1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The truth revealed about Eli

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Jun 28, 2016.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Archie Manning gives details on why Eli refused to play for the Chargersby John Breech15h ago • 3 min read
    It's been 12 years since the San Diego Chargers made Eli Manning the No. 1 overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, and to this day, not much is known about why Manning refused to play in San Diego.
    Just days before the draft, Manning's agent Tom Condon, toldthe Chargers that Eli would sit outthe entire 2004 season if the team drafted him with the first overall pick.
    At the time, former Chargers general manager A.J. Smith partly blamed Eli's dad, Archie Manning, for the mess.
    "[Condon] told me that Archie wishes that we do not select Eli and that they think he would be a good fit in New York (with the Giants)," Smith said in 2004, via the San Diego Union Tribune. "We understand his position and certainly understand his interest in New York, but we will do what we think is the best for the franchise."
    There were a lot of theories on why Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers. The Union-Tribunereported that the Manning camp didn't want Eli's career to end up like Archie's. The elder Manning spent 11 years in New Orleans and never had a winning record with the team.
    Going into 2004, the Chargers were on an ugly run and had only put together a total of four winning seasons since 1983.
    Although Archie has long been viewed as one of the main instigators in Eli's decision, he recently disputed that notion. In an interview with the Rich Eisen Show, Archie said he had nothing to do with Eli's threat to sit out the season if the Chargers drafted him.
    "It was a decision that Eli and Tom Condon kind of made, but Eli ultimately pulled the trigger on that and that's what he, doing his due diligence, decided to do," Archie Manning said. "I can't say it was pleasant from our end. Most people thought I orchestrated it, but I didn't. I don't tell my kids what to do or make their decisions."
    In Archie's version of the story, Eli came to him for advice, but never asked him directly what he should do.
    "It's a tough deal. It's hard. That was the only thing I told Eli when he told me he was going to do that," Archie said. "Think about it hard. If that's your conviction and what you want to do, then that's fine, and that's what he did."
    In the end, the Chargers would end up drafting Eli with the No. 1 overall pick and trading him to the Giants. However, before the trade went down, Eli had to pose for what will likely go down as the most awkward draft day photo in NFL history.

Things got so awkward before the Giants trade went down that Eli actually said he would rather go to law school than play for the Chargers.
    In the end, the trade did go down and everyone came out a winner, according to Archie. Eli went to New York and the Chargers came away with Philip Rivers plus several draft picks.
    "I think everybody came out good on the deal," Archie said. "The Chargers sure got a mighty good quarterback that day. Eli's happy in New York."
    The truth is that we may not ever know why Eli refused to play for the Chargers and that's mainly because it doesn't sound like he's ever going to tell us.
    In 2013, before the Giants played in San Diego, Eli was asked why he didn't want to play for the Chargers.
    His answer?
    "I forgot."
    It's been theorized that the Manning camp didn't like the way the Chargers handled quarterbacks -- Drew Brees had a rough first two seasons in San Diego, and that came after the Ryan Leaf debacle. There's also the possibility that Condon thought the Chargers wouldn't be a good fit. At the time, Condon represented the Chargers coach (Marty Schottenheimer), quarterback (Brees) and running back (LaDainian Tomlinson).
    Ironically enough, the Chargers are one of only three teams that Eli Manning has never beaten in his career, along with the Colts and the Giants.

Suck on that eli you'll probably never get a W over any Chargers team. Thanks karma.

Jus the name Tom Condon says it all in 2004. He didn't want all his golden eggs in on wet wicker basket that was then the Chargers.

I'd link the cbs site but it's not letting me? CBS.com sucks on mobile.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. The Nose

The Nose Member

Ratings:
    +16

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I love the fact that every time she's played us she has come out on the losing end. That is Karma for you baby.

(the she is intentional)

4. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Last time we played that chump and was asked "why he didn't want to play for Chargers" his response "I really don't remember"

5. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Any single player who thinks he's bigger than the league, doesnt need to follow the established rules, who thinks he can control who drafts him is a giant douchebag. Dump Elway in with Eli on that one too. The design of the draft is to give the worst teams the shot at the best players thus bringing those teams back out of the gutter and making them respectable. It's why the NFL has the best parity of any major sport. Eli can suck a dick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Thread title: The Truth Revealed about Eli

Quote within the article: "The truth is that we may not ever know why Eli refused to play for the Chargers and that's mainly because it doesn't sound like he's ever going to tell us."

:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Eli is a douche-nozzle. That is all...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Speak the truth.

Maybe cuz I'm too young but Eli is by far my most hated qb even over the nameless zero.

