1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The team that complains about blackouts....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Love to see that the Chargers keep putting out calls to their fans to buy tickets, to keep the stadium home friendly, to help keep them here in San Diego, thats the same team that has the 8th highest average ticket prices and some of the most expensive food and merchandise in the league. How's about the Spanos's and their smaller market team cuts prices and gives better deals. Betcha that will sell tickets.

https://www.teammarketing.com/public/files/2010_NFL_FCI.pdf

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I wonder how those ticket prices/concession costs compare to the cost of living in the areas where the teams play. I'd imagine that's why it's more expensive here - everything is more expensive here. Gas, Milk, Taxes...

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Yep...as a rule (except for recent Super Bowl winners like Indy & Green Bay) the highest prices
    are virtually always in the cities with higher cost of living. (In 2011, the two NY teams were #1 & #4)
    Also, the "8th highest" figure is 2010...I believe it dropped to 10th in 2011, and (though I can't find today's new #s)
    lower yet in 2012. And places at the bottom, like Cleveland, have low cost of living, plus lack of a Gates, & Rivers, etc.

(p.s. On gas: I just did a cross country tour...average gas price was about $3.39...as low as $3.05)

4. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Dear $3.00/gallon gasoline prices,

I miss you. I'm sorry I ever said bad things about you. Please come back.

xoxo

- Me

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Syd, gas in
    Gas in Italy was 1.80 Euro / Liter when I was there mid-August. That's around $8.50/gallon. Crazy stuff.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Yes, but in American cities, my truck gets about 17 miles per gallon.
    In Europe, I get about 17 countries per gallon. :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504

I understand the argument about cost of living for an area adjusting ticket prices, but that comes down to what the market will handle, and 1 blackout is 1 too many, and there are way too many fans of other teams in my stadium (And yes I understand we are a transplant city). Lower the prices and do more for you season ticket holders and more people will buy tickets, keep those tickets instead of selling them to opposing teams fans, and maybe even a few ill convert from the teams they left and adopt their new towns team, the San Diego Super Chargers!

8. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    When our favoritE players hold out they tell us football is a business. When our team will not pay our favorite players they say football is a business. In business if your product does not sell you may need to re evaluate 1) the product, 2) the price, and 3) your marketing strategy. Have you noticed that whenever we see a game in NY they have pre game or halftime shows/concerts, the Chargers will not even pay $75 to have a guy throw frisbees to his dog at halftime. Not even a halftime show during playoff games. How many billboards do the Chargers have around town? My season ticket seats in plaza 21 have speakers above my head, but no sound from them for the last three years, I know it is an old stadium but it is a speaker with two wires going into it. I can't hear the refs or the PA at all. The TVs above my head are the model I bought for my son's room in 1982. With the way they control the flow of traffic into the parking lot the last few years getting in with a car is miserable. I have a hard time sympathizing with an organization that seems to put so little effort into making the experience better for the family. How do they expect to get the casual fan to leave their big screen tv and couch for what is being offered in Qualcomm? Win or lose, Norv or not I will support my team, but I definitely understand why the average fan would not.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Gas, milk (inc soy quasi-milk), and taxes are necessities (no matter what the Libertarians say) . Football isn't. The Chargers can justify their prices all they like, but the proof is in the pudding (and the phone calls begging people to buy tix).

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    An interesting tidbit on that chart is the difference between the average ticket price and the premium ticket price. The Chargers are charging $6.92 above the league ticket average, but are charging $68.94 less for premium tickets. So, they stick it to the average fan, in order to give a discount to their wealthier clients.

How shocking coming from the Spanos family. :rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807

I definitely see your point, however, the Chargers don't own the stadium, they rent. Their landlord (City of SD) is dumping just enough money (~$10M/yr IIRC) into the facility to keep it legally functional. Sadly though, reality is no one is going to put improvements into our beloved concrete relic. It's a bad business decision to throw good money after bad and no amount of sell-outs would make the duck tape and flat screens needed to satisfy the fans worth it.

I'm all for lower ticket/concession/parking prices (and working speakers/improved technology) but it's not gonna happen. About the best we can expect is for the prices to stay the same (which they have for a few years now). And pray that when we get our new stadium, it doesn't come with PSL's.

12. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    You know what jumps out to me on that chart? (Other than our cheap 'premium tickets.) Check out the huge price increase for the NY teams. Giants win the SB, and their prices jump 26% while the Jets jump 31%! Can you imagine buying those expensive seat licenses a couple years ago only to have your yearly cost jump over 25%! Jeeze I'd be pissed.

13. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Which takes me back to saying the Spanos's need to step up and do more for the season ticket holders. I'll bring it up again, but the Chiefs just gave every season ticket holder (minimum 2 seats) a free new nike jersey with their name on the back. Things like that bring a fan group together, get the right color shoing up in our stadium, and bring added value to our #8 priced average seats. Just saying there are many ways for them to bring us value without fixing/upgrading the stadium.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Absolutely shocking. Is the difference still going into Rick Perry's war chest? :roflmao:

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think they're giving a discount, so much as selling the product for what it's worth. The Colts, Patriots, NYG/J, and Cowboys all have recently built stadia. The Bears had a refit done on Soldier field, the Skins renovated FedEx in 2010, and the Bank is one of the nicest stadia in the league, and both FedEx and the Bank opened in the last 15 years. These teams can charge more money for premium seats because there's actually a substantial difference in the quality of the game experience from those seats, as opposed to the difference in quality between our "regular" and "premium" seats, which is comparatively lacking.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    You beat me to it. Most of the "premium" seats around the league were specially designed
    for a high end experience. The Chargers had to retrofit a "Gold" section out of seats that often aren't
    as good (for actual game viewing) as seats that cost about 1/3 as much. Yes, if you're turned on by a carpeted
    lounge for before kickoff, or just dig conspicuous consumption, you may be eager to buy Club seats.
    For my money, I'd much rather sit in Field or Plaza, and be closer to the action.
    (so, my point is that I think the difference between regular & premium at the Q is actually too much...not too little)

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Libertarians don't think that taxes aren't a necessity, just that the Federal Government doesn't need to have expenditures that are 1/4 of our GDP, and that the government doesn't need to legislate away your personal freedoms.

18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I certainly agree with the latter. The former invokes grey area observations that vary depending upon the Libertarian. Perhaps the Libertarians here in Colorado are more conservative than those in California (or Germany)...

19. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449

The Chargers have also added (seats) sections in the Family section @ $54.00 a seat and lowered the Endzone View seats to $68.00 from $79.00. the past few years.

The same $98.00 field seat at the Q is $74.00 bucks for a 49er game...:eek:
    This is after the 49ers raised prices over 8%

20. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Guys, relax. Week 15 will be the last Chargers game anyway. Better enjoy what football we have left.

Living the Mayan dream! ;)

21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Read this as Texas being more expensive in San Diego

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    As a lifelong (well, adult life, anyway) libertarian, I can comfortably assert that there's virtually
    nothing consistent about the breed, be they in Colorado, Germany or California. In fact, many
    older, fat white males, who are simply cranky and can't get along with anyone, frequently decide to
    start calling themselves "libertarian." I remember having a sad interaction with such an elderly
    chimp one day (on the old, UT site) who kept telling me that I really could not be a libertarian.
    Finally, I got him to disclose how he "knew" such a ridiculous thing:
    "You're nothing like Glenn Beck!" he declared. :cry:
    Well...got me there...I'm a sentient, contemplative being with too much education...who non-fanatically
    embraces small government (without irrationally vilifying gov), free markets (without pretending they're "magic"),
    and the vision of most of the founders (with 85% less slavery, etc.). And I believe in thinking twice before
    imposing America's will (and carelessly endangering our soldiers) with every war opportunity that presents itself.

And as for "legislating away your personal freedoms," yes, opposition to that usually is a trait of most
    true libertarians...but even the best known--like Ron Paul--are opportunistically flexible on this: he believes that
    the government is incompetent re. stabilizing the economy, but ideal for dictating to women about their bodies.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Are you trying to screw up a fine ranty narrative with all these picky facts?

24. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    There are a bunch of teams with tickets for $25-$40. Giving Family Section and enzone view a small decrease in price doesnt even compare. It's like when Nordstroms has a sale and your only paying 30% more than other stores. And yes the 49ers have even cheaper tickets, but to be honest, Candlestick makes the Q seem like a palace. And their newe stadium will be done soon and I'm sure tickets will go up.

25. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    My only point was that those two areas helped lower the Chargers agv seat price compared to what the Chargers were charging....

My 1st year as a season ticket holder I paid $79 a seat for the last row in view 26, they are now $68

50 yard line seats for Press / Field / Plaza / Loge are $98 endzone seats for Press / Field / Plaza / Loge are $98

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I was at PNC Park in Pittsburgh this summer, and paid about $36 for a great seat
    that was roughly equivalent to a seat I paid $203 for at AT&T Park in San Francisco.

27. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Did you send that individual into societal exile in the middle of a furnace?

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I'm gonna confess that I'm probably missing a reference here (?!?) :confused:

But, at any rate, that was about the time that UT required posters to be Twits (tweeters?) or somesuch,
    and I bailed...I'm on The unSocial Network. (and that's how y'all got stuck w/ me, 11 months ago!) :abq2:

29. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    No reference. That person is just not fit to be living in society with that rationale. Glenn Beck can go there as well.

30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Yay! Maybe I'm not quite as unhip as I generally assume!