2012. — K.C. Alfred
    [​IMG]
    Written by

Michael Gehlken

9:44 p.m., June 21, 2012

If the NFL had a season for optimism, this is it.
    In June, every team has a chance. Every team is coming together.
    At Chargers Park, it's been no different.
    San Diego wrapped up minicamp Thursday with its fifth practice in three days. A month-long break is next before structured activities resume with training camp next month.
    Chargers rookies are scheduled to report July 22. Veterans report three days later, and the first full-squad practice is set for July 26.
    Coach Norv Turner said he likes what occurred during the nine-week offseason workout program that ended Thursday, but that's not what this offseason is all about.
    "Right now, if any one of the 32 teams isn't excited about what they're doing," Turner said, "you've got something wrong. Our goal and what we're going to get done is sustain that excitement and energy. We're going to continue to grow and get better."
    On Thursday, he reminded the players what lies ahead.
    He said the grind begins when they return. He told them they'll have to work harder than other teams to come together, given the number of new faces on the roster.
    But, in the spirit of June, Turner also singled out those who've stood out.
    Of the returners on offense, the left side of the line between tackle Jared Gaither and guard Tyronne Green is building chemistry. Right guard Louis Vasquez has made substantial strides with an "outstanding" offseason, Turner said.
    Running back Ryan Mathews' improvement over this offseason has been no secret, but it only continued at minicamp.
    "l told our guys, I don't have to, but if I listed 10 guys who have been outstanding," Turner said, "and probably have had their best camp that I'm aware of, (Antonio) Gates falls in that category. Ryan is in that category. Philip Rivers is in that category. He's still been here (at the team facility) more days probably more than any other guy on the team."
    On defense, Turner filed safety Eric Weddle with the group, too.
    Young defensive ends Corey Liuget and Vaughn Martin are continuing to grow. Outside linebacker Shaun Phillips had a "great camp," Turner said, and inside linebacker Donald Butler has built upon his first full NFL season.
    Then there's all the newcomer veterans — outside linebacker Jarret Johnson, safety Atari Bigby, wide receivers Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem, fullback Le'Ron McClain — who've appeared poised to embrace significant roles.
    Ah, optimism.
    It's so easy this time of the year.
    "We've got an awful lot done," Turner said. "We've got an awful lot of work to do. We've had 15 practices (the past four weeks). Well, we'll get 15 practices in the first 10 days of camp. ...
    "Every time we're out there working together, we'll continue to develop what everyone's talking about: Develop that chemistry and that feel for playing together."

LeBron got his. Maybe this is the Chargers' year. :abq1:

2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Norv is eloquent in his speech. My favorite quote is "He's still been here more days probably more than any other guy on the team."
    Gehlken's last job was as a fluffer. His skill-set has carried over seamlessly to his current job as a writer.
    This is a candidate for Article of the Year.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Why are your posts pushed to the right side? Just curious

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm cautiously optimistic with the expectation that my optimism will be crushed by the harshness of reality. I remember after 2004 Feeling like the Chargers were for sure going to win the Superbowl. I think I lost that feeling after the 2010 season.

5. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    A huge mystery as it would appear.​

6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    You sound like you actually enjoy being bemoaned as a Chargers fan. Sort of like the guy at the sidelines of a high school dance... resigned to spending the late evening pulling his own wire. :D

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    ?

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I always see the glass as fempty every day of the year, just one of those things!:cool:

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    The glass is just half.

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I know, it's weird​

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    It's called the Copy & Paste Formatting Blues
    Wrote a song about it.......... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm gonna enjoy our being undefeated for as long as I possibly can gosh darnit!

:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  14. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Winning it all would rock but I'm not holding my breath, after the last 2 years I'd be happy with a division win

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    LeBron got his, now it's our turn.

My posts are back to the left - as I prefer. ;)

16. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Gosh darnit? The Philip Rivers vernacular strikes again!

• Agree Agree x 1