1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The time to start Mathews is now

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Oct 10, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    There are multiple reasons we should start Mathews over Tolbert vs the rams next week.

1. He clearly outplayed Tolbert today and had 59 yds on 9 attempts (over 6 yards a carry) while Tolbert had 11 yards on 12 attempts (less than a yard per carry). When Tolbert was in the game, he got no where (excluding that touchdown that even Sproles could've ran in). When Mathews was put in the game, he busted off long runs. I remember in the 3rd quarter he got put in and busted a 10yd run down the sideline and the very next play was the Floyd td (because the D was actually worried about the run.. also they blew the coverage). I'm not saying Tolbert is a bad player he just needs to be utilized correctly.

2. The rams defense gave up 44 points to the lions. If Mathews pulls off a big game (which will be the likely case if he gets more carries), he will get into a rhythm before we face our tougher opponents.

3. We drafted him for a reason and that reason was to run over and around defenses. I'm sure by this week he will be fully healthy and ready to go, so let him earn his money. Let him build his confidence up.

4. With Mathews getting the bulk of the carries, Tolbert can go back to playing special teams and covering kicks, which will help.

He is ready. IMO he deserves the starting spot. Of course Tolbert should still be involved but Mathews needs to be our star RB. The time to start him is now

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I agreed 1000000000000000%. Kid was drafted for a reason, start his ***.

Man, Norv is like a kid with OCD who can sometimes get too fixated on one particular thing that he cannot see the forest for the trees. Like running that gatdamn delay to Sproles (YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE WITH THAT CRAP ANYMORE NORV, ****!), or sticking with Tolbert/Sproles when RM is CLEARLY having the best day @ RB, continuing to use Sproles for anything other than a waterboy, ect.

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is the primary reason why Norv must be fired. He does not change things up what so ever. He definitely needs to put Mathews in at Starting RB but he will not. Norv is too stuck on his OCD ways and will squander the Talent that Mathews brings.

Just my opinion.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Is he healthy?

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I hope he gets started next week. But people need to realize that if Mathews has a bad game. We shouldn't be screaming for Tolbert or Sproles to start and then the following week if Tolbert and Sporles have a bad game we demand we start Mathews.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    LOL, NO ONE is gonna scream for Sproles to do anything beside ******* the **** off.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I'm still a bit concerned about how 24 holds the ball and runs v upright but right now, there is no discussion. The guy brings a whole new dimension with his speed, moves and burst. Get him in the game.

8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I agree. Put him in. I also understand why norv is playing him only a little. He wants him to be healthy and fresh for post season so he doesn't get mangina syndrome like LT and screw us by being injured when we need him most. That said, it won't matter if we keep losing bc we won't make the playoffs at all. Put him in!

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    If he's healthy he needs to be getting 80% of the snaps.

Dude is special, I've been saying it since last November.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv is saving him for the playoffs.

:eyebrow:

11. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    A little over 25 years ago or so there was a similar knock on a hotshot rookie running back...his name was Eric Dickerson. We all know how that one turned out.

I'm not espousing that RM is Hallbound, but the kid looked strong yesterday. Frankly we should have seen more of him assuming that he was healthy enough to give it a go.

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    [​IMG]

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

14. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm actually surprised by the RM situation. They said last week his psyche was in question. I think he runs with ability, just needs more touches and a HC that will continue to grind with him even if he makes a couple mistakes.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I love how everything is Norv's fault. Mathews is not getting full reps in practice because of his sore ankle. This makes it difficult for him to start. There's more to playing RB than running the rock. You have to understand pass protections. I think the coaches feel that in order for Mathews to be able to get the protection right and pick up blitzes so Rivers does not get killed, he needs to get full reps in practice. He has not been doing it, but as Norv said in his presser, Mathews will be the starter as soon as he is able to log some more practice time.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Nobody said his psyche was in question. That was you misinterpreting a remark from a journalist.

17. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Why is he not ready? Week 6 into the season and he cant read blitzes? I dont buy it.

They are worried their #1 draft pic might once again look like a #2 or 3. There is more to this situation that just the RB position. This is about promises made and vets let go. Week 1 Norv had a chance to build the young rookies confidence when we were 1st and goal from the 3 yard line. Instead Norv chose a draw with sproles and 3 pass plays. If you werent protecting an image you wouldnt worry about protecting the players. Rookies need to play through mistakes. Especially RB's that were drafted to be here long term. Only playing time is going to help RM.

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Please quote the remark and show me how I was misinterpreting it. Try adding some evidence with your dramatics.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    He had 6 yards per carry for the 2nd week in a row. How does that make him look like a #2 or #3? Do you watch football?

It takes more than 4 games as a rookie for a player to be fully up to speed with the playbook. Missing practice time does not help.

