1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The unveiling of the NEW 2008 Chargers.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It was the first game after the bye week. 2008 had not started the way it should have, the way the fans though it would, the way the media predicted it would or the way the Chargers promised it would. We had all the talent, the Lamborghini was well tuned, new oil, spark plugs were a go.

Little did we know that the engine of a 10 year of Yugo was under the hood. The Chargers went into the bye week with a mediocre defense on paper, and it did not even show that well on the field. So the Chargers fired the fan reviled Defensive Coordinator Ted Cottrell, and put Ron Rivera in his place.

Cries of redemption could be heard in most Charger households. The season would be saved, the Chargers would respond to Ron, we would put pressure on the Quarterback and all would be well in the world… That is what we thought. However when the new defense was unveiled in time to play the struggling Kansas City Chiefs, we got the full Yugo.

This game was to set the tone for the remainder of the 08 game, to be a confidence builder. It was not. OK, maybe I am just a bit miffed and being unfair. It truly was a confidence builder….

FOR EVERY TEAM THAT WILL FACE THE CHARGERS FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON! Again the defense looked bad, what is worse they did not look Cottrell bad THEY LOOKED WORSE! They were discombobulated, out of position and just incapable of pressuring Tyler Thigpen who was a 3rd string passer at the beginning of this season. In the first half Thigpen moved his struggling offense, with a backup running back, young receivers, and makeshift offensive line down for two touchdowns.

Yes the Chiefs were able to victimize the Chargers defensive unit that was supposed to be re-energized, excited and ready to play again. As I watched I wondered how on earth we could get enough draft picks to rebuild this unit that went from one of the best to one of the worst I have ever seen in one short season.

Star players now looked like rookies. Cromartie played without confidence, at any time you could see him 10 yards beyond the receiver allowing them to make an easy completion and come to him. There was no attack in this unit. There was no swagger.

Maybe I am being unfair but that is just too damn bad. This Chargers team looks to have given up on themselves, this city and these fans! That is unacceptable in my book.

To make matters worse the offense suddenly started sputtering. It is not that they showed little ability to punch the ball in once they reached the 10 yard line. It wasn’t that one side of the offensive line looked like they were just learning the position. It wasn’t the two sick duck passes Rivers put in the air for interceptions instead of taking the sacks. No it was worse.

At least twice the Chargers offense was so poorly prepared that they either had to take a time out of get a flag for delay. The clock management for this game was some of the worst I have seen.

Let me put it this way, Chiefs, Bengals, Lions, maybe the Raiders and Broncos could have been beaten with the effort we the fans were given this weekend. No other team in the NFL would have lost to this, a team that was supposed to be one of the best in the league this season.

I make a Challenge to the Chargers; the players, the organization and the Owners. Answer to the fans. Tell us that you have not given up on this community as your on field productivity has shown. Tell us you are not playing for LA, Las Vegas or San Antonio!

Reach down and get a fistful of manliness and remember what it is to be a feared team. If you don’t have any left go to the Chiefs locker room and borrow a cup. Because they were supposed to have no chance against the great Chargers! They not only had a chance but came out to play! One team did not, and they were lucky to squeak out a win!

So Chargers! Live up to your hype, get your heads in the game. If you are incapable of motivating yourselves for the money you make then I am ashamed! My son’s soccer teams motivate themselves for the treat bags they get at the end of the games.

I know, I know. We ‘won’ the game! Hey last year we were 5-5 and almost went to the Superbowl! That was last year and this team does not have the testicular fortitude to play like the team from last year. Maybe it is because of the people who were let go. Maybe it is because Shawne Merriman isn’t playing. Maybe it is because this team has actually given up already.

Next three games; Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and Atlanta. Three games that the team that played yesterday will have no chance against. The reason why is because they have lost confidence in themselves, the game plan the coaching and the organization. If someone does not do something about it this team will be sitting home in January.

Face it, this team is getting no younger, and the window is closing…

Charger; Are you men?

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh and for the record. It is not 3.5 games without a sack....

