1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Whizzer headed to the Lions?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    If Lions fire Jim Schwartz, Ken Whisenhunt may replace him
    Posted by Michael David Smith on December 24, 2013, 12:29 PM EST

It may be premature to talk about the next head coach of the Detroit Lions, considering that the current head coach, Jim Schwartz, has not been fired. But with Schwartz widely regarded to be on the firing line after Detroit’s meltdown over the last six weeks, one name is emerging as an early favorite to succeed Schwartz: Ken Whisenhunt.

Both the Detroit News and Detroit Free Presshave stories today suggesting not only that Whisenhunt could be the next coach, but even that the Lions may have already reached out to Whisenhunt, the former Cardinals head coach and current Chargers offensive coordinator.

Whisenhunt would make sense on a lot of levels: He’s well regarded as a coach who can get the most out of his passing offense, which the Lions need, considering that Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson will take up a huge portion of their salary cap for years to come. He’s an experienced NFL head coach who took the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl, so perhaps he could take the Lions to their first Super Bowl, too. And he was a teammate of Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew for two seasons in Washington, so there may be a level of familiarity there.

The Texans are also believed to be interested in interviewing Whisenhunt for their head-coaching vacancy, and as more jobs open up, Whisenhunt may have multiple offers. He’s going to be one of the hottest candidates when the NFL coaching feeding frenzy begins in six days.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    We knew it was coming. He has experience and even took a team to the Super Bowl. A promotion back to the HC ranks is inevitable and only a matter of when.

Just find a good replacement and I won't hate it.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    McCoy will just take over the OC duties like Norv....... what's not to like? ;)

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Just because Norval stunk at HC/OC doesn't mean McCoy would.

I'd be open-minded.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    I think Dean made it clear that he wanted the two jobs to be separate from now on.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I'm cool with that too, if true.

I guess I just misinterpreted the intent of your post.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    As one who was never lazy enough to demonize Norv,
    I still think the division of labor is almost aways a good idea.

Too much rides on a HC's decisions to have his attention divided...

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Frank Reich would do fine in a pinch so I'd call it covered.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    More like you were never intelligent enough to know what was actually going on.

Deeerf 60% deerf :poop:

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    And no nepotism.......... unless they're a Spanos. ;)

11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    Not for Whisenhunt if next Sunday plays out the way we want it to play out!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    So who are the most likely options to replace Kenny if/when he bails?

13. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    IDK but I trust TT and MM to make a great hire. That being said, I hope the next OC is reasonably close to how good KW has been for us. Gonna be a hard act to follow.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Reich should be the top candidate unless someone who comes available on Black Monday presents a more experienced option as a play-caller. If the Cowboys clean house then either Jason Garrett or Bill Callahan could be names to watch, particularly the later as both he and McCoy come from the Paul Hackett branch of the Bill Walsh coaching tree. Another name to watch could be Geep Chryst - San Francisco's QB coach who worked several years on the same Carolina offensive staff as McCoy - and worked closely with McCoy who was the passing game coordinator and Chryst was the TE's coach and Offensive Quality Control coach. Bill Musgrave is another possibility - not flashy, but when he's actually had talent at the QB position, his offenses have produced well and he runs a similar style of West Coast varietal to what McCoy appears to prefer.

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Wish Whiz the best, but good luck coaching the Lions, that team is similar to the Raiders at times when it comes to penalties. Maybe that lies on the coach but we've seen it as a current theme for the Raiders no matter who the coach is, Lions are very similar.

I'll tell you though, Whiz would do damage with that offense of Stafford, Bush, Megatron, Pettigrew, Fauria, etc.

I do like Reich finally getting a gig at OC, but he'll most likely leave with Whiz, I hope we retain Joe D, he was a McCoy and Telesco hire.

16. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Were all these coaches hired on one year gigs when TT and MM took over the reigns? It'll be a shame to see a break in continuity after such a short time during a rebuild process.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    No, but it's generally considered bad form to block a promotional hire. A lateral one, yes that's typically fine. But also, some of these guys have more loyalty to the guy that got them the job than the guy who gave them the job. Though technically, the front office is under no obligation to release anyone from their contract other than if they're hired as a Head Coach, which the league (and the coaches association) has rules preventing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Ahh cheers LBC, I wasn't aware. Thanks for clearing that up.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    A tradition I've come to hate. When coaches sign a long term deal they should be held to it the same way players are. There's no reason a hot shot OC planning to be a one and done wouldn't have HC jobs lined up after the '14 season anyway if he is as good as advertised. An absolute minimum of 50% of the contract should be completed before a team has to allow a coach to leave for greener pastures. Otherwise the team that was smart enough to hire such a good candidate in the first place only gets punished for it in the end when they have to start the search over again,with potentially an unknown quantity.

But that's just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    Why isn't anyone exploring the option of Whizz staying right here? Maybe he becomes our HC?
    Or he stays put for another year?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  21. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Whisenhunt could end up sticking around if he doesn't get a job offer from a team with a good QB situation this offseason. I believe he turned down Buffalo and Cleveland this last offseason. And he probably knows that this next stop has to work out for him. It's not often a guy gets 3 shots at a HC gig without winning a ring along the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Detroit may hire our Whizzer, The Wonderful Whizzer of Ours
    They hear he is a whiz of a whiz, if ever a whiz there was
    If ever, oh ever a whiz there was, This Whizzer of Ours is one because
    Because, because, because, because, because
    Because of the wonderful plays he does

Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 1.00.50 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Two spots downs, and no buzz around Whisenhunt yet.

O'Brien to Houston and Lovie to Tampa.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Cleveland is interviewing Jim Schwartz to be their new DC which mean Ray Horton is allowed to find a job elsewhere. Would love to bring him over here

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Yes and how. Sadly at this point, unless we get absolutely blown-out in Cincy on Sunday - I don't see McCoy and Telesco being so mercurial as to can Pagano following a season where we made the playoffs.

Also, with Schwartz being hired as a coordinator in Cleveland, that likely means they already know who their intended HC is - they just haven't (or haven't been able to formally interview him or satisfy things like the Rooney Rule yet). And all signs point to McDumbass being that guy - since he and Lombardi (Cleveland's GM) have a virtual bromance (notice how it was always Lombardi breaking all those stories about the Broncos when McDaniels was the HC).

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Pags isn't getting fired per TT. So Horton would have to come in as a secondary coach (which would be amazing). I want to say that there's not a chance it'll happen, but that's also what I said about Whisenhunt stepping down to OC. I still don't see it, but would love it.

27. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    That would be ideal from what I've seen. Wiz>ABN

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Ron Rivera taking a spot as our LBer coach comes to mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  29. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    That's a good call.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776