1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Turk is on the way!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This is not an article about urban legends like the Bunnyman, or a tale of horror where in a darkened room you call out Candyman three times and a murderous spirit appears behind you to end your life in some brutally graphic manner. This is not even about the latest Hollywood flick where some ordinary looking Joe with an instrument of death comes out of no where to play havoc on the standard American family in Suburbiaville USA.

No this is about the figure that haunts NFL locker rooms every year form mid August to early September. This is about the Turk. The horrifying figure that is responsible for players to disappearing from NFL Rosters from sea to shining sea. Many of us will never know the dread that his visitations bring but many a young player has found out… the hard way.

The month of August winds down and the Turk goes hunting:
    Lets face it, the Chargers entered the preseason as arguable the most ‘set’ team from a standpoint of having it’s roster set and ready to go. The competition this preseason has been for back up spots, nickel position or filling in for injured or suspended stars. There were very few starting rolls which could have been considered up for grabs. This makes the Turk’s (*1) task of hunting down the players who are to be cut a little easier, but by no means an easy one.

But let’s not be hasty. Year in and year out, AJ Smith has managed to find diamonds in the rough, to bring in talent that not only makes the team better but pushes the other players to themselves play better, anyone ever hear of the undrafted free agent Antonio Gates? Let’s face it, while there is little noise in the off season about the Chargers roster moves, that is a good thing for the fans. This team does not and will not settle for mediocrity at any position. This is something they have not had to with AJ Smith at the helm.

The time of year is quickly approaching again in which professional football player will be caught looking over their shoulder to see if the shadow looming over them is the dreaded Turk, or a lineman with a rolled up wet towel ready to snap. Some will feel the cold presence pass them by, a mere specter that none want to acknowledge. Others will get the dreaded message “The Coach wants to see you, being your playbook.” as the scimitar cuts their hearts out with surgical precision. In some cases the dream of playing in the National Football League is ended for good as the Turk looks on with the cold and steady stare.

There will be possibly one or two surprising cuts; however the Chargers are one of the favored teams to make the Superbowl in 2008. Consistency in the roster is one reason many people give for this.

The Chargers enter their second year under Head Coach Norv turner, with a coaching staff that is largely intact from last season. Charlie joiner joins the team in the role or Wide Receiver Coach; Joiner has been hired to serve as the team’s wide receivers coach and is the Chargers’ all-time leading receiver. This is Joiner’s second stint as a Chargers’ Wide Receiver coach, he also served in that capacity from 1987-91. It is not often that the Turk finds a Coach in his cross hairs, but that is exactly what happened this off season as the Chargers went a ‘different direction’ and let the incumbent Wide Receivers Coach James Lofton go.

The Chargers have had extremely little turnover in their roster of late, creating little room for undrafted free agents, and late round draft choices to find a niche on the roster after September 1st. No the Turk is not going to have an easy task this season, even with so little open roster spots on the Coaches clipboard. He will of course find the stragglers on the outside of the pack, the young players who, though they played well, found themselves in the camp of a team that is as loaded at all positions and has quality depth as the Chargers currently do. Perhaps the Turk might even find a veteran on the outskirts of the pack, near the water cooler, unaware… Or has he already?

Limping along with the team through the off season was veteran Wide Receiver Eric Parker. Eric was found, cut down by the Turk on Wednesday, July 23, 2008. Parker had joined the Chargers in 2002 as an undrafted free agent. In six seasons with the Chargers Parker saw action in 62 games including 40 starts. During those games he caught 187 passes for 2,586 yards and 11 touchdowns. But that was not enough to keep the Turk at bay. Lingering toe issues and the development of young talent left Parker in the Turks bloody sights, a victim of the ever improving San Diego Chargers team.

Last season at this time Players such as Malcom Floyd managed to dodge the deadly scimitar that the Turk wields, this season the Turk might be looking to ensure that Floyd does not escape again. Floyd when on the field played well last season, but came away with only 7 receptions for 97 yards and no touchdowns. Floyd is an athletic receiver with decent speed. He can leap for the ball and has the size to create an effective catching radius. He has problems against man-to-man coverages, and seemingly disappeared after the sixth game of last season, not playing in any of the last 10 games after the bye. This is the type of story that the Turk looks for, in fact the Turk is sometimes aided by the current front office philosophy.