I am starting to think the Chargers have no sack...

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Can you get that sent to the players??

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

Everything points to this team being

predictable,unprepared,uninspired

gouda look at the head dood in this case.

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Your right, it does start at the top.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well written.

I actually get more excited when I think about next season.
    Though if they move out of San Diego, I'm out! I don't even want to hear about what the city should have done. Spanos should just hang in there and wait the recession out like everybody else!
    I've supported this franchise financially up to about 15K (season tickets, single game tickets, and merchandise) since the early 90s (it would have been more if I were a San Diego native).

BOTTOM LINE... I've had it with NFL's "No Fan Loyalty" policy. There are many strong fan bases that they've royally screwed!! Spanos needs to be as supportive and loyal to the home fans base as we are to him!!!

6. Not so fast

Not so fast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Concudan: I couldnt agree more!!!!:tup: After being a Bolt fan since the Fouts days I have to admit even after suffering through many many years of frustration with mediocre teams that this team is leaving a bad taste! I dont even get excited on game day anymore and have put away my Charger gear. Somehow I knew this would transpire the minute they hired "Norv the Cancer Turner", he has been a loser for life and always will be. I am so sick of all the excuses we as fans hear that its just not important anymore, this year in particular has gotten me down. Like the Raiders, until we rid ourselves of losers (them, Al Davis, us Norv) and bring in some truly talented leaders we are doomed to teams like this. Look at what Parcels has accomplished with a 1&15 team in one year. Its a sad day in Charger land:icon_sad: NSF

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I've been getting grilled for saying that since the day of the hire. :lol:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I for one was a reformed Norv basher. last season he earned my respect as a coach, this season though in most game the offense has played well, the TEAM has not.

I am very concerned taht if something doesnt change we are going to have a shake up that will set this team back multiple years.

The very thought of that infuriates me, that is the habits of Charger teams of old. Get good then shake things up (A.K.A feuding with boss Ross and having him quit!)...

Chargers have 7 more games and my question stands:

ARE YOU MEN!

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No Lombardi will make this the biggest wasted era in NFL history. No doubt about it. LT's years may be numbers but the rest of the team is not. Rivers, Jackson, Merriman, etc. are not even in the prime of their careers yet.

It's not too late to bring in a better coaching staff!!!

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...One step forward, two steps back. Another step forward, two more steps back. It's beyond belief, nearly impossible to even fathom how far this team has dropped in nearly every conceivable way a football team is measured. The head coach looks like a bewildered grandfather smurf on the sidelines, mirroring his teams lack of fire and confidence. Adversity scares him and leaves him confused. He thought this would be a cakewalk, a little tune-up for next week's trip to Heinz Field. Now it looks like Custer will be leading this group of bozos into a full blown massacre.

The QB at times looked worse than a rookie with his nervous flutter TD pass that nearly didn't get there, to his 2 pathetic INT mistakes. Again, I'm sure Philip thought KC would be little more than a scrimmage, a cozy little comfortable way to test out their new Defense and maybe tighten down some things on offense. Instead they got an opponent filled with fire, something they can't even comprehend.

I'm beyond angry. I doubt this team of arrogant misfits even deserves are support. Have fun in Pittsburgh boys. Maybe if you guys can raise your intensity to the level of the rest of the league, you can walk out of there with the respect of the Steelers, the media and more importantly, the fans who have supported you.

The worst thing about this mess, that seemed to manifest itself out of NOWHERE, is that A.J has traded some future picks and signed some undeserving others to extensions based on what he deemed to be a football team built for now and years to come. I wonder what's going through his head now??

P.S. Nice post Conc. Sadly it looks like you're going to have to remain bald for a phuck of a long time. I MEAN A LOOOOONNNNGGGGGGG TIME!

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Its a shame to, because I am a sexay beotch with hair! :icon_rofl:

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

[​IMG]

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Conc and Scarlett Johansson, separated at birth?.

14. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Concilocks? Where's da Three Bears?

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    You Chicken little.

The Chargers won didn't they?

What kind of fan are you.