You seem to think that AJ and Norv sit in a room and say, "Jeez I'm really worried what some douche on a message board says about our players. If RM struggles, Light em up might say he's a bust, so we better bring him along slow because if he does not look like a #1 back we are going to be criticized."

20. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This must be the shining example of debate you all demand I elevate to? You dont make a single good point by the way. You also jump to conclusions and make a lot of **** up, then when you get called out you cant back it up.

The Chargers might be the only team that knows their rookies will not make an immediate impact. We EXPECT them to take a year, 2 or 3 years to finally get somewhere. Sorry I believed the hype the Chargers were putting out when they traded up to get this kid. I see by your def. he's another project late bloomer.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    What was dramatic about saying you misinterpreted it? You want to talk drama queen, how about you completely losing your mind and screaming "OH MY GODS, NOW OUR RB HAS PSYCHE PROBLEMS? THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING."

This is all Acee said about Mathews last week, "The Chargers are being cautious both with Mathews' ankle and his psyche." You take that to mean he has psyche problems. I take it to mean that the coaches are making sure their rookie RB is feeling completely confident after the injury and the fumbles. The last thing you want is a young player pressing to make a play because he's had an injury and a couple mistakes. No one said anything about "psyche problems." Did you read the article the next day that talked of how, despite his early season struggles, his teammates see greatness in him?

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't make a single good point? Did you even read my post? I never said RM was a late-bloomer. I never said that he would not make an immediate impact. He already has. The fact that they are bringing him back slowly after an injury does not mean RM has not made an impact. He has averaged 6 yards per carry for the second week in a row. You said that the Chargers did not start him because they are afraid of their #1 looking like a #2 or a #3. That's ridiculous. They don't sit around worrying about what people on the outside might think about the team. They make the moves they think are best. Whether or not they are is certainly open for debate. But to act as if they are just trying to cover their azzes is stupid.

Your posts are borderline incoherent, so I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. Do you think Mathews is a bust? Do you think he was not worth the trade? Answer those simple questions. You imply that you think he's one more AJ mistake, but you don't just come out and say it. State an opinion. Make a prediction on what you think RM will do.

I think RM had a very good game yesterday, and he's only going to get better. I predict by the end of the year he will be in strong contention for offensive rookie of the year honors. The kid has already shown that he is special.

23. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    So the journalist says they are worried about his psyche. I say they are worried about his psyche and I'm COMPLETELY OFF BASE and JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS? Holy crap man. You couldnt be more obvious with your antics. I said exactly what they said. You dont like it, talk to the journalist. What you make up is quite different than what they said in plain english. I didnt need to think, I quoted. Meanwhile you again make up your own reality to fit your argument.

Your attempts to call me out are weak. Let someone with more substance take on the challenge.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    No, what you said is that he had "psyche problems." The article did not state that. Being concerned that a rookie might have had his confidence shaken by a couple early fumbles and an injury, does not mean he has "psyche problems." It means the coaches are trying to build his confidence so that they can put him in the best position to succeed. I'm done with your girlish antics. I'm putting you on ignore. Best of luck with the rest of your life, douchebag.

25. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Thats right. Back outta here before you make yourself look more stupid.

If it was confidence problems they would have said that. They said Psyche. So if I said psyche, I didnt make up my own word, I chose the word THEY USED. YOUR THE ONE using "confidence problems".

Nice try though. kinda.

26. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't mean to interrupt your dick measuring contest, but.....
    The only reason the coaches aren't playing Mathews that much is because they are being cautious with the ankle. Yet I think the way he played this week and last week are enough to convince them to give him more reps. He will only get better with more reps and our team will only get better with him getting more reps. We need to start him already.

27. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Dont lump me into that idiots comments. I was just defending myself again because this poster couldnt argue the point I made he had to talk ****.

I agree with your assesment to a degree. The teams journalist said there were psyche problems. Since he is obviously healthy enough to run that leads me to believe there is something else wrong.

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Actually, BSBB doesnt look stupid at all.

Jes Sayin...

Actually the guy who is taking everythig to extreems looks... Well.... Emotionally over-wrought at best....

29. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Weakness protecting weakness. Gotta love it. There was no reason for your lame *** to get involved. Was there? Probably best to keep your uneducated biased opinions to yourself unless your talking Charger football. Pick another poster to pick on. Good job as a moderator, moderating, by the way. You suck at it.

30. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    What was wrong was the ankle and the elbow (he was limited in practice on friday because of the ankle). Yet Sunday proved that he is good to go. Plus he will heal more during this week so I don't see why they wouldn't play him. Maybe it's because Tolbert was doing so well they thought he'd continue and they were still cautious with Mathews ankle.... But come next week, there won't be any reason to not start Mathews