AJ Smith is fond of saying “You’re a Charger one year at a time,” AJ said. “You’re judged off the field, on the field, production and work ethic.” This was after cutting Charger players like Keenan McCardell, Ryan Krause, Terrence Kiel, and Steve Foley in 2007. AJ’s rules do not change from year to year; every one who wears the lightning bolts should remember them well. Those words could foretell the coming of the Turk.

Indeed AJ and staff have shown that everyone is reviewed annually and not one player is above such reviews. But they have been able to build the team to the point that what little turnover occurs is quickly solidified by the time the draft rolls by. Yet another sign of this is the fact that AJ Smith and company can spend draft picks on players such as Antonio Cormarie and give them time to grow until they are ready to start. Cormartie was the Chargers first round draft choice in 2006, he did not start one game that season. However in 2007 Cromartie lead the league in interceptions, and that was after only becoming a starter half way through the season.
    Back to the Turk; he will of course find some victims in the over sized San Diego locker room. The first round of visitations will have to happen before 4 pm eastern, Tuesday 8/26/08 when the Chargers have to reduce their roster size 75. Most likely the first round of cuts will not offer any surprises, and it is highly unlikely that any of the first round of cuts will hold any practice squad players. The next round will have to take place before 4 pm eastern Saturday 8/30/08 when the team has to reach a 53 man roster.

It will be on August 31 that some of the victims of the Turk will be given a golden second chance. That is the date in which the NFL teams can establish an 8 man practice squad. Now perhaps given the quality of the Chargers roster, some of those cut may end up on the active rosters of other teams, or perhaps other teams practice squads. That is left to be seen. Lets now take a look at who might be in the Turk’s sights…

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hush or the Turk will find you!
    Who will the Turks first victims be? It is purely speculation at this point but we could see a surprise cut or two. Listed below are the players whom I think could receive a visit from the Dreaded Turk:

#2 Billy Vinnedge: K-P Billy, Billy, Billy… Both the Chargers veteran punter and Kicker are healthy and booming the ball… Sorry but you are one of this years equivalent of the red shirted security personnel from Star Trek. The alien android needs to snap someone in half and it certainly isn’t going to be the Captain, or Quarterback as it were…
    #8 Casey Bramlet: Casey, thought you were in the Redskins camp last season but that does not give you a lot of street cred here on the west coat… Can you hear the scraping sound of the wet stone on the blade of the Turk’s scimitar?
    #12 Gary Banks: I feel for you man. Though 12 is an alternate wide receiver number (*2), it is generally held for QBs, punters and kickers. Against Dallas you did make a catch for 12 yards, kudos to you. However I don’t think the Turk was overly impressed.
    #28 Steve Gregory: Steve, man, you have avoided the Turk for two years now, playing sparingly in both ’06 and ’07. However there are a lot of new bodies in the Chargers backfield. It might just be a numbers game at this point. The Turk loves ‘veteran’ victims, so I hear…
    #34 Andrew Pinnock: Andy, you have been with the Chargers since 2003. Each year you the majority of most seasons on the inactive list and enter camp this season on the Physically Unable to Perform list. In that time backs such as Tolbert and Hester are playing and impressing the coaching staff. Are those footsteps you hear behind you? DUCK!
    #38 Brian Bonner: Man, you have no picture or text over at Chargers.com... I think the Turk has already shown his intent.
    #48 Eric Bakhtiari: You have a cool name, but the Chargers are so loaded at LB that they are playing special teams almost exclusively...
    #60 Tyler Luellen: A big body at Tackle. This boy is 6’ 6” and weighs in at 302 pounds! However, I have not heard much mentioned of him in camp, that can’t be something that is in his favor.
    #96 Keith Grennan: Keith! Man, come on, you’re one of the lightest defensive linemen we have on the roster… Super size that happy meal! It might be your last if the Turk is looking for you.
    #80 Malcom Floyd: Malcom, baby… This hurts, I have been pulling for you for some time. But you know the Turk and Norv, they are tight. Word is last season you got in Norv’s dog house. Now Norv, he isn’t a violent man. If he gets angry though, the Turk gets violent. Last time I heard about you was week 6 of ’07. Man I am pullin for you, you have all the talent to be a bonified Chargers wide receive… But you know how it is. I am worried the Turk’s cold gaze is falling upon you now.