Rah Rah Rah...Go Chargers!!! My Mighty Chargers played great at the end!!! YAY!!! YAY!!! YAYY!!!

WORD....WORD...JES SAYIN':icon_toast:

So Conc....LEAVE MY CHARGERS ALONE!!!!:lol:

Word.:icon_toast:

Now to be serious....

GREAT F'N POST CONC!!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    You shouldt of opened that can of worms!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Where's that Conc with hair thread from Poof??

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

HE'S A QUITTER!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That was my thread. It's somewhere in the Lounge.

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    oops, my bad B4L

no disrespect intended

:tup:

21. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Nice thread Conc!!!!!!! but I got to say this.

I have been saying it to myself since Norv was hired I didn’t say anything last year because I saw success in 07. But now I am saying here. NORV IS KILLING THIS TEAM. I didn’t bring it up when I first joined BT but it needs to be brought up and I think a majority of Chargers fans that have any knowledge of football had a little voice in the back of their head saying Norv is the wrong choice. I am not going to breach what Norv has or hasn’t done in the past, but what has he done and been successful at in the NFL? I have heard that he is an offense genius.....not that I have seen the plays called this year have been obvious and predictable. I don’t think I have seen a cleaver play called all year just basic run, pass, throw plays that bore me and I sure it is boring the players as well. As coach McGinty (Gene Hackman) was asked in the movie The Replacements “what is it going to take to get your team back into this game”? Coach McGinty replied, “HEART, MILES AND MILES of HEART”

I don’t see HEART from the Chargers from the top down administration, coaches, players or staff. Because if there was HEART they would have played a much more inspired game than they did yesterday even if they did lose at least they tried. Money only inspires people so much if there is no job satisfaction what do you have?

And to those that say a win is a win are wrong because its not whether you win or lose it how you play the game.

:bolt::bolt::bolt: GO CHARGERS :bolt::bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No problem. It's up in the Lounge at the top.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Not so fast

Not so fast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Heres what I see, Parcells goes into Miami and hires some no name guy by the name of Spagnola or something and he installs friggin college plays that KILLED US and a few other teams also. The Saints hire a guy I never heard of in Payton for a coach and he's called genuis. Why did we hire a retread that was NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER worth a crap as a head coach, NEVER, why did we think that would change. Aikman may think he's an offensive guru but that was in a offensive cordinator role not HNIC.
    I have never seen such a reversal in one team in my life, these guys literally stink up the field. Who do you blame for that, I call it from the top down, thats the way it is. Turner sucks period!:tdown: Now watch us go into Steeler land and win :icon_huh: Go figure!! NSF

• Like Like x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    There are just as many young coaches who dont work out. I dont bag on AJ for bringing anyone in.

He pulled the trigger on Cottrell, so he will continue to do what is best for the team, IMO.

25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    They are Devo.

26. Not so fast

Not so fast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, I'll give you that about young coaches that dont work out BUT they were a gamble to start with whereas Tuner and Cottrell HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LOSERS, thers no hiding it is there. Sorry, but I dont buy into the "givem another chance" theory. Too many examples duiring the play of the game to pick apart their strategies IMO. You'll never convince me that Turner is anything more that a natural born loser and I'm losing a little faith in AJ's judgement also!!!!! NSF

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    As a fan you should support the team thru thick and thin. Also as fan you have the right to gripe, *****, scream, gnash teeth, crush beer cans against your head or spew raspberries all you want. But if a Raiduh fan does it, time to close ranks.

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Wish I could think of even a half-assed reason to disagree. We'll see when when the helmets are lined up.

29. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    What happens if the Chargers beat the Steelers?

Or if the Chargers actually make the playoffs?

Ron Rivera has only had 1 game, most of you even said he couldn't turn it around that fast and the defense looked a lot better in the 2nd half and looked better than Cottrell's defense, the CBs were actually playing bump and run.

30. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Conc you never disappoint me :icon_toast:

Now to just find a way to send it to the players:lol:.

No seriously, it would help them. I'll try to do some research..