Oj and Tyson rank higher than eli.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    One of the best nights ever to be a Chargers fan, especially in the stadium. The booing was RELENTLESS.
    Never forget.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I still believe it was all about playing in New York, and never had anything to do with the Chargers except that they were at #1 and that's who they had to sh*t on to get their way. It angers me that the Football Gods allowed Assante Samuel to drop the ball giving ECry his first win and undeserved MVP. And then allowing Kyle Williams to puke the ball up twice in the NFC Championship to even allow ECry another shot at it, THEN Wes Welker's drop to give him a second one.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Nah dude, 18-1 was worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I don't have a problem with Elisha Womanning. We got PR 17, yes no SB yet, not sure Sheli would have won here with the Spanos Buffoons in charge. While the Giants had great defenses, Sheli did ball once the playoffs started in both SB wins. There I said it! :cautious:

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Can't agree. I will always detest ECry
    Because it was a manufactured reason to cover that it was all about being in New York so he could get those lucrative Oreo lick racing commercials.

F*ck all the Mannings, even the mom and the brother that doesn't play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    No, 18-1 was definitely worth it.

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm fine with the Giants winning two SBs with Eli because I get to add Eli to my list of examples of why you can't just blindly count rings when arguing who is better than who at the QB position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Amen.
    And a step further: Those that absurdly argued that Eli had somehow bested Peyton's stellar career because
    of the 2 rings to 1 anomaly, had to concede that PM tying the score in Feb. was absolutely meaningless:
    the Broncos could've got those 5 passing 1st downs (in SB 50) from Zach Mettenberger and won that ring...
    I give Eli credit for playing better than his usual in those big games...but he is still a career 83.5 passer rating guy
    (compared to PR's 95.5...this is not a minor difference over the course of 5 or 6 thousand attempted passes...)

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Archie was one of a very long list of guys who was a great college quarterback, but was average at best in the pros. He played for 10 seasons in New Orleans, and never achieved a winning record in any of them. (9 losing seasons & an 8-8)

He threw more career interceptions than he did touchdowns, and never reached the postseason. People can blame the lousy Saints teams he played on for his pedestrian stats, but he also played for the Vikings & Oilers, but didn't fare better with either of them. When he retired after 13 seasons, he left having never played on a team that made the playoffs, or even achieved a winning record. His record as a starting QB in the NFL was the worst in history among quarterbacks with at least 100 starts. His peers that were on bad teams could manage to improve their respective teams' fortunes, but he never could - this is a similarity that her shares with his youngest son. Peyton could put a bad team on his back and still achieve success, but Eli never has.

18. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Eli can put a good team on his back and sink into the mud. :D

19. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    :poop:li is much worse than Rivers. There is no way he would have won had he been in San Diego.

Look at what the two QBs have done:

Philip Rivers 164 GP, 3,462-5,339, 64.8%, 41,447 YDS, 7.76 YPA, 281 TDs, 135 INTs, 95.5 QB Rating
    :poop:li Manning 185 GP, 3,695-6,227, 59.3%, 44,191 YDS, 7.10 YPA, 294 TDs, 199 INTs, 83.5 QB Rating

Per pass thrown, Rivers is much better across the board. That is, if you gave Rivers the extra 21 games that Eli has had, Rivers' total yards and TDs would be much higher than Eli's, while his INTs would be much lower. His completion percentage and QB rating would, of course, remain higher.

Swapping out a better player for a worse one would not have improved the team.

Also, as to :poop:li's playoff runs, :poop:li did not have a single 300 yard passing game or 3 TD passing game in the playoffs at the end of the 2007 season. He had zero TDs against GB in a game that went to OT. He was on his way to the one of the worst SB performances ever by a QB until he got a helmet catch and a TD pass to a WR so wide open that any decent high school QB would have completed the pass.

In the Giants 2011 playoff run, his stats were better. But he played against the #16, #20, #31 and #32 ranked pass defenses. Even then, it took :poop:li 58 pass attempts to put up 316 yards, a pathetic 5.4 YPA, in an overtime win against the #16 ranked 49ers pass defense.

Jim Plunkett may have two Super Bowl rings, but I wouldn't take him over Dan Fouts. It is the same thing here. One player (Fouts) was the much better player as Rivers is here. The other player (Plunkett) played on the better team at the time of the playoffs just as :poop:li has here.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    IMO, you have hit on the stupidest argument in all of sports (blind counting of SB rings) which is highlighted by the following discussion between a rational person (RP) and a Giants fan (GF):

RP: Hey, let's talk about some player comparisons between some recent Giants and Chargers players/former players.
    GF: Okay.
    RP: So, who was/is better between any recent Giants SB RB and LaDainian Tomlinson?
    GF: Tomlinson, of course.
    RP: Why?
    GF: Because his stats show he is better.
    RP: So, who is better, Antonio Gates or any recent Giants SB TE?
    GF: Gates, of course.
    GF: Because his stats show he is better.
    RP: Okay, who is better, Philip Rivers or Eli Manning?
    GF: Eli Manning is, of course.
    GF: He has two rings.
    RP: But don't Rivers' stats show he is better just as Tomlinson's and Gates' stats showed they were/are better?
    GF: Stats don't matter because Eli has two rings.

I am not sure which is more pathetic--the inconsistency or that Giants fans can't seem to see/understand the inconsistency.

• Like Like x 1