(*1) Origins of the term ‘Turk’:
    Every year NFL teams have to reduce their rosters from the expanded training camp size to the 53 man rosters they go throughout the season with. Every year as training camps begin the term ‘Turk’ become synonymous with person whom has to inform the players that they need to see the coach, “Bring your playbook.” Typically this is a position coach or some other team official. Yet it has been depersonalized to the point of calling it the ‘Turk’. This is most likely a means of making a difficult and task that of informing someone their dreams might be at an end, a little less personal and easier to bear.

Current wisdom points to the early 40’s for the coining of the phrase to its current use. The TURK referred to the ancient fierce warriors who would behead their enemies with a scimitar (a curved long sword).

The Turks were also the Turkish revolutionary of the 1920’s who rebelled against the Ottoman Empire leading to its dissolution. The Turkish Revolutionaries were said to be fierce and hard fighters.

So it is believed that the term TURK was used because, though the coach would not be cutting the head from the player, they would certainly be figuratively cutting their hearts out. Also an interesting side note is during the 1940’s there was no playbooks to be returned to the coaches before being let go by the team.

(*2) Position Jersey Numbers:QB, P, K
    Primary: 1-19
    RB, DB
    Primary: 20-49
    C
    Primary: 50-59
    Alternate: 60-79
    G, T
    Primary: 60-79
    WR
    Primary: 80-89
    Alternate: 10-19
    TE
    Primary: 80-89
    DL (NT/DT/DE)
    Primary: 60-79
    Alternate: 90-99
    LB
    Primary: 50-59
    Alternate: 90-99

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    the turk???
    Is that supposed to be a slight against turkish people?
    :flag:

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    By the Thumbing of my Prick......:icon_tease:

good read man

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Good article, Conc.

I disagree that Malcolm Floyd will get the axe, though I did think it was possible earlier in training camp. He's been playing a lot of special teams and Norv obviously likes him. I think it's more likely Osgood gets the axe, though I wouldn't bet on that either.

I also am dubious about Pinnock getting the axe. I am leaning towards us keeping 6 RB/FB on the roster. The role of FB in our offense may be diminishing, but we're still going to have plenty of goalline / short-yardage situations, and game situations like playing with a lead where we need to force the issue in the running game, and I think Pinnock's experience in the offense saves him for one more season.

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    IMO...

Tra Battle goes.

So do wideouts Marco Thomas and Billy Pittman.

And TE John Tereshinski and H-back Wade Betschart, too.

7. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    :icon_rofl:

Come on man, that's just plain mean. Just because the guy looks after himself.......you pick on him!
    surely that's an "ism"? slimism or lightism or something?!!

Seriously good read though, Conc.

I hope your prediction for Malcolm doesn't come true. We might just need him.
    Another good reason to keep him is that Macolm was one of the first ever Scottish Kings - over 1000 years ago - maybe he's got Tartan blood!! (Don't know about the Floyd tho).

Malky must stay!! :tup:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree. I want him to stay, but the numbers game might get him.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I want Floyd to stay, I have never been impressed with Pinnock.

Either way, In AJ I trust.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Steve Gregory was given a contract extension today. The Turk passed him by.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I know.... I suck... :unsure:

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Looks like Malcom is a keeper. Check out what Norv had to say about him last nite...

“He brings a dimension he brought to this team two years ago and it’s exciting for me to see him playing the way he is,” Turner said of Floyd. “He’s going to be a part of what we do.”

I'm delighted for Malcom. :icon_toast::tup:

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

I think it's pretty telling that in the 2-point try versus the Seahawks, Norv had an option between two 6' 5" WR. Which one did he choose? The whiner or the one that could actually leap and make the catch? We all know which one.

