1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The very basic fundamentals of coaching.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Oct 5, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Forget about Anti-Norv, Pro-Marty, or what ever else you can think of. Lets get to what a coach is and how one works.
    Some posters feel that NFL is no different than any other job and that the paycheck should motivate you to show up and work hard. Well it's more than that but you might actually have a point.

This is Concudan's solution to the problem.
    "The Coaching staff is also going to have to look in the mirror long and hard. The team has become undisciplined (Leading the league in penalties through the first three weeks) and unfocused. They have to find a way to motivate these men and get a fire burning in their bellies. Question their manhood, question their morals, question their parentage! What ever works!"
    I'm sorry but that's a really, really bad idea.

I've worked for several companies. When the company had good management, everybody put in 110%, bent over backwards, and busted their asses to bring the company higher. Because they wanted to stay.

I've also worked for some that had terrible management and they tried bullying, belittling, and things like that. In return they got employees just putting in 8 hours, sending out resumes to other companies, and collecting their paychecks.

BOTTOM LINE... as a coach, if you need to result to question their manhoods, morals, parentage, or any other form of belittling, THEN YOU FLAT OUT SUCK! NOTHING will make you lose your team faster than that! NOTHING!!! And once a coach has lost his team, he's done.

A good coach earns his player's respect. Which is done when the players respect your work ethic, play calling, intelligence, etc. And when they see progress building thought that. When the players have a coach like that, they want to get out there and put in everything they have to help the team. Cause not only do they want to win but they want to stay as they also what the coach to stay.

If the coach can't earn the players respect, then he doesn't stand a chance. Money is no longer a matter, they just don't want to be around him. Just like the part about comparing NFL to any other form of work... well that's when the players would prefer to work elsewhere unless there is a coaching change next season.

It is impossible to work for someone that you don't respect. Here's some examples for you...
    Remember back in 2000 when a Raider headbutted Leaf under the chin and nobody on his team even went to help him up or see if he was OK?
    If someone did that to Rivers, do you think the same thing would happen? HELL NO!!! Our entire bench would clear to kill that POS!!! Though there wouldn't be much left of him after the offensive line got him. Same thing would have happened if it were Brees or Humphries.

That is how the very basic fundamentals of coaching work.

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Ummmm can't exactly agree. Parcell's would hold nothing back with players & Singletary had his issues with his tightend and players seem to respond to him. What about Tomlin with Mendenhall? Although that was a little different. I believe a coach can do whatever he wants and still have the players behind him as long as it is a coach that has been there and done that. No a Mangini, well that is just a plain old train wreck. Or maybe it comes down to a coach actually having a backbone.
    You're scenario about how many jobs you've held is somewhat correct. But at the same time I'm sure that you were and are easily replaced. A NFL player isn't and with them it's a 2 way road but most of all a player will put up with more then you because of the money they make. Pay me the millions of dollars they make and it's amazing the **** I'll put up with.:yes:

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well, in the workplace, I gotta agree.

My boss well, nevermind

:lol:

4. jfyr727

jfyr727 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    B4L: I understand your frustrations and proactive attitude to see an improvement in the Chargers; but aren't you really reaching here?

"I've worked for several companies. When the company had good management, everybody put in 110%, bent over backwards, and busted their asses to bring the company higher. Because they wanted to stay.

I've also worked for some that had terrible management and they tried bullying, belittling, and things like that. In return they got employees just putting in 8 hours, sending out resumes to other companies, and collecting their paychecks.
    "

I'm confused, at these companies were you a coach or a football player? Beacuse according to you (over and over again it seems); you have the answer to the Charger's coaching problems.

If you are experienced in coaching professional football (which I am not, so you very well may be) and this is a "Fundamaentals of Coaching 101- then by all means... fill out an application and take our team to the SB. You may be on to something here.

If not... relax. I'm not the biggest Norv fan... but he's there now... if we don't make the playoffs then hopefully something will be done.

:deadhorse:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Those coaches you mentioned don't hold back BUT their players also respect them. Parcells has a resume that speaks for itself. Singletary is with a team that's sucked for almost a decade and the players see a guy that can get them out of the hole.
    Those guys have leverage.

If any player is half decent, another team will pick him up.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

As I said "some posters feel that NFL is no different than any other job and that the paycheck should motivate you to show up and work hard. Well it's more than that but you might actually have a point."

ei: Football is their job, though I know it's not the same thing as working behind a desk. Because football is also a passion that begins as a child.

As you mentioned "we need a proactive attitude." You're right on target there! Reactive is bad.