Bye Bye, Kassim! All that training with Randy Moss didn't do jack ****. You still can't separate from DBs, can't run routes, can't catch, and both Floyd and Gregory have outplayed you on ST this preseason.

14. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    No they haven't.

Combined they do less for special teams than Osgood. You might not think he is a decent WR, but he is our best player on special teams. Floyd and Gregory on the other hand contribute very little on special teams and in that factor could be easily replaced.

Maybe Floyd and Osgood both stay. One thing is for sure, we don't need two FBs.

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Kassim Osgood hasn't done a damn thing on ST this year, and with all his fuggin' whining about being given a chance as a WR he's screwed that up too.

Floyd's spot is secure, and so is Gregory's. Gregory just got a nice little contract. They wouldn't be giving him such this close to the start of the season if they didn't feel he contributed a lot on ST.

As for Floyd, check it out:

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/bolts-comeback-downs.htm

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080824-9999-1s24chnotes.html

What does all that mean?

Kassim Osgood can kiss his roster spot goodbye. Especially with his ****** play as a WR this preseason. He complained about not being given opportunities, even though that's a lie. He's been given lots of opportunities the last 5 years. Each time, he's screwed the pooch.

Instead of spending time with ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS (AND WR) this offseason with Norv and Charlie Joiner in voluntary OTAs, he decided to party it up running with Randy Moss in Florida. The only freaking player on the team that decided he didn't need to attend.

What has all that playing at Moss' camp brought him? He still can't separate from DBs, can't catch, can't run routes, and in general looks worse than Lo Neal did catching the ball.

This latest game versus the Seahawks is another nail in his roster spot's coffin.

He hasn't done jack **** on special teams this year. Name a special teams play he's made this preseason. Floyd's ascendence on the ST unit, plus his ability to leap and catch, plus his actual ability to get REAL playing time, makes him magnitudes more valuable to Norv than Kassim. KO's just a whiny, once-good ST player. We have plenty of those on the team, that don't whine. Oh yeah, yeah, Pro Bowl and all that crap.

Well, Hanik Milligan went to the Pro Bowl, whined about getting a new contract (instead of playing time), and look what happened to him.

As for two FBs, Pinnock and Tolbert. They'll both make it on the active roster. No PS for Tolbert. Nope. Not unless Norv wants him scooped up before the ink is dry on his waiver. Oh, and Pinnock will make the cut as well.

Pinnock, Tolbert, Floyd, and Gregory will each contribute more than a wanna-be WR that now has multiple equals on ST.

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup:

The bottom line, dude is a whiny biotch who doesn't think he needs to be part of the team in the off season.

that equals the door hittin him in the A55!!

:bolt:

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

Sproles kicked *** last night, as usual. Another good year, and he'll be looking at a contract extension pretty damn soon. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that's my guess - Pinnock will split and Thomas will go on the practice squad

19. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I love that little phucker. He plays with the heart of a lion!! They better sign his extension and soon. I remember last year when he nearly missed the cut and how nervous I was that he'd get cut loose. I loved him at K State and the way he torched the Sooners. I love him that much more in bolts :tup:

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm sold

:tup:

Maybe not so much on punt returns

:no:

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

Looks like teams are punting away from him more, ever since that first Colts game last year where he took two kicks to the house. :yes:

So, Sproles will have to learn to "run to the punt" more often.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not going to say I told you so!

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Do we really need a specialist-gunner when our punter has a 5.5 second hang-time?

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Get in line mister!!

:icon_tease:

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

CUT OSGOOD!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    [​IMG]

BRING OUT YOUR CUT! THE TURK IS HERE! BRING OUT YOUR DEAD (I MEAN CUT!) THE TURK IS HERE!!!

27. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Conc - must admit I am amazed you didn't have Keith "speed bump" Jackson on your list? He would be the very first "visit" come Saturday on my list.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I thought he was on top of your Turk list and I did not want to pilfer your intelectual property...

29. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    But wait! Jackson's dad was a pro-bowler! This can't be...

After all, aren't scouts always telling us how "blood-lines" are so important an impactful right around draft-time when some former hall-of-famers kid is on the board?

30. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ...and you thought this after observing all the footprints on the front of his Jersey last night? :D