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    But what was Parcell's resume when he took over the Giants? He was basically a hardnosed coach that pulled no punches. The players understood what he was trying to do and as a man respected that. Players now a days are a different breed, hell as a whole kids arfe a different breed now a days. I'm sure if I put more time and thought into it I can find other coach's who treated players rough. That is why I question your Basic Fundamentals. Certain coach's talk with authority and back it up, others are the offspring of great coach's that think they can do the same and it just doesn't work. I can point out enough the name mangini. They guy is the ultimate *******.

8. jfyr727

jfyr727 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9

Being in the NFL is nothing like a real job. How can it be? The players are held to an entirely different set of standards and under an enormous amount of stress and an extreme amount of scrutiny. Passion is just the beggining.

Don't confuse my post as me disagreeing with you; It's just frustrating to read all these posts of yours with the "Fire Norv/We need a new coaching staff " message when it's only week 4-to early in the season for firing coaches. Norv will not be fired now; there's nothing anybody can do about that. That would be even more detrimental to our team.

So for now, I'm going to be proactive and support my team and discuss/analyze plausible situations to get the Chargers to a stellar season.

:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Mangini? :icon_shrug:

Here is a guy who has a QB controversy going and yet traded away Sanchez.

10. jfyr727

jfyr727 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    That's a different can of worms.

11. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Anybody that says a coach doesn't , can't or shouldn't have to motivate their players (adult or young adult) has never been in a truly competetive scenario. At one time in my life I had an Olympic coach and I was headed to compete in that arena as an Olympian.

Bottom line is the with the SD Chargers is they are playing to the coaching level. Of course their are other circumstances ie. injuries and that is all I can think of at this point, but "come on man" "child please" the players are playing to the coaching level. Norv SUCKS. I would love to like him but at this point, NO WAY!!!!!!!! The players are playing their hearts out for him and it isn't working and is it all his fault, I don't believe it is AJ has not done what needs to get done.

When a coach can't adjust to what he has there is a problem. I know I don't get much notice or respect here but that is the way I see it.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Norv's calling in life is as an OC or QB coach. The quicker AJ and Norv realize that the better.

I like Norv and want him to prove the rest of the league wrong but his window for doing so is again closing.

Between him and AJ they have created large holes in critical places on this team and Norv is unable to compensate the team's weaknesses with smart coaching.

No one can argue this team doesn't look poorly coached right now.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm afraid I have to disagree about being a football player is like any other job. If that were true, there would be more people qualified to do it, but the percentage of the population who are is vanishingly small when you deal with NFL level play. Few jobs, with the exception of, say, boxing, are more punishing-but boxers aren't in the ring for 16 straight weeks, maybe more if their mates are any good. Then there's the pub, the money, the celebrity, the perqs, the women, the grifters and hangers on and the equivalent of torches and pitchforks every time one of them screws up in such a public way. There is a small number of productive years for most, followed by severe arthritis, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and terminal boredom for quite a few. Especially if they've blown their money on ephemera. It's no more like any other job than being a neurosurgeon is. Given the choice, however, I'd pick brain surgery for a career.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I acknowledged that. You'll have to talk to other posters about that.

As for FIRE NORV... Well I hated him coming here to begin with. Cause he sucks!! What did he do with any other team he coached? EXACTLY!!!

Our fans (in here) better get a reality check!!!

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The OP has some serious flaws in his analogy, you can't be friends and then command respect it doesn't work like that. HC's have to be more like drill instructor's and put the fear of all creation in you.

They have to be tough when a person screws up but fair and equal through out. If during practice one guy blows it make the whole squad suffer, he'll get the hint and very fast. Team work is what it's all about, if one piece breaks down the whole machine breaks down.

Being in my like of work, I didn't have to rely on co-workers or management for that matter, I pretty much did my own thing. Since I was on commission, if I didn't produce I didn't get paid. If I chose to have a bad tude or slack off it only affected me.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly. And don't be so sure that AJ doesn't realize that. It's that his desire to have a groveling peon as a HC outweighs his desire to win a championship.

Alan, no one is denying that there are problems with this team. TEAM. Get it?? TEAM. There is plenty of blame to go around. I, like you, never wanted Norv or Fat Teddy here. But they came &, because I pull for a TEAM, I have tried to support them.

You mistake the fact that the rest of us don't jump up & down like pissy little girls & ramrod "Norv sucks" tirades into every thread as support for his every decision. The issue is that YOU can't stand not being the center of attention & being able to thump your chest & say "I said Norv sucked first".

It's the internet, dude. Nobody really gives a shite if you said it first or not. That's the Trumpy ego maniacal school of thought.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I know that, you know that, but since when does reality fit into B4L's world here? :icon_shrug:

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    you forgot about the scratching of the nuts in that tirade

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My bad. :lol:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Some people in here need to read harder.

All I said is that it